Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Your advice on Nature still-lifes: Stacking and maybe focusing rail

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your advice on Nature still-lifes: Stacking and maybe focusing rail

After many years away from natural-light, tripod-mounted macros, I have a notion to re-establish a technique and shoot some early spring, emerging, native plants that will be in sharp focus from front to rear; i.e. using STACKING.

These would be trilliums, lady slippers, jack-in-the-pulpits and such. The challenge is that so much happens in the spring and I can't be in the hardwoods when I'm out there on the pond shooting loons.... and then spring is over before I know it.

This winter, using PSCC (File, Script, Load Files Into Stack) I have been enjoying perfect results during indoor practice on various still-lifes:

BUT, this has been only with JPEGs.

RAW or JPEG?
1. When you shoot images to be stacked, do you shoot in RAW and then convert to JPEGs before stacking the JPEGs? If so, would you describe a simple workflow you use ? Or do you all shoot only JPEGs for your stacks ?

FOCUSING RAIL
2. Do you consider a focusing rail to be necessary for your outdoor stacks ? If so, would you please briefly explain why you feel the rail to be necessary ? The reason I ask is that during my inside practice, I've found that by setting up so my lens' closest focus is at the front of the still-life, I've been able to cover the entire depth of the still-life with the lens' native range of focus. So I am asking myself, why would I need a focusing rail ? Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks ahead

Edited on Mar 17, 2016 at 06:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2016 at 06:36 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your advice on Nature still-lifes: Stacking and maybe focusing rail

A few answers.

I shoot RAW and then convert to jpg before using my stacking software (zerene).

I do not consider a focus rail necessary - I manage without a tripod too for my stacks. You should be able to manage with a tripod and focus ring fine.

Brian v.

Mar 17, 2016 at 06:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your advice on Nature still-lifes: Stacking and maybe focusing rail

This PC was designed and built (last year) with stacking in mind. However, I have yet to use it as such.

I have gone more in the direction of selecting lenses which deliver very high quality at small apertures.

For something like an orchid, I use my Kiron 105mm at f16, and for much smaller subjects (arthropods) I use a reversed Schneider HM 40mm, mostly at f16.

The above are also good for stereo pairs.

Almost all are hand-held with TTL, off-camera multiple (usually 2 or 3) flash.

This all applies to m4/3 format on my EM-1. Some recent images are from my full frame A7R and are currently at far from full potential.

Harold

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.