FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · New Olympus Pen-F

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · New Olympus Pen-F

As a counterpoint, I don't really notice a delay with the trackpad.

Apr 17, 2016 at 08:00 AM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · New Olympus Pen-F

Jman13 wrote:
As a counterpoint, I don't really notice a delay with the trackpad.

Maybe I had some sort of delay mode active no it ? Olympus menu's are nothing if not deep....

On mine, it would take a very deliberate touch and hold of the LCD, for about 3-4 seconds before it would let you move the AF point around.

I could see that maybe as a good thing for left eye shooters or on a center EVF, as it would make accidental touches less common.

At the same time, as a right eye shooter, who doesn't have those issues, it was kind of annoying having to so deliberately make a gesture before I could move the AF point as needed.

On my GX8, which I have set to relative (I don't remember if the Olympus implementation gives you relative/absolute) the instant you touch the LCD your able to move the point around and I pretty much find myself shooting with my thumb on the LCD screen moving it on the fly. Its almost like playing one of those computer style 1st person shooting games where your mouse is the gun and your able to move that around independent of your players direction of movement lol.

As I said before though, it isn't a deal breaker and its nice it has the feature at all, but its just not quite as slickly implemented as on the Panasonics and going back/forth between them makes the lag seem more pronounced. Likely if I only had the Pen-F I would get used to it.

Apr 17, 2016 at 08:23 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · New Olympus Pen-F

Yeah, I've never experienced anything even approaching multiple seconds of delay when using that feature, either on the Pen-F or my E-M10 II. They both work effectively instantly.

Apr 17, 2016 at 08:57 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · New Olympus Pen-F

I suspect a delay. There's no reason an AF track pad feature place significant strain on the last few generations of chips.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:11 PM
DonM2
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · New Olympus Pen-F

AS START-POSTER OF THIS THREAD, I THANK ALL THE ABOVE RESPONDERS!

You've given me as much useful info about the M43 systems as about the Oly Pen-F in particular.

.......... Live well!

DonM2

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM
ae__nation

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · New Olympus Pen-F

Jman13 wrote:
My review is up: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-olympus-pen-f/

excellent excellent review....

as the AF topic pops up many times within this thread, any chance you might be able to do a comparison to other models(ie. E-M1, GX8 or 7 etc.) using Pen-F?

just curious and just a suggestion, please kindly ignore if this is any trouble to you

cheers

Apr 19, 2016 at 08:09 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · New Olympus Pen-F

I also have no delay on my Pen F. Another interesting thing I noted between the Pen and GX8 is that using the GX8 with gloves on is an absolute pain in the bu_t compared to the Pen which works beautifully with large winter gloves. I found myself constantly turning dials that I didn't want to turn on the GX8 while simply turning it off and on between shots.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:40 AM
gilgabo
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · New Olympus Pen-F

Loving the mono mode with a bit of "yellow filter" so far...

(Olympus Pen-F, M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8)

Apr 19, 2016 at 04:23 PM
ae__nation

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · New Olympus Pen-F

just wondering, if the olympus pen-f is such a "keeper" that none for sale on the FM Buy and sell forum within the last two months.....

or...not many people bought it to begin with.....

May 27, 2016 at 09:55 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · New Olympus Pen-F

ae__nation wrote:
just wondering, if the olympus pen-f is such a "keeper" that none for sale on the FM Buy and sell forum within the last two months.....

or...not many people bought it to begin with.....

Probably a bit of both. Even though I have a GX8 I still won't sell the Pen. It's a nice camera!

May 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM
ae__nation

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · New Olympus Pen-F

Vern Dewit wrote:
Probably a bit of both. Even though I have a GX8 I still won't sell the Pen. It's a nice camera!

it's a nice camera indeed...

GX8 and Pen-f are direct competitor in a way, how do you decide which one to bring when you have both? as they do have similar attributes although they are different cameras....

May 27, 2016 at 01:22 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · New Olympus Pen-F

ae__nation wrote:

GX8 and Pen-f are direct competitor in a way, how do you decide which one to bring when you have both? as they do have similar attributes although they are different cameras....

I like the gx8 more for larger glass, and/or glass that has an aperture ring, like my Panny Noctricron. Likewise, glass without OS, or all Olympus, works well on the Pen

May 27, 2016 at 01:27 PM
bdickers
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · New Olympus Pen-F

I have a black PEN F. The all metal build quality is outstanding, the compact size and ergonomics make it easy to carry everywhere and the retro-look make the camera as much art as tool.
I tried the excellent 17mm f/1.8 lens but I prefer a zoom, so I have the 12-40 mm f/2.8 in route from Japan.
not Full Frame, not weather-sealed, but size, function set and image quality make the PEN F "Good Enough" for me anyway.

May 29, 2016 at 07:29 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · New Olympus Pen-F

ae__nation wrote:

That is a great question! Not so easily answered either... There are some obvious cases for each. GX-8 for any hiking / mountaineering trip with iffy weather as it's weather sealed and balances nicely with weather sealed lenses like the 12-40mm f/2.8.

Pen F for primes.

Other than that, whatever I'm in the mood for. The Pen is much smaller and lighter and easier to handle with gloves. The EVF on the Lumix is HUGE and gorgeous. It's too bad the two can't be molded into one. Maybe the upcoming E-M1 mark II?

May 29, 2016 at 04:44 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · New Olympus Pen-F

Vern: lovely images on your site. The ergonomics of the Pen-F clearly work for you (and I imagine the usability with gloves is a major factor). Great work.

May 29, 2016 at 06:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · New Olympus Pen-F

Vern Dewit wrote:
That is a great question! Not so easily answered either... There are some obvious cases for each. GX-8 for any hiking / mountaineering trip with iffy weather as it's weather sealed and balances nicely with weather sealed lenses like the 12-40mm f/2.8.

Pen F for primes.

Other than that, whatever I'm in the mood for. The Pen is much smaller and lighter and easier to handle with gloves. The EVF on the Lumix is HUGE and gorgeous. It's too bad the two can't be molded into one. Maybe the upcoming E-M1 mark II?

What we need is a Pen-F mkII that is slightly larger, but also weather sealed, and with a 3.3meg Epson EVF

I'd buy one

May 29, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · New Olympus Pen-F

That would work for me, too (thinking 20/1.7; an amazing little lens, even though not sealed).

May 29, 2016 at 07:02 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.