FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Yosemite in mid May

jaehoppa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite in mid May

Hi guys,

My buddy and I are planning to visit Yosemite in mid May. I'm thinking May 12th to 16th.
I know most of the falls are in their peak flow in May so that's good but I really want to go to Glacier Point, which is only accessible when the Glacier Point Road is open. Looking at the previous road opening dates, it opened around late March to early May the last 4 years so I'm hoping it would be within those time frame for this year as well.
Alternately, I could go from May 26th to 30th but that's Memorial day weekend which I would like to avoid but at the same time all the roads should be opened by then so less risk for us. Will the crowd be really bad during Memorial day weekend? What are your suggestions? Should I take the chances and go from 12th to 16th?
Also, I need some recommendations on lodging. Looks like all the lodging within the park is already booked. Where are some nearby towns with decent lodging? I don't mind 30-40 min drive to the park.
Thanks in advance.

Edited on Mar 18, 2016 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite in mid May

It's difficult to predict opening dates. It depends a lot on how long the snow is lasting, when the last heavy snowfalls are, etc. There are a variety of safety factors involved, debris in the snow, avalanche hazards, snow depth, etc. They are still getting snow and while the rains have for the most part missed southern California, central and northern California could well keep getting storms for a while. Others may have a better guess than I do but I get the feeling it may be later rather than earlier this year although maybe not really late. I'm not sure I'd count on Memorial Day but it seems Glacier Point tends to open sooner than Tioga Pass. Certainly opening the high country roads will take some f the pressure off the valley for Memorial Day but it's likely there are going to be significant crowds anywhere that is open.

The closest lodging to the valley outside the park is in El Portal. Mariposa is approximately an hour or a little less to the valley. There is lodging in Yosemite West, Wawona, and just outside the park to the south near Wawona and also at Oakhurst. Those drives could be about an hour and longer to get to the valley from the south entrance area. There is also some lodging on Highway 120 but IIRC, that will likely be even longer to get to the valley. It's a guess but I'd think Memorial Day weekend lodging options are already limited near the park as well.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite in mid May

I watch weather trends pretty closely here in California, including the snow in the Sierra and the long-term predictions. No one knows when that road will open, buy my guess is that the opening will not be unusually late this year, barring some big late-season snowy surprises.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite in mid May

I would guess with all of our snow this year, that the road to Glacier Point will open later. And while shooting from Glacier Point is cool, keep in mind that in some ways it's a one trick pony there as there is one basic view and shot that every one gets. it's down in the valley where the majority of the cool shots are from.

Keep in mind that the Dogwoods bloom usually towards the beginning of May. You would have a much greater variety of shots from being able to shoot them. I would suggest your first set of dates or even a week before then. Not sure what flexibility you have in changing your plans, but I would suggest focusing on the timing of the Dogwood blooms.

As for lodging, El Portal really has the closest lodging outside of the park to get into the Valley. Why not stay at Curry Village in a Tent Cabin? They are inexpensive and then you are in the Valley itself.

Jim

Jim

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite in mid May

As of this past week, the state average snow pack is running at about 92% of the normal for this point in the season, measured by snow water content. As of March 18 the central Sierra (which is where Yosemite is located) has 91% of normal for this point in the season.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/swccond.pdf

Forecasts for the upcoming period indicate no immediate prospects of much more snowfall aside from a possibility of minor storms early this coming week. It is currently very warm again, and it is expected to warm up again by mid-week. While it is not impossible that we could receive surprisingly heavy late season snow, at this point in the season the probability is quite low and the amount would have to catch up to normal levels and then exceed them.

Online resources (such as http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm) list historic opening and closing dates for both Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road. In recent years it has been very unusual that it would not be open at some point in May, though (in line with what I wrote earlier) the exact date in May varies. It has opened earlier than May and on two occasion it opened significantly later. In 2010 and 2011, which were extremely heavy snowfall years, it did not open until close to the end of May.

Based on this, I stand by what I wrote in my earlier post, while acknowledging that we cannot know for sure until it happens.

If you do get up there, and especially if you haven't been there before, you'll find breathtaking views — down into the Valley, westward toward the Great Central Valley and the foothills, north toward Mount Hoffman and North Dome, up Tenaya Canyon, Clouds Rest and Half Dome, numerous waterfalls, and a huge portion of the Sierra Nevada crest. Wander around a bit and don't stick to just the obvious viewpoint. Morning is quite different than evening (and frequently much less crowded), but both can be spectacular.

Along the way to Glacier Point there are other attractions. The side trip to Sentinel Dome is well worth it, and you could even hike to spectacular Taft Point if time and conditions permit. There are many lovely subalpine meadows and creeks along the road, and early in the season the combination of snow, high water, and the start of new spring growth is lovely. For a real adventure, hike to Glacier Point via the Four Mile Trail from the Valley. Even bigger adventures are possible if you are an enthusiastic hiker, but I'll leave you to figure out some of those.

