New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Signing your prints ...

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Signing your prints ...

HI all ... when you sign your prints do you have the signature as part of the image or do you sign on it after it is printed? And if you sign after it is printed, what pen do you use? Does that pen work on metallic prints?

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2016 at 02:05 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Signing your prints ...

On some images I've been printing it as part of the image - usually at 50% opacity so as not to be intrusive.

If I'm signing with a pen, then it's always on the paper outside the image and I've found a great 0.5mm pigment pen that looks good and should last a long time. (I have to sign slower than I would normally write.

Not tried it on metalic paper. If I board-back the print (ie bond to a backing board) then I sign the board as well so as to preserve the value of the print. (ie, the artist was responsible for the bonding, and it wasn't done afterwards).

If I mount / frame the print, then I sign the mount (if the paper signature is hidden), with pencil. I find those little freebee IKEA ones are great for this.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Signing your prints ...

Any buyers who care want a print hand signed by the artist. The signature is supposed to indicate that the print was examined and found to be acceptable by its creator. If it's printed with the image the signature is always present, even if the print was made by someone else and the artist never saw it, or even if the artist is no longer living. If you don't like signing on the image itself it's a good bet to sign the border of the print and also sign the mat if the border is covered.

Mar 22, 2016 at 01:47 PM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Signing your prints ...

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point about signing to mean you've inspected it and it's up to standards ...

What kind of pen do you all use? I just got a metallic sharpie for metal prints, but am thinking of something far more subdued for most others ...

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Signing your prints ...

On my portraits, i have my studio name and copyright symbol and usually match the color of it with the colors of the print. I have it as a photoshop brush. On my landscape images, i hand sign the print in the lower right corner and use a black permanant water color fine tip marker. I haven't tried signing on metal etc. just on the standard photographic paper-usually sprayed with lacquer.

Mar 30, 2016 at 01:24 PM
highcontrast
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Signing your prints ...

AFC168 wrote:
What kind of pen do you all use? I just got a metallic sharpie for metal prints, but am thinking of something far more subdued for most others ...

Serious art buyers want a hand signed print and not a digital signature, so it's great you're hand signing. But be careful, I don't think Sharpies are archival! The last thing you want is for your signature to yellow or tinge in a couple years and ruin your carefully produced archival print.

I sold fine art nature and landscape prints for years on the art festival circuit, and always used Sakura Micron pigment ink pens - they're sharp, and archival. There are a few other brands as well (look for "archival pigment ink" on the package) but the Microns worked great for me. They aren't expensive - just a couple bucks each at most any better art supply store.

Apr 16, 2016 at 07:06 AM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Signing your prints ...

I just started signing prints on the border, and did a bunch of research on pens beforehand. The consensus of art buyers and fine art photographers as best I could determine is to use a black Sakura/PIGMA MICRON archival ink pen (like a fine Sharpie, but archival and won't bleed through). This is the set I bought from Amazon for about $10: http://sakuraofamerica.com/component/product/products/382. I found the 05 (.45mm) worked well for me, but that probably depends on how big your signature is. But for signing the mat on framed work (which is more controversial from what I read), they recommend a hard, fine pencil.

Apr 16, 2016 at 07:24 AM
padrelar
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Signing your prints ...

Noodler Bulletproof inks are also archival.

May 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Signing your prints ...

Just sign it legibly enough so they will know who to write the check to for payment.

Jun 02, 2016 at 03:06 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Signing your prints ...

Here's an interesting take on unsigned works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/nyregion/richard-avedon-unsigned-prints.html

Source:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=43405

Jul 04, 2016 at 04:14 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Signing your prints ...

archival = acid-free

Jul 04, 2016 at 05:35 AM
tmpollard
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Signing your prints ...

So if your into signing your prints doesn't that mean your not able to use sites such as smugmug to sell them as well because you will not be able to sign those?

Jul 11, 2016 at 04:46 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Signing your prints ...

On paper with any type of gloss, Pigma black pen, lower right margin outside of image. On matte paper, as above but with pencil. I don't use metallic papers, so I don't have an opinion on those.

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.