FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

WestFalcon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

If money is not a factor, which would be the best macro flash. Mr 14 ex ll Ringflash or the Mt 24 ex Twinflash I like to shoot insects and flowers Thanks to all for your recommendations. Brian.

Mar 19, 2016 at 04:33 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

The MT24Ex is better regarded but will still need work on diffusers to get softer light.

I've always thought it not good value for money and still use a bracket mounted and diffused 430Ex.

Brian v.

Mar 20, 2016 at 01:38 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

I am not in a position to comment on Canon flash guns but, especially if you are going to add diffusion, I would go for a powerful gun which is not too heavy. A zoom might be useful. I would not consider one without TTL function, and remote control significantly adds to flexibility.

Some members here do excellent work with a single, diffuse flash but I prefer at least two, off-camera,sometimes using them freestanding.

If you are going to use daylight exposure and use the flash as fill, one may be adequate.

Harold

Mar 20, 2016 at 02:52 AM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

Thanks for the comments guys...much appreciated..Brian

Mar 28, 2016 at 06:13 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Macro Flash advice needed

LordV wrote:
The MT24Ex is better regarded but will still need work on diffusers to get softer light.

I've always thought it not good value for money and still use a bracket mounted and diffused 430Ex.

Brian v.

Spot on, and I use the MT-24EX.

WestFalcon wrote:
If money is not a factor, which would be the best macro flash. Mr 14 ex ll Ringflash or the Mt 24 ex Twinflash I like to shoot insects and flowers Thanks to all for your recommendations. Brian.

IMHO wait for Canon to update / refresh that unit. It takes a lot of work to diffuse it, and in time and materials I've probably spent as much diffusing the MT-24EX as I did to buy one. I do like being able to use the heads in a key / fill arrangement -basically use it to light insects the way a portrait photographer uses a flash to light people.

Newborn Blue Mason Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Mar 29, 2016 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.