Have a great visit.

Dan

Edited on Mar 19, 2016 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Mar 18, 2016 at 05:13 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite in mid May

My first trip to Yosemite was just after Memorial Day, the first week of June quite a few years ago. At that time Glacier Point was wide open, no snow. But it wasn't until mid-week that they finally opened the Tioga Road and at that point they were still actively plowing turnouts, etc., and there was several feet of snow along the road in the higher country - and it was pretty interesting to watch the snowplows in action throwing great arcs f snow off to the side of the road.

You'll find lodging availability may drive your location as you search your dates and the sooner the better. Weekends are always tougher to book and will be crowded, off days are better but trying to book over a weekend may be difficult. I find the road in from Mariposa (140) more interesting generally than the Wawona Road (41) or Big Oak Flat Road (120) although those two roads offer much more dramatic views as you approach the valley. The 140 route follows the river and you need to backtrack back a little on the Wawona Road to get the iconic Tunnel View.

In the past I've camped a number of times at Wawona and the drive just gets long - although there are several interesting creeks along the way. The view from the Rostrum as you turn into the valley is interesting, across to Cascade Falls and up/down the valley. I drove out through the Big Oak Flat route last trip to see some of the Gold Country and while there are some lodging opportunities along the highway, it's also a rather long and curvy mountain road for the most part.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite in mid May

Yosemite View Lodge and Cedar Lodge (scene of the sensational Cary Stayner murders) are the closest to the valley on Rt. 140.

Try to keep tabs on possible cancellations at Yosemite Valley Lodge - it's always nice to be right in the thick of things so you only have a short drive or hike to photo ops without wasting time/light while driving into the park

Mar 19, 2016 at 05:38 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite in mid May

In your case I would move the trip date back to the last week of May to be sure the roads are open. I run into this with Yellowstone and Glacier NP and it makes it difficult for timing to avoid the crowds and get the best conditions for photography.

Mar 21, 2016 at 03:53 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite in mid May

elkhornsun wrote:
In your case I would move the trip date back to the last week of May to be sure the roads are open. I run into this with Yellowstone and Glacier NP and it makes it difficult for timing to avoid the crowds and get the best conditions for photography.

It is tricky because, well, there is a reason the crowds show up when they do!

Anyone with a flexible schedule can try to watch the reports and be ready to go when the conditions are right. Lots of folks here in California watch the Tioga Road reports closely and try to get up there on or shortly after the first day it opens.

Mar 22, 2016 at 02:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite in mid May

When Tioga Pass is open is the time to go, in my opinion. The Valley is nice to see, but you can see everything in a day or two since the valley is small. I was underwhelmed to be honest - but I was there in the winter for like 3 days a few years ago and Tioga was closed and Glacier View was a 9 mile snow shoe.

The backcountry is where the good stuff is. The valley is super accessible and paved, thus gets busy. This is just my 2 cents. Redwoods would be good at this time of year as well - the later in May you get

Mar 22, 2016 at 08:01 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite in mid May

Dustin Gent wrote:
When Tioga Pass is open is the time to go, in my opinion. The Valley is nice to see, but you can see everything in a day or two since the valley is small. I was underwhelmed to be honest - but I was there in the winter for like 3 days a few years ago and Tioga was closed and Glacier View was a 9 mile snow shoe.

The backcountry is where the good stuff is. The valley is super accessible and paved, thus gets busy. This is just my 2 cents. Redwoods would be good at this
...Show more

Shhhh... ;-)

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/SierraNevada/Yosemite/HighCountry/Color/LowerMcCabeLakeSunsetLightClouds20110919.jpg

Mar 22, 2016 at 09:44 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yosemite in mid May

thanks guys for the suggestions.
We have decided to go on May 22nd to 28th.
Do couple of stuff in SF and also visit Lake Tahoe and Mono Lake.
Would 3 full days be too long for just Yosemite? My friend isn't a photographer so don't want to bore him.
and how far is Mono Lake from the valley?
thanks again.

Mar 23, 2016 at 01:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yosemite in mid May

jaehoppa wrote:
thanks guys for the suggestions.
We have decided to go on May 22nd to 28th.
Do couple of stuff in SF and also visit Lake Tahoe and Mono Lake.
Would 3 full days be too long for just Yosemite? My friend isn't a photographer so don't want to bore him.
and how far is Mono Lake from the valley?
thanks again.

That should be a beautiful time in the Valley — likely prime time for waterfalls and the green of spring. Yes, you won't be the only ones there... ;-)

Three full days is a good amount of time for a visit to Yosemite Valley plus side trips to one or two other places. You could, for example, spend a morning or evening at Glacier Point. Presuming that Tioga Pass Road is open by then (possible, but currently too soon to know for sure) you could do a day trip up there, and over the pass to Mono Lake.

