p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Epic shot of this region!

CB

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:15 AM
ruuskan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Really nice work, the blend works perfectly!

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:21 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

awesome!

David

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Stunning image Todd! Thanks for sharing.

Mar 18, 2016 at 01:06 PM
Pincher

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Amazing

Mar 18, 2016 at 07:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

This is a superb shot! Very natural looking and perfectly processed. Have you been using the D810A much? What is your opinion so far?

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:12 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

This is beautiful! Where is the foreground light coming from? It feels very natural!

Arka C.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:14 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Really, really, really beautiful image. Print it using archival methods so that your great-grandkids can enjoy it. It's a wall hanger.

Mar 18, 2016 at 09:13 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

MCO - GPS coordinates for the eggs are available with a simple google search - but if you want them - just PM me.

Arka - the foreground light was all natural - just some long exposures when the first hint of light showed up (plus a little color balance)

Gary - this trip was my first where I used the D810A - I just got it a few weeks ago. Really like the expanded low light capabilities - a step up from the D810 - and the M* mode - where I can shoot up to 15 minutes (!) really came in handy. I plan to take it to Patagonia in April - so I'll have more feedback after that.

Mar 18, 2016 at 09:51 PM
jharris1701
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

amazing image !! I wonder what gear and exif was used here ?

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Jaharris -

Nikon D810A
Zeiss 15mm 2.8
MW - iso6400, f3.5 @ 20sec's
Foreground - not exactly sure - exact data is on my hard drive at work, but my guess is iso2500, f9.0 @ between 30 - 180 seconds (I took several within this range)
Hope that helps

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:39 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

tmiller9 wrote:
Jaharris -

Nikon D810A
Zeiss 15mm 2.8
MW - iso6400, f3.5 @ 20sec's
Foreground - not exactly sure - exact data is on my hard drive at work, but my guess is iso2500, f9.0 @ between 30 - 180 seconds (I took several within this range)
Hope that helps

Hey Todd,

Man, I keep coming back to this shot, simply beautiful work here.

Question on the D810A. I remember that was put out for astronomical shooting, but didn't think it would work for photos on the land. Though the ground in this shot looks cool. Can you share how using the D810A was an advantage in taking this shot over the D810? Perhaps I need to look closer at the D810A?

Jim

Mar 19, 2016 at 01:09 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Jim - I have several thoughts on the D810A decision......
(in no particular order)

Tried to find out as much as I could about the D810A - only a few reviews/real life uses on the internet. What I did find was high marks for high iso performance, extended M* mode (allowing up to 15 minute exposures - and - although Nikon doesn't recommend it for general photography (red color cast), the reports were that it was minor at best.
I did try and start a conversation with people using the camera on the Nikon forum - but got zero response.
Even though I was very happy with the D810 - I was interested in the D810A to basically take over after the sun went down. Given I was doing more night photography - stars, milky way - or just plain twilight stuff - I gave it a shot.
This was my first time using it - so my sample size is still small, but....
I found the ability to quickly switch between 10-20 second exposures (stars, MW) and longer times in excess of 30 seconds for foreground elements to be very beneficial. The live view screen on the D810A is also brighter in the sense that you can crank up the iso, aperture and shutter to get a better "view" - allowing for an easier compositional workflow over what I was used to. From the processing side of things - I did find better high iso performance vs. the D810 - not only in cleaner files - but in detail. Although this image was shot at 6400 - I tried some at 10000 and they looked pretty darn good too.
As for the color casting - I don't notice it for night shots. Given you typically need to adjust color balance anyway - it wasn't an issue.
Bottom line - so far so good. I do plan on taking it to Patagonia in a month - so we'll see how that goes.
The combination of the D810A and the Zeiss 15mm is a dream - makes me look a lot better than I am. Now if I can just find the golf equivalent of equipment making me better...

Mar 19, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Outstanding-beautiful composition and processing, Todd!

Mar 19, 2016 at 02:00 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Hi Todd. Great shot!

I can't believe it, but this looks nearly identical to a shot I have, that I have not started processing yet. I mean in the same tripod holes practically...

Mar 19, 2016 at 02:01 PM
jph1
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

This is a great shot! Your effort and patience really paid off here. Fantastic composition in the dark.

Mar 19, 2016 at 02:15 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Hey Mark - I would really appreciate it if you could wait a few days before processing yours -

Mar 19, 2016 at 03:22 PM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Great work here. It really is a striking image, beautifully captured and processed. Congratulations.

Next time you REALLY mess something up at home, just show your wife this image (which I assume you will have showcased on your wall) and remind her you're not always wrong. : )

Bart Carrig

Mar 20, 2016 at 09:00 AM
slobodan
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

wbrad wrote:
Wow! Great composition, light, colour, processing, everything!

+1

Mar 20, 2016 at 03:58 PM
Mike_Lee

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Bisti - Back to the Egg

Really nice job! Very tastefully done

Mar 20, 2016 at 04:46 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.