New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

just updated a7r with no problems
a6000 (with the a6000 firmware obviously), froze mid update.

Battery out, different battery, remove SD card & lens.
Now only getting red LED next to battery compartment.

It's just within the 1 year from purchase, but I have a 2 year retailer guarantee so will be going in tomorrow to get a replacement

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

I had a similar update issue last year on my A7R - camera totally froze. I had everything ready to send it in for repair, when I decided to turn every possible knob on the camera out of desperation while the frozen camera was powered on. Somehow this triggered something (I believe the mode knob made a difference here by turning back and forward), and the camera started up again and worked fine. The next updates worked without any issues including 3.1.

Mar 23, 2016 at 05:14 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

Called sony support and we tried everything.

Luckily I tried the firmware update again and somehow it resumed from where it was (even though i closed the firmware update application) and this time the update completed and all is ok now.

:-)

Mar 23, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

Why are Sony firmware updates so risky, unreliable and cumbersome? You should be able to simply copy the firmware update to an SD card and load it directly on the camera. Others seem to have figured this out so what's the deal?

Mar 23, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

Very strange. After all, they design exceptional rootkits..
(couldn't miss the opportunity to take a jab)

Mar 23, 2016 at 08:10 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

As an aside, yours is a great example why people shouldn't assume their camera, phone, device was bricked by am update. There's often something that can be done. Glad it worked out for you!

Mar 23, 2016 at 08:48 PM
CronoDL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

That's happened to me before. The update seemed to have frozen/bricked. All I did was run the update again and it updated correctly.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:35 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

And in another thread someone asked me why I didn't plan to update my A7rII to v3.1 unless I buy a GM lens (which is essentially what this update was for), and questioned my nostalgia for a nice, easy Fuji firmware update.

Firmware via computer is a bad idea for a lot of reasons!

Mar 24, 2016 at 01:52 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Why are Sony firmware updates so risky, unreliable and cumbersome? You should be able to simply copy the firmware update to an SD card and load it directly on the camera. Others seem to have figured this out so what's the deal?

+1. I am still surprised that it wasn't changed in the meantime. The step-by-step procedure is still the same as for the first firmware update 2 years ago. I can only explain it with a lack of Sony resources to improve the software in general and the firmware update process.

Mar 24, 2016 at 07:04 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

As risky and flaky as their updates seem to be, don't give up, in most cases of failed updates I've had or come across on the net, they have all been able to complete the update if they continued trying.

Mar 25, 2016 at 01:54 AM
banzee

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3.1 firmware update just killed my a6000

Firmware updates are really cumbersome in some digital brands. Were you using System software Ver.3.10??
Whatever be the case, it is good that you successfully done the firmware update. If in case you require, here are few additional links.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE6000&LOC=3#/howtoTab
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/ilce-6000

Mar 25, 2016 at 04:01 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.