New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

Rachel and I went to Yate's Mill in Raleigh yesterday for the first corn grinding demonstration of the year.

This is her idea of composition, I couldn't help her because the tripod was too low for me to look through the camera So I couldn't help her with anything. I was questioning the vertical framing, but I am trying to let her have her own vision and help her with the technical. She is wanting to grow in photography so we are starting to delve into what the different settings do. Didn't want to overwhelm her in the beginning.

The processing is her idea also she went through Photoshop and adjusted the settings with a little bit of guidance, but this is the style she was going after. So I am glad that she could see the photograph through to completion.

I even printed and matted this photo for her as a surprise. I want her to enjoy this passion and grow (proud daddy).

I understand this processing is not for everyone but I think it is a place to start. We are now planning photography outings too the Ocean and Mountains, more time to share time with her

Thank you for allowing me too share her photo and my ramblings.

I will share any CC with her, I am sure she would like to hear back.

Walt

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

Well, I read the post, thinking I was being propped up for some "low expectations" before I saw the pic.

My first impression (excuse the vernacular) was:

"Dang, that's good. What the heck was Walt talking about?"

The message of "old ways" or vintage ... is harmonious between the subject and the processing (to emulate vintage). To me eye this processing is very period correct with all it's vintage "flaws" etc. and I can say I would have easily been fooled by it in print as a truly old image (on an old paper).

Imo, it's a money shot ... 12 year old or 112 year old.

The only thing that comes to mind for me regarding nit / feedback for teaching would be the touch of "keystoning" that seems to be present with her mill sides "leaning back". It isn't a problem for this particular image, but it might be a teaching point relative to shooting from low angle for her to watch for. Some isn't usually overly problematic (as the case here), but as a new / young photographer, it (might) be a technical point to discuss.

That said ... you might want to just NOT say anything about it yet (i.e. don't confuse the young mind with it now @ unbridled is pretty darn good as is), but keep it in your hip pocket to show her ... IF ... it starts to show as an issue routinely as she progresses. Shhhhh, maybe later.

Edited on Mar 20, 2016 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

It is great that your daughter shares this interest and has her own ideas about what she wants. This is very well executed. You have every right to be proud.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

When I used a DSLR, I had a right angle view finder optical extension in my camera bag for low angle shots. Kept me out of the wet.

A lot of old old-timers shot with view cameras, so maybe some skew tweaks in post?

Mar 20, 2016 at 02:04 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

RustyBug wrote:
Well, I read the post, thinking I was being propped up for some "low expectations" before I saw the pic.

My first impression (excuse the vernacular) was:

"Dang, that's good. What the heck was Walt talking about?"

The message of "old ways" or vintage ... is harmonious between the subject and the processing (to emulate vintage). To me eye this processing is very period correct with all it's vintage "flaws" etc. and I can say I would have easily been fooled by it in print as a truly old image (on an old paper).

Imo, it's a money shot ... 12 year old or
...Show more

Thank you Kent for the feedback, I agree with you about the keystoning, another lesson point as she grows, didn't want to confuse her to much just yet on the processing.

She was very excited about your comment, and wants me to convey thanks.

Walt

Mar 20, 2016 at 05:26 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

ben egbert wrote:
It is great that your daughter shares this interest and has her own ideas about what she wants. This is very well executed. You have every right to be proud.

Thanks Ben I am very happy about the shared passion, now we are planning a trip to DC for the monuments.

She also was very excited about your comment, and wanted to say thanks.

Walt

Mar 20, 2016 at 05:29 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

AuntiPode wrote:
When I used a DSLR, I had a right angle view finder optical extension in my camera bag for low angle shots. Kept me out of the wet.

A lot of old old-timers shot with view cameras, so maybe some skew tweaks in post?

I like the idea of a right angle adapter, these old bones don't bend as well anymore.

Agreed about the view cameras, we will work on the tweaks as she grows, don't want to overwhelm her.

Thank you for the rework, it does help the image for a more period feel.

Walt

Mar 20, 2016 at 05:32 PM
Henry Lydecker
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

I agree with everyone that I was fooled at first. The processing is great, and too often this style looks fake. Well done! I also like the little man in the window, it really adds to the image, giving it a "pioneer" sort of feel to me.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

I think she did fantastic job on the capture and even better on her post work.

Kudos to her and to you as well Dad for being ... well... a great Dad!

Dave

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

Henry Lydecker wrote:
I agree with everyone that I was fooled at first. The processing is great, and too often this style looks fake. Well done! I also like the little man in the window, it really adds to the image, giving it a "pioneer" sort of feel to me.

Rachel wants me to convey her thanks for the compliment.

Walt

Mar 22, 2016 at 05:41 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A 12 Year Olds View of Yates Mill

lighthound wrote:
I think she did fantastic job on the capture and even better on her post work.

Kudos to her and to you as well Dad for being ... well... a great Dad!

Dave

Dave you helped make her happy, funny thing is she almost missed the shot, being a little girl she was getting bored waiting for the wheel to start and went off to play. She had to run back as the wheel started to catch the photo. I have a nice blur in one of my photos to show for it Hard having patience at that age.

Walt

Mar 22, 2016 at 05:46 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.