New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fall foliage in Maine

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall foliage in Maine

I have a dream of Fall foliage in Maine, cruising and eating lobsters while enjoying the fall colors. Would appreciate any idea, suggestion from those who have been there and done that.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:21 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall foliage in Maine

When would be the most colorful time? Sept? October?

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall foliage in Maine

Bob,
Others may be able to help a bit more. I live in New England and for me the best foliage is in Vermont, although great foliage can be found throughout parts of New England, including Maine.
Timing varies from year to year, depends on elevation, rainfall and temperature shifts. Coastal Maine changes much later than the "mountains" of western Maine...like by Sunday River and parts further north. Hours away from the seacoast.
Acadia NP is worth a visit, has some elevation. I would estimate early October. In the mountains of New England at higher elevations and further north peak color progresses north to south, often beginning in mid-September and in southern areas holding up to around Columbus Day.
As far as locations... there are many. Coastal Maine offers lighthouses, windjammers, rocky shores. Acadia/Bar Harbor, Camden, Portland Head Light moving Down East to south. Any travel including Columbus Day weekend is likely to be a bit congested in popular areas and only the southern Maine locations are likely to have good color.
If you have the time, thinking about flying into Burlington VT 3rd week in September, looping through the mountains of northern VT, main north-south routes, cross into NH and head over to Maine, heading up the coast to Acadia, then head south and leave from Portland. 4-5 days?

Also, check out other threads with links to VT foliage sites that update the peak each year, offer suggested routes, etc.

Scott

Mar 23, 2016 at 06:28 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall foliage in Maine

sbeme wrote:
Bob,
Others may be able to help a bit more. I live in New England and for me the best foliage is in Vermont, although great foliage can be found throughout parts of New England, including Maine.
Timing varies from year to year, depends on elevation, rainfall and temperature shifts. Coastal Maine changes much later than the "mountains" of western Maine...like by Sunday River and parts further north. Hours away from the seacoast.
Acadia NP is worth a visit, has some elevation. I would estimate early October. In the mountains of New England at higher elevations and further north peak color progresses north
...Show more

Thanks Scott,
I will be there with Mrs, who is not crazy about driving around. Just cruising and lobster.
I have been checking, You are right, the fall is later around the coast. Second half of Oct I will be cruising the Antarctica. So I may plan this Maine cruising for next year.
BTW, I will have time. Retirement in 2 months! Ha....

Mar 23, 2016 at 07:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall foliage in Maine

Rockland Maine's annual LobsterFest is in August, a great time to travel Maine. Hotels book well in advance.

Mar 23, 2016 at 08:58 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall foliage in Maine

sbeme wrote:
Rockland Maine's annual LobsterFest is in August, a great time to travel Maine. Hotels book well in advance.

I hope I can convince mrs to go to this one.
When I was still young and beautiful, 45 years ago, I had a raw oyster in a dim lit bar in New Orleans. I will have to try this again.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Ed McGuirk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall foliage in Maine

Given what you want to do, Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor is the best place to go. Peak foliage in the mountains of NH, VT, and ME is typically from late September thru about October 10th or 12th. But Acadia runs later than this, as the ocean environment has the foliage peaking a bit later, usually around October 10th to 15th. Reserve hotels far in advance, they can fill up with leaf peepers.

But there is a catch, while mid-October is a the typical peak timing for Acadia, last year we had a very warm September, and peak foliage in many parts of New England was 7 to 10 days later than normal. Here in New England this year we have had an unusually warm Winter due to El Nino. I have no idea what that means for this Autumn. But if you can be in Bar Harbor for an entire week from 10/10 thru 10/17, you should have a decent chance at good foliage at some point in that time range.

Mar 25, 2016 at 04:21 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall foliage in Maine

Ed McGuirk wrote:
Given what you want to do, Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor is the best place to go. Peak foliage in the mountains of NH, VT, and ME is typically from late September thru about October 10th or 12th. But Acadia runs later than this, as the ocean environment has the foliage peaking a bit later, usually around October 10th to 15th. Reserve hotels far in advance, they can fill up with leaf peepers.

But there is a catch, while mid-October is a the typical peak timing for Acadia, last year we had a very warm September, and peak foliage
...Show more

Thanks, that is great info.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM
d4mike
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fall foliage in Maine

I have a friend that lives on Mount Desert Island in Seal Harbor, born there actually, very close to Acadia.
My wife and I are going there this fall for the colors, after a four day camping trip on Moosehead Lake to look for moose, bears, eagles, and stars first.

He runs a photo workshop and has lodging as well. He likes the middle of October, but has been noted above the seasons can change.

Historically upper Michigan is in peak the second or third week of October, so we went up the third week, pretty green everywhere, but the fourth week? Booming color.

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:20 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.