New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Practice Engagement Photos

Henry Lydecker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Practice Engagement Photos

Hi everyone,
I'm a pretty new member (since last week!), and my partner and I have been considering entering into the engagement market, and I thought I'd ask for your critiques on our first attempt with two of our friends.

We selected 30 final images (out of ~500 :P) and put them together in a photo book, but I'll spare your time with a small set of images:

HWL-8896 by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

HWL-8873- by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

HWL-09783- by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

HWL-09862- by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

HWL-09844- by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

HWL-09831 by Henry Lydecker, on Flickr

Here is the link to the full album if you really want to sink your teeth in: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlydecker/albums/72157665909774406/with/25180555814/

I know one thing we need to look out for is right side of image biased compositions, and in posing more intimate photos. Let me know what you think as well, be rough.

Thanks for looking and any critiques and comments!

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Practice Engagement Photos

5 is my favorite here. The first has a branch in the way, that does not work for me. Neither does the second with no faces. 3 and 4 are my next favorites. The last one is a bit too far away.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM
OleAndre
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Practice Engagement Photos

I am not an expert in this, but i want to share some of my thoughts

I agree with Ben on the first one - the branch is a disturbing element. I guess this is more about taste, and many photographers like this kind of foreground elements, but for me it is just noise that should be avoided. For the second, i understand the idea, and many of my friends have similar photos, but then the photographer have put more emphasis on the woman´s hand. Moreover, there is an important missing element, and that is the ring. Also, the grass on her leg, and part of his thigh should be sorted out.

The third image i like more, especially the colour tones and in the out-of-focus areas. However, the plaque to the right is disturbing the general balance in the image.

The fifth is excellent in my view. The colour tones are good, bokeh is nice, and the mood is fantastic. This picture let me feel their emotions for each other, partly due to their body language, and partly due to the character in the lens (and post-processing?).

The fourth and the sixth do not evoke the same feelings for me, but in a larger set they can fit in. I think that the couple disappear slightly, maybe lowering the exposure around the couple could help them stand out more?

Best wishes,
Ole

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:24 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Practice Engagement Photos

I have done some work in this genre, but am no expert. I agree with the previous two posts.
#1 is so close to being really nice, that branch just bothers, and it doesn't look like her face is in focus as much as my eye wants it to be.
#2 feels too much about her leg rather than them holding hands and its a bit uncomfortable.
#3 has an awkwardness because she is trying to hold her skirt down, working with their attire is part of the process, posing, setting up shots that work with it, rather than make it an issue.
#4 I like, it has a nice feel to it.
#5 is the standout here.
#6 is playful, but they are so small in frame.

Mar 18, 2016 at 06:51 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Practice Engagement Photos

Lots of good advice here! I'm a fellow noob in this field as well.

+1 @ almost everything mentioned - especially when it comes to posing/attire.

5 is the standout to me as well, but I'd like a recrop along the bottom and less on the left.

For 6 I'd look to tighten the crop and do some burning to ramp up the focus on the subjects.

Cheers and welcome!!!

Jeff

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Henry Lydecker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Practice Engagement Photos

Thank you very much everyone for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it. I agree with everyone about 5 being the most standalone picture. I will also be more thoughtful about what photos I select for a smaller selection, as several of you pointed out some of these make more sense in larger set than in this small set.

Mar 19, 2016 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.