New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Kimberly

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kimberly

Congratulations to Evan Baines for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 3 votes - View Previous Winners

Most recent session. I liked this shot. We're getting close to graduation and many of my classmates have been asking for pictures. Your thoughts and comments are of course welcome.

http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/kimberly-001.jpg

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:21 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kimberly

really nice...I think this is the best yet!

Mar 23, 2016 at 01:23 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kimberly

I think this is a good portrait of this Capt. I like the hair light (kicker) and I think the open lighting on her face works well for her.

Mar 23, 2016 at 01:26 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kimberly

I think you nailed this one and you get kudos for managing the light to avoid reflections in her glasses.

Mar 23, 2016 at 04:42 AM
ShahanaPinky
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kimberly

Beautiful elegant photo. Like this so much.

Mar 23, 2016 at 05:28 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kimberly

BG is dead on Evan! Beautiful and most complimentary to the Captain!
Dan

Mar 23, 2016 at 01:56 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kimberly

Very nice portrait, her smile make this picture most interesting.

Marcelo

Mar 23, 2016 at 02:39 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kimberly

Thank you all.

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
I think you nailed this one and you get kudos for managing the light to avoid reflections in her glasses.

She always wears glasses and would look different without them. The subject has a combination of an awkward prescription and lenses that aren't anti-reflective. I had noticed in the past that there was almost no angle at which light wouldn't reflect. I think her face shape strongly benefits from short light, which is harder to do with glasses. In addition, she favors a narrow frame style that tends to bisect her eyes if worn down the nose to prevent reflections. In all, a recipe for restrictions on my lighting I didn't want.

So I told her to find a set of inexpensive glasses with a frame shape she liked, and I took a hammer to them.

Mar 23, 2016 at 04:44 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kimberly

Evan Baines wrote:
Thank you all.

She always wears glasses and would look different without them. The subject has a combination of an awkward prescription and lenses that aren't anti-reflective. I had noticed in the past that there was almost no angle at which light wouldn't reflect. I think her face shape strongly benefits from short light, which is harder to do with glasses. In addition, she favors a narrow frame style that tends to bisect her eyes if worn down the nose to prevent reflections. In all, a recipe for restrictions on my lighting I didn't want.

So I told her to
...Show more

In Ranger training we called that "Improvise, adapt, overcome!"...You did that well!

Mar 23, 2016 at 05:41 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kimberly

Evan Baines wrote:
Thank you all.

So I told her to
...Show more

Ok, seriously, now I feel called out as an idiot! I had to look back, I think the color of the inner arm tricked me into thinking there's a reflection. Excuses, excuses. Thanks for the explanation.

Along the technical side, a recommendation I've oft heard for dealing with reflective objects is to use polarized light sources.

Mar 24, 2016 at 03:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kimberly

That's correct, but getting the polarization material required to cover my 64" modifier would be expensive and difficult. Knocking the lenses out of a cheap pair of glasses was effective, inexpensive, and therapeutic.

Mar 24, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kimberly

Evan Baines wrote:
That's correct, but getting the polarization material required to cover my 64" modifier would be expensive and difficult. Knocking the lenses out of a cheap pair of glasses was effective, inexpensive, and therapeutic.

As I stated above my brother..."Improvise, adapt, overcome"...used by both Rangers and Marines Force Recon
DL

Mar 24, 2016 at 02:35 PM
PhilF
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kimberly

I think your highlights on the face is a bit hot...normally with people with this type of skin tone. I can barely see skin texture. The kicker and fill is in the right amount.

Mar 24, 2016 at 06:28 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kimberly

Wow. This portrait is stunning. Very well done. I can not tell you enough how perfect this is to my eyes in almost every aspect.

Mar 24, 2016 at 07:02 PM
DownToThis

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kimberly

Great pic as usual and congratulations on the upcoming graduation!

Mar 24, 2016 at 08:23 PM
jodo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kimberly

Looks like a big time magazine cover. Grabs and entertains the eye. She should love it. And great use of your hammer.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:33 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kimberly

I'm a rank amateur, but in my opinion, that's a damned fine portrait! I like everything, including her smile!

Mar 25, 2016 at 02:39 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kimberly

Congrats Evan. Well done and deserved.

Apr 02, 2016 at 02:45 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kimberly

airfrogusmc wrote: