New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nad a media servers what you using and why? Are you happy

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nad a media servers what you using and why? Are you happy

Well my network is not working and hasn't since I return after my surgery least fall.

I'm thinking of rearranging some of it and optimizing the services the various devices offer . I have a net gear NAS, a buffalo NAS and a synology NAS. The latter is the latest. It offers some good options. I also have a time machine plus a router and other wifi hardware. I capture my internet from a friend next door using a wifi device into my router then the NAS servers connect to the router so does a hub iirc. I also have two older Apple Tvs one thru Ethernet because it's close, the other over wifi my ps 3&ps4 connect wirelessly as does the directv receiver.

I plan to see which NAS service is the best and use it as my server for that service. Mainly I want a iTunes server preferrly one that is independent of other machines. A photo and video server not sure which I'm going to use as I've not been using one, I guess some have support for ps games where it can download etc, I'll also want a seperate music and movie server that can work fro,m the same directories. Plus I'm gonna need the normal net work services. I would like to setup a way in from off fretwork thru the router so I have access when traveling. My Mac mini isn't up to speed so until I hack my laptop with Mac that support I'd very limited but I want it. My other laptop is running win seven until it dies I hate eight. And don't plan to buy another min does product ever..I might have to get it with a laptop but if I can it will not last. My desktop will be dual boot ma c for work and win 7 for flight sim until I no longer need it. Then all mac. My Lightroom photoshop are all dual format buys I'm on my iPhone and iPad most of the time except for when I do the import of photos and vids on my laptop. I also use my laptop for laser firearm training with the two systems I have one allows you to I'd the targets and it records hits in the se areas missives outside the other allows for virtual targets and stages and records time anf hits misses. That's all I use the laptop for . I'd like to print from my iPad to both networked printers ones an epson photo printer the other two are brother printers ones a wireless laser printer the other is a label printer. Plus two scanners are networked in a Nikon cool scan and an epson flatbed photo scanner. Then all the USB western digital external drives connected as a backup to the sever they ar connected to. I think that's all that the network consist of.

Now you read this far you know what I have except for exact models which can be update later, you also have my goals identified.

So if you use the buffalo NAS and have experience with the services offered please advice me, the same goes for the net gear services and synology services. I exspect that the synology might be the better iTunes and medi dervers the buffal the better file and backup and network services, the netgeear it very old and limited to propitory services. The virtual connection is going to be the tourer problem as well as a few others . I just want it to work and be easy to use I'd like to be able to use iTunes for music and movie app but would also,like to be able to find and click on a movie and have it up and going. LR will be the host for the photos but I would like the ability to do screen savers from my photos so that means a way to link to the directory from each device.

And like I said I use the iPad 90% of the time the play stations , Apple Tvs , tv apps and blue ray player apps. I normally either buy my movies on line same with music but every now and then I rip a DV or bluray to digital format that works in iTunes same with other videos that I come across my vid file will be finalized to a MP4 format once ready for viewing. If I missed something let me know. One thing in the future I'm going to want to capture my DVD recordings so I can add the media to my library. Usually tv shows must movies make it to iTunes first.

I don't have the capabilities yet for the DVr to MP4 yet any suggestions will be welcomed.

So if you have one of these server platforms and really like the service it provides. Let me know why and how you got it setup. One reason is to be able to log in from off site and watch a movie in my library so I don't have to take the files with me or maybe add files while traveling. A backup will be off set either in my motor home or a utility trailer I use that way everything is backed up off sight the network in my primary location will be the active files and on site backup the unsure backup will be backed up off site. That give me the three copies that I should have plus eventually a burn DVD copy for a forth copy which I beleive is the correct process. For my photos I'll I have one more copy since when I import I do the main import to one network drive plus a backup of the original file that never is modified. If a new process technique comes along and you want to start from scratch that virgin copy will be copied to the working directory the all changes made to that plus once all files are completed they are all backed up in their new state so the work wouldn't need to be redone if a currupted file happens the backup will be a two phase backup one to DVD the other to a backup directory.

I need to work out my photo directory system to allow for everything needed. Same with my programming directoryies.

Let me have you ideas.

Mar 19, 2016 at 06:17 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nad a media servers what you using and why? Are you happy

About 12 months ago I got a Synology DS415+ with WD Red drives.

I have PLEX running on the NAS.

I back-up all my computers (laptops and iMac) to the NAS via Time Machine.

I intended to transfer my photo library onto the NAS, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I'm currently using Aperture, but I guess I'm going to have to switch to Light Room at some stage.

It works well.
Apart from PLEX being a bit buggy from time to time when they release updates, I have had zero issues.
Synology NAS has been rock solid and extremely easy to use.

I'm not sure what else is out there, so I tend not to recommend this stuff because I don't know much about it.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nad a media servers what you using and why? Are you happy

That's a fairly lengthy post, and a bit rambling. It would be easier to understand what you want if you stated it more clearly in a point by point form.

Be aware that any access you have to your home network from outside is also access that other (undesirable) people can have to your home network from outside. You are therefore trusting whoever writes the code to not screw it up and leave gaping holes in your security. Frankly, the commercial NAS providers do not have a good record with this, and with respect to movies and music, i don't trust them to not be reporting back to the relevant industries what you have.

For movies and TV i also recommend Plex. Pay for "Plex Pass" and you get the option to downsize content and copy it to your portable device to watch whilst you are traveling. This is extremely convenient if you fly a lot. There is also the option to connect in from outside, apparently via an encrypted link. Again though, this represents a security hole in your networking and so it would be a good idea to set up the Plex server at home on a DMZ of some kind, with read-only access to the media files.

I don't use the external connectivity a lot in Plex, but i have noticed that quite a few networks block the traffic, so connectivity can be patchy. The music part of Plex is still a work in progress, but it is OK. Not as well sorted as the movies/TV though. I haven't used the photos functionality yet.

If you want to retain your home network security i would then suggest the following:

- Edit your photos using the smart preview option in LR (if you want to edit with the laptop). Upload your edited photos to a hosting service such as Zenfolio or Smugmug (or even Flickr).
- Run Plex to serve audiovisual content around your home network, and sync what you want to watch to your mobile device before going out.
- If you really want to have access to your home network from outside, set up a VPN service at home. OpenVPN is a good option for this. Consider setting up the Plex server on a computer on a DMZ, with read only access to the media files.
- Set your firewall to bounce everything that isn't the VPN.

Mar 20, 2016 at 03:07 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.