The drive from the Valley to Mono Lake is a couple hours or a bit more, but if you stop along the way you should allow more time. You could do a full day, starting very early and ending very a late, that includes the drive over Tioga Pass to Mono and back, seeing sunrise and sunset along the way.

Dan

Mar 23, 2016 at 07:39 AM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yosemite in mid May

Thank you Dan! you have been most helpful and your picture is stunning

Mar 23, 2016 at 09:04 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yosemite in mid May

jaehoppa wrote:
Thank you Dan! you have been most helpful and your picture is stunning

Keep in mind you are assuming that Tioga Pass will be open. Odds are it will still be closed, so it won't take just a couple of hours to get from the Valley to Mono Lake as GDan suggests. Most likely it will take you 5 to 6 hours.

Jim

Mar 23, 2016 at 02:17 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yosemite in mid May

what areas of the park is not accessible if tioga pass is closed? can i get to glacier point even if tioga is closed but glacier point road is open?
thanks.

Mar 23, 2016 at 04:49 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yosemite in mid May

If you check a park map, there are three highway entrances on the west side of the park and one on the east. Highway 120 runs more or less east and west, entering at about the middle of the oval shaped park. Going east from near Sonora, etc. at Crane Flat (about 6000 ft) there is a junction with the Big oak Flat Road. That road continues in a bit more southerly direction down to the valley. At Crane Flat, the 120 goes a little more northerly and across the mid section of the park, When Tioga Road is closed at Crane Flat, everything east of there is closed to vehicle traffic. Highway 140 enters the park from the west and follows the Merced River to the valley. It's almost always open. The Big Oak Flat Road, 140 and 41 meet in a couple of junctions near the west end of the valley (actually near the end of the glacially sculpted area, the river continues to the west). The 41 enters from the southwest and climbs over 6000 ft as well. At Chiunquapin the Glacier Point Road goes east from the 41. Near what ever they call Badger Pass these days, near Summit Meadow, the road is closed, if closed. If open, it goes all the way to Glacier Point. On the east side, 120 exits the park at over 9000 ft and drops down to Highway 395 at Lee Vining. The road may be opened to the park boundary from the east before the road is plowed thorugh the oark but maybe not. It's a seasonal thing. To get to Mono Lake, etc. bu other routes may be as much as 300 miles or so, if I recall my measurements correctly depending on which other passes may or may not be open.

Mar 23, 2016 at 09:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yosemite in mid May

jaehoppa wrote:
what areas of the park is not accessible if tioga pass is closed? can i get to glacier point even if tioga is closed but glacier point road is open?
thanks.

You can certainly get to Yosemite Valley. You can get to areas along all three of the west side entrance routes, from Oakhurst, Mariposa, and Groveland. Since Glacier Point Road usually opens before Tioga Road, you may be able to get up there even if Tioga remains closed. (Glacier Point is reached by an entirely separate road.)

Dan

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:50 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yosemite in mid May

jaehoppa wrote:
thanks.

Tuolumne Meadows will not be available if Tioga Pass is closed. Any view points along Tioga Pass will obviously not be available, like Olmstead Point for example.

Glacier Point could be available since it is on a totally different road and does have a different opening then Tioga Pass each year.

What is available is Yosemite Valley, and there is plenty to keep your interest for 3 days. Some people can spend a week or more just in the Valley itself.

Also, as a suggestion if Tioga Pass is closed. Perhaps swing south to get up to Mono Lake and drive through and spend a day and night in Sequoia? The Dogwoods will be in very poor shape most likely in Yosemite Valley since you have chosen to go their later. But they always bloom later in Sequoia, so you could get some really cool shots of the Dogwood blooms and huge Sequoia's there. As I said, it would take longer then the other option of driving north and taking one of the northern passes over the Sierra Mountains to get to Mono Lake, but the southern route does add some interesting locations.

Jim

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yosemite in mid May

JimFox wrote:
Tuolumne Meadows will not be available if Tioga Pass is closed. Any view points along Tioga Pass will obviously not be available, like Olmstead Point for example.

Glacier Point could be available since it is on a totally different road and does have a different opening then Tioga Pass each year.

What is available is Yosemite Valley, and there is plenty to keep your interest for 3 days. Some people can spend a week or more just in the Valley itself.

Also, as a suggestion if Tioga Pass is closed. Perhaps swing south to get up to Mono Lake and drive through and
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'm hoping Tioga Pass will be open by the time we get there because I really want to visit Mono Lake and do not wanna take the detour. I will consider going to Sequoia if Tioga is closed.

I'm also planning to visit Lake Tahoe if everything goes as planned. Any photography worthy locations in or near Lake Tahoe? So far I couldn't find anything too interesting.
Thanks.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.