New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · FPJ - feedback wanted

Statitica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FPJ - feedback wanted

Hey guys,

I blew the cobwebs off my camera again today, and tried my hand at a little FPJ. I know it's not my strongest point (photos of people is not my strongest point, FPJ less so), but it's something I want to refine before my big move to a place where my children's grandparents wont get to see much more of them than the photos I send back, or the skype calls we'll make.

So, hit me with it. What do I need to do to improve?

The events: Madison, my 6 month old daughter, decided she needed to investigate the hubbub that is bath time in our home.

Oh, and she's standing now, so that's kind of a big deal.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aaClKhuZDJk/Vu1FxuRcbjI/AAAAAAAABjU/Uj719zEggLcf0m8F1LG_2fbhcaBKG_lJA/s1600/DSC_4021.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eBNjTpx5IUY/Vu1Fx8kIgVI/AAAAAAAABjY/UFyzgKw-uNUmZVY_fovb5t5s5M6B87V7w/s1600/DSC_4032.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4umr_tXsNH8/Vu1FyYZdnsI/AAAAAAAABjc/MtE6IT2LBOM82rwkB24lOq79dyLgZVpsg/s1600/DSC_4038.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1KXleuS3IGY/Vu1FzuNXlsI/AAAAAAAABjg/HyQvV94YXSwbGPVGlfFGQ49wO0UGvjaGQ/s1600/DSC_4043.jpg

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:29 AM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FPJ - feedback wanted

Dave, first of all, good luck with your future life. It sounds worth it.

Regarding the images, what kind of flash did you use? The built-in one?
To me, the b/w processing is too muddy (too much grey, no real darks).

Mar 20, 2016 at 02:18 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FPJ - feedback wanted

She's adorable and I love the sense of curiosity and family togetherness

Here are a few critical thoughts (take these with a grain of salt as I'm very much an inexperienced amateur):

- I like the idea of the low angle to mix things up, but it's not great for a full set as it doesn't allow you to get a great sense of the action
- My favorite FPJ photos have a few layers in them, in 1 and 2 Madison is blocking most of your next most important layer (the boys)
- I'm not a big fan of flash in FPJ as for me it betrays the sense of candidness (this might just be me)
- I like the leading lines of the vanity, but with all the lines of the tiles the tilt is distracting.
- Processing, I agree with Olaf above
- Your macro work is really good, apply the same principles of composition to your family work

Best of luck with the move.
Dave

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Statitica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FPJ - feedback wanted

OlafSiebert wrote:
Dave, first of all, good luck with your future life. It sounds worth it.

Regarding the images, what kind of flash did you use? The built-in one?
To me, the b/w processing is too muddy (too much grey, no real darks).

Thanks Olaf

The flash was an sb-800, but in my haste I neglected to use it properly (I usually bouce it around and use a black foamy thing).

Processing is something I will have to keep on working at - I don't seem to be able to nail it down on my people shots.

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Statitica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FPJ - feedback wanted

qwyjibo wrote:
She's adorable and I love the sense of curiosity and family togetherness

Here are a few critical thoughts (take these with a grain of salt as I'm very much an inexperienced amateur):

- I like the idea of the low angle to mix things up, but it's not great for a full set as it doesn't allow you to get a great sense of the action
- My favorite FPJ photos have a few layers in them, in 1 and 2 Madison is blocking most of your next most important layer (the boys)
- I'm not a big fan of flash in FPJ as
...Show more

Thanks Dave.

It seems I have a lot of work to do, so now I'll go and do it.

Live and learn. Then live some more.

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:10 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FPJ - feedback wanted

The only thing that really bothers me is that the tub edge isn't level(except in #3). Otherwise fun pictures.

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:14 AM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FPJ - feedback wanted

Statitica wrote:
The flash was an sb-800, but in my haste I neglected to use it properly

I'm glad you see it yourself. The flash is too direct and too hard. Simply putting it upwards to the ceiling would have already increased the quality a lot. Not to mention if you'd have bounced it towards the wall.

Remember: direct flash is not the most flattering.

Mar 21, 2016 at 02:12 PM
MN_Migrant
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FPJ - feedback wanted

Dave, I commented pretty extensively on another post regarding image quality, FPJ technique, etc. Just wanted to follow up with you something a little off topic.

I can relate to this, because we are a 14-hour drive from the nearest grandparent:

Statitica wrote:
I want to refine before my big move to a place where my children's grandparents wont get to see much more of them than the photos I send back, or the skype calls we'll make.

One thing that we did for Christmas this year was to purchase an Amazon Fire Stick ($40) in our name, under my account and gift it to my parents. Because we're connected to the Amazon cloud for photo and video storage, every single photo or video we take on our cellphone is automatically uploaded to the cloud (and I manually upload images from my main camera). This means they have instant access to all of the images and videos. My mom will often comment on a video that my wife uploaded before I even have a chance to see it!

I'm not sure if Amazon is a good solution in Australia but presume there other analogs that would work in your region. Maybe Roku or AppleTv have apps that would allow your family to view images you upload to a cloud somewhere.

Anyway, these are pretty cheap solutions to stay in touch. You should look into it.

Mar 29, 2016 at 03:51 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FPJ - feedback wanted

I like the first one the most, She being to small to be in the tub with the others is the way I see it.

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.