New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

MOMA, this morning, always a visit to the fifth floor to see one of my favorite paintings.

Your critiques and suggestions appreciated.

Steve

© eeneryma 2016

In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Mar 20, 2016 at 02:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Sorry Steven,
This reads as a snap of a snap.
How to get more interest?
What if you had a close up of the phone image in focus, with the original in the BG, +/- the girls?

Scott

Mar 21, 2016 at 06:59 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Thanks for your take Scott. Kind of agree the concept needs something to take it to another level. I loved the body language of the girl's hands. Maybe a different crop. I took about 50 photos over the course of 20 minutes waiting for the right moment. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. A reason to go back and try again...

Steve

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:48 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Still not perfect, but I think this holds more interest, and perhaps more wonder and enthusiasm.

Steve

© eeneryma 2016

Starry Night

Mar 21, 2016 at 09:40 PM
Henry Lydecker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

This one is better, I like the two kids on the right. The kid pointing adds a lot to the image, and I think it fits more of what you described in the thread title.

What was your intention for the statement made by this image? Right now I can see a few: people using their phones to view/capture the world, a crowd confronting a famous artwork, dazed adults while children look in wonder. How did you perceive the scene/shot?

Mar 21, 2016 at 09:49 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Henry Lydecker wrote:
This one is better, I like the two kids on the right. The kid pointing adds a lot to the image, and I think it fits more of what you described in the thread title.

What was your intention for the statement made by this image? Right now I can see a few: people using their phones to view/capture the world, a crowd confronting a famous artwork, dazed adults while children look in wonder. How did you perceive the scene/shot?

Hi Henry and appreciate your comments. What you've described is exactly how I felt. This painting is the most famous and popular one at MOMA. Whenever I've visited, there are crowds around it, taking photos and selfies, kind of like what I saw at the Louvre in front of the Mona Lisa. There's always an air of wonder and excitement and that's what I was going for. Personally, Van Gogh is one of my favorite painters, and I know many people feel that way. It's hard for me to put into words, but there's something magical about this painting, especially when you see it in person. So in hindsight, I know that Scott was right that the first photo really didn't capture what I felt.

Steve

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Second shot is MILES more engaging than the first.

The painting is obscured, so much like the folks there you're fighting for a view.

You've captured the painting *perfectly* on the two women's cell phones, which happens to be smack dab center frame.

The surly looking older gent has a tag around his neck - I imagine that he works there?

Then you've got two kids - one pointing at the object of interest and the other looking right at it.

Dude, this picture beats the hell out of the first one.

Not even close! What a scene.

MIGHT crop some off the left or clone out the shoulder/hair.

Jeff

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Second for me!

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:02 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

2nd one for me also, I like the engagement with the object that you captured.

Walt

Mar 22, 2016 at 05:50 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In the Presence of a Masterpiece

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments!

Steve

Mar 22, 2016 at 06:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.