New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Profoto Deep Umbrellas

PhilF
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Ill axk and schedule a demo if theres like a bunch us . I am 30 minutes away from downtown LA. Did you see how smallit gets ? ....for 2speedlights? Thats likeinsane....if it works.

Mar 28, 2016 at 05:15 PM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

PhilF wrote:
Ill axk and schedule a demo if theres like a bunch us . I am 30 minutes away from downtown LA. Did you see how smallit gets ? ....for 2speedlights? Thats likeinsane....if it works.

I already did - they are going to host a demo at their studio Downtown in mid-April. What size are you looking at?

Mar 28, 2016 at 06:20 PM
PhilF
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

I am leaning towards the 50"...the biggest one. He said if you don't have any kits in the website...He will do a custom one for you. Since it gets expensive if you buy parts one at a time.

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:51 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

marcus_yam wrote:
Hey guys,

I was thinking of picking up one of the new Profoto Deep Umbrellas, Small (33") or Medium (41") in silver, for location work. My thinking was - even if it pumps out contrasty light, I can always throw a diffuser on it to soften it. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they differ from your every day umbrellas? Are they worth it?

Cheers,
Marcus

The only umbrella I have from Profoto is this one. Simple, shoot through. Very good build quality.

But I rarely shoot with an umbrella now. I've modified my Westcott rapid box and it's the most versatile modifier ever.
For weddings, it's amazing! Some results with the rapid box.

Edited on Jan 08, 2017 at 05:08 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2016 at 08:41 AM
PhilF
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Elijah wrote:
The only umbrella I have from Profoto is this one. Simple, shoot through. Very good build quality.

But I rarely shoot with an umbrella now. I've modified my Westcott rapid box and it's the most versatile modifier ever.
For weddings, it's amazing! Some results with the rapid box.

where did you get the profoto mount for your Wescott Rapid Box and what size is that?

Mar 31, 2016 at 04:39 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

PhilF wrote:
where did you get the profoto mount for your Wescott Rapid Box and what size is that?

I got this Profoto Speedring Adapter from Paul C. Buff back in June of last year but it's no longer anywhere to be found on PCB website..
I don't know what happened, maybe they removed that product from their website.
But I would assume, something like this should work too.

Update: looks like it vanished from PCB website. Just checked my email, looks like I only paid $29.99 for that Profoto Speedring Adapter from PCB!! I wish They still had it there, I'd buy a few more of these things. They're amazing for the price.
I Emailed PCB asking If they discontinued this item, hopefully they will respond.

I keep saying this but I still intend to make a separate thread on how I made this possible to work with a Rapid Box.

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:39 AM
PhilF
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Elijah wrote:
I got this Profoto Speedring Adapter from Paul C. Buff back in June of last year but it's no longer anywhere to be found on PCB website..
I don't know what happened, maybe they removed that product from their website.
But I would assume, something like this should work too.

Update: looks like it vanished from PCB website. Just checked my email, looks like I only paid $29.99 for that Profoto Speedring Adapter from PCB!! I wish They still had it there, I'd buy a few more of these things. They're amazing for the price.
I Emailed PCB asking If they
...Show more
would really appreciate it.

Mar 31, 2016 at 02:31 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Phil,

There are a handful of similar 3rd party Profoto speedring adapters available on B&H as well as on Amazon. Of course, Profoto and Mola's version are pricier. The difficult part is ascertaining the quality of the 3rd party versions. Some are good, some not so good. But I've heard from a couple that you can adjust the 3rd party clamps by drilling a small hole and then resetting the clamp buckle into the new holes.

I've used a few of the 3rd party Profoto speedring adapters to adapt other reflectors for use on the B1, B2, and Acute2 B600---works well.

ken

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sharpblur

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

corposant wrote:
I already did - they are going to host a demo at their studio Downtown in mid-April. What size are you looking at?

Would you mind sharing your thoughts once you see them?
Thanks

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:56 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

sharpblur wrote:
Would you mind sharing your thoughts once you see them?
Thanks

Sure - the photographer who designed it seems pretty cool and sounds keen to have others promote his product (obviously).

Mar 31, 2016 at 04:21 PM
marcus_yam
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It was super useful in helping me decide what size deep umbrella to get.

Apr 26, 2016 at 06:17 AM
dwalden

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

corposant wrote:
Funny, I had been looking at the Ricebowl, and while these are not 16 sided, I really like the concept. Price is actually pretty reasonable. Phil - want me to see if they'll demo it for us? I bet they are somewhere near DTLA.

Hi guys- Thanks for the shoutout. Yes, we are indeed in downtown LA, and would be happy to demo these for you all. Actually, I'm organizing a lighting meetup at our warehouse on May 22, and would love to have you come join us. You can sign up for it here.

Btw, we prefer the term "affordable" instead of "cheap"

cheers,
David

May 09, 2016 at 01:22 AM
Chester87

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

hi,
i recently found out that i'd love deep white umbrella for the softness.
but i just broke one (chinese brand) after a fall (what a wind). im thinking about getting the Profoto Deep White XL, but yeah it's pricey. SO my main concern is the durability of it. could you guys share your experience? could it survice after a few fall down?
i know its pretty big - a wind catcher, but i really love the light!

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:32 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

Profoto's deep umbrellas aren't better made than Jinbei's, Interfit's, Elinchrom's or Broncolor's (no idea about the others as I haven't tried them). In fact Jinbei and Interfit umbrellas are nearly identical to Profoto's (most of the pieces are the exact same). I find the Elinchrom and Broncolor better made.

As a sidenote, a deep white umbrella won't be softer than a shallow one if you manage to evenly lit them (which isn't too hard to manage with white umbrellas).

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Profoto Deep Umbrellas

marcus_yam wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they differ from your every day umbrellas? Are they worth it?

To be blunt : regarding silver ones, they aren't, and it's a solution in search of a problem.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508979

Note : I'm only talking about what I call "umbrella", which means to me something that basically looks like an umbrella to protect you from the rain. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't call other indirect reflectors (such as Broncolor's paras) umbrellas.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password