Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Have you guys ever take on job you don't like to pay bills?

As a weekend warrior, someone has the audacity to say I'd book with you if you charge $xx for 2 photographer and they are currently price shopping with another photographer - it's $1000 under my normal package ($3500). I told them to go ahead and book whoever you like, but I won't lower it. I feel like my heart has to be in it, or I'll resent doing it. This being much easier when I don't rely on wedding photography as main income.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

If you need the money to actually survive (pay rent, feed you or your family) then beggars can't be choosers and I've done my fair share of subprime photography jobs to pay the bills.

If you are a week-end warrior with a full time week job that pays well enough to live on, I would advise you to NOT book price shoppers and simply wait for better clients.

Price shoppers won't value your work or your photography. They also tend to make lousy clients.

Mar 21, 2016 at 02:16 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

I pretty much agree with the above.

If you need the money - take it. Know that it likely won't be a good time, and prepare yourself for that. Just focus on "If I get through this, I get $XXXX in the bank!" If you don't need the money - don't take it. Simple as that.

Mar 21, 2016 at 03:02 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Ya I mean if you need the money you need the money.
If you are OK with shooting something that isn't perfectly your style or whatever then there is nothing wrong with that. For the most part I would say take work that fits you best but we have taken some family sessions etc. that are not really "us" just for the easy money. They are not life changing and don't do anything to further our brand on the blog etc. but they pay so it is what it is.

Mar 21, 2016 at 03:30 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

I have done a few deals like this many years ago. Without exception price shoppers are the worst clients I've ever had. Never again.

There's a reason I charge more than some. I'm a better photographer to have at your wedding. Have fun with your "cheap" photographer. If you want me, the price is the price.

Gordon

Mar 21, 2016 at 03:47 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Work is like that. It's work, it's not supposed to be fun. And sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you take the job to pay the cell phone bill or pad the bank account a bit. To the photographers who can afford to be prima donnas, more power to them. That's great. I know from photojournalism that it's the best job ever. But because my work is all metro/local coverage I'll never get that same amount of recognition or respect that the guys who go to Syria and the Sudan get. That's where the glory is. But someone has to cover the crazy boyfriend murder suicide, the high school basketball team winning the championship, the flood prone areas that the city has ignored for years. It's not going to make me one of PetaPixel's or DigitalRev's "top 25 photographers" but it has to be done and it absolutely deserves to be done well. I don't mind being that guy.

As far as weddings go. I charge an hourly rate. I don't mind doing a two or four hour wedding. It's still money in my pocket. And I charge enough that it's a profit not a burden. But if someone wants a photographer and they're paying enough to warrant my time and talent. I'll take their money.

Mar 21, 2016 at 03:56 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

More money is always nice but I don't NEED the money.

Photography is a hobby for me first before I found out I can charge $3-4k/wedding if you are a good photographer. I don't want it to be work and just don't care about what and who I shoot. I don't think I was being a prima donna when they undercut my package by $1000. If they ask for $200 off, I wouldn't mind.

I refused 4 hours wedding at $250/hr because it's prime wedding date. I'd rather do 12 hours wedding & engagement session for $4k than driving back and forth with an assistant for $250/hr.

Mar 21, 2016 at 04:13 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

In work you have 2 choices:
Do what you like or
Like what you do

If you need the money do it and enjoy it. Don't pre-judge. The same people that "dislike price-shoppers" are sometimes the same ones that look endlessly for the cheapest price for a lens instead of being out taking photos.

Mar 21, 2016 at 04:36 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Level1, the tone of your initial post sounds regretful — are you second guessing your decision?

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:05 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Quite the opposite. I booked 2 more wedding @ 4k/each who appreciate my work instead of asking $2100 for 2 photographers. I also receive more inquiries since then. I only allow myself to book up to 2 wedding a month due to family obligation/full time job, so it's no big deal to me. Just a rant how I can never do this full time and just do the job to pay the bill.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:09 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

level1photog wrote:
I refused 4 hours wedding at $250/hr because it's prime wedding date. I'd rather do 12 hours wedding & engagement session for $4k than driving back and forth with an assistant for $250/hr.

That's just smart inventory management. Prime Saturdays is are no-discount, full day only commissions.

Don't be offended by anyone's request for anything. Unless you walk through life over-spending on everything and never comparison shop, that's calling the kettle black. Last week the brother of a bride from 5 years ago wanted the same rate his sister got in 2011. I wasn't offended. It's just business, and the answer is no.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:16 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

That's what I thought. Just a rant.

level1photog wrote:
Quite the opposite. I booked 2 more wedding @ 4k/each who appreciate my work instead of asking $2100 for 2 photographers. I also receive more inquiries since then. I only allow myself to book up to 2 wedding a month due to family obligation/full time job, so it's no big deal to me. Just a rant how I can never do this full time and just do the job to pay the bill.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:17 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Thanks. I guess this is still my first year doing this and dealing with the creative/service industry that drive me nuts sometime when friends/family ask for discount/free shoot plus low balling me on offers.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:20 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Your other job — does it pay more than $200 an hour?

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:34 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

It's 6 figures with alot of benefits. $200/hr doesnt factor in time I edit. I spend more time editing than taking pictures.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:44 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Got it. Sounds like all you need is a better ego protector jacket to slip on when the next price-shopper knocks on your door. They'll be more — most certainly.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:55 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

Yeah I think I have to learn be more thicker skin.

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

This week we received an inquiry for an event at The Viceroy in Aspen. First question from the bride, "can I get a discount?" Ha ha ha ha ... no.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

It's a job, it pays - I sure as hell don't and don't have to like every wedding. If I wasn't getting paid I wouldn't even be photographing it anyway.

There is always the PITA factor, if they are going to be high maintenance there is no harm in sticking a higher price tag and not budging.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Taking on Wedding You Don't Like

To me it's more than a job. I do it be because I enjoy it. What other hobby that pay you a lot of money if you are good? Most suck alot of money without a chance to make money. People pay you to travel to their wedding capturing beautiful scenery, venue and couple and you get to eat.

I could have work overtime at my full time job and earn similar pay without buying all the expensive lighting gears, meeting, and social media updates. I do it because I enjoy it and I'm good at it. I want to get to a 5-6k range doing max two weddings a month with a one or two short session a week.

Couple who ask for $1000 discount and expect an additional photographer are red signal for PITA client. They better in my top package for me to consider it's worth it.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:17 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.