New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · On-site event printing

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · On-site event printing

I have been asked to photograph an Easter Bunny function at a local resort where the kids would pose with the Easter Bunny. While people could order prints through my Zenfolio website, I could make more money if I could make prints while Mom & Dad wait. I would probably only offer one size print of 4x6. Any suggestions on printers? I just found a Canon Selphy Dye-Sub photo printer for only $100.00 at B&H. It only prints 4x6. I would probably charge $10.00 a print and so I would recover the cost pretty quickly even allowing for ink and photo paper.

What thoughts do you have on work flow? I have a Nikon D700 and D800 which I could connect to my laptop using a USB cable. My wife would handle the printing and collecting payment (cash only to keep it simple).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mar 17, 2016 at 08:23 AM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · On-site event printing

Traditionally, many event photographers have used dyesub printers because of their speed, both in printing and how quickly you can give the print to the customer (no drying time). However, these days inkjet printers have advanced so much that it's a toss up. If the print time on the Selphy is sufficient to keep up, go for it. I agree that a single size is best, as it gets too confusing and time consuming to offer various sizes.

Mar 17, 2016 at 09:11 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · On-site event printing

If the event is tiny, you might get away with a low end printer like the Selphy, but if there is any semblance of a real event, you will quickly get run over. Event workflow is never steady unfortunately and tends to run similar to a bell curve with a rush in the middle. If your printer (and staff) can't keep up, the clients get impatient, and you will lose sales and opportunities. And 4x6 is really tiny!

If there is a chance you will enter the onsite printing fray, I'd suggest investing in a better event printer such as those from DNP.

ken

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:48 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · On-site event printing

Ken, thanks for the advice. I don't expect this to turn into a new line of business for me. I will have to check with the event planner to see what size photos they will want.

Mar 17, 2016 at 02:22 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · On-site event printing

The small 4x6 dye sub printers are worthless for event printing. They easily take over a minute for each print and you will have people waiting.

This is what I use, and it works very well:

two Canon Inkjet printers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOSGIZC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

DSLRBooth software: http://dslrbooth.com/

3rd Party Ink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D921JPQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Canon photo paper

MacBook Pro laptop.

Mac makes it very easy to pool printers to keep them going if one printer is in use. This is very affordable and works great.

Mar 17, 2016 at 04:35 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · On-site event printing

I am starting to have second thoughts on this because I am wondering how on earth would I prevent Mommy & Daddy taking photos of Jimmy or Susie Q with their smartphones, and then running to Walmart to get their own prints for a fraction of the cost? Unlike getting a photo with Santa at the mall, the hotel won't be charging anything. I can see it now. I will be all set up to take my photo, and Mommy kneels down, takes a couple of photos with her smartphone and is no longer interested in buying any prints.

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:40 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · On-site event printing

That would probably be the scenario with most snapping their own unless you make it difficult for them to take a shot or post signs saying not to take photographs/video. I have a Canon MG7520 that I use for my photo booth. It's a regular printer, but prints a 4x6 in about 20-25 seconds. I don't do enough location printing to justify a pro dye-sub printer so went that route. I would bid the job so you get paid for your time/equipment and not be looking at making much $ from sales. Especially if it's a free event-people are not going to be wanting to be spending much if anything on posed images.

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:58 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · On-site event printing

I just can't see a resort hotel telling their guests that they can't take their own photos. I have emailed the person at the hotel who is putting this together, and have relayed the exact same concerns. As you say, the only way I can see doing it would be to charge close to$750 - $1,000 as a fee. This is a 4 hour gig and so I would need to charge a reasonable hourly fee plus make enough to pay for the printer and supplies.

Mar 17, 2016 at 06:03 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · On-site event printing

That's roughly what I would charge. You'll probably be taking about 2 to 5 minutes per subject so you can figure out roughly what your print costs will be and then just make $ for your time/talent and equipment use. I would shoot with the camera on a tripod so you can interact with the kids also and you'll probably get a fair amount that are afraid of the bunny so you'll have to be flexible with that also. good luck.

Mar 17, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · On-site event printing

You are unlikely to earn any additional cash printing photos at this event.

If you can adjust your fee for this 4 hour event, that is what you should do. You won't make your money printing 4x6" photographs.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:04 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · On-site event printing

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
You are unlikely to earn any additional cash printing photos at this event.

If you can adjust your fee for this 4 hour event, that is what you should do. You won't make your money printing 4x6" photographs.

That's the conclusion I have come to. I will see what sort of budget the resort has in mind. I will propose a fee of around $700 and see what happens. Chances are they won't go for it.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.