New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

A potentially new lens line with FE mount - Swiss precision and Korean innovation

Although not my way of posting something like this but I find this potentially new lens line interesting. The lens model they put up as a tease looks pretty much like the Zeiss Batis line. Here is the link :http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-lens-player-on-the-market-irix-lens-will-announce-lenses-on-march-19/. So, in just a few days....

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:15 AM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

What worries me is that the post mentions E-Mount and m43... I wonder if these are APS-C lenses.

We need more FF options in the reasonable size/weight/cost category.

Mar 17, 2016 at 07:58 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

We could definitely use a couple of more excellent APS-C lenses for the E mount, in particular 14mm, 16mm and an 18mm. Yes I know there exist some lenses in those focal lengths, but none are really, really excellent, like Zeiss.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

bjornthun wrote:
We could definitely use a couple of more excellent APS-C lenses for the E mount, in particular 14mm, 16mm and an 18mm. Yes I know there exist some lenses in those focal lengths, but none are really, really excellent, like Zeiss.

That may be the case, but the envelope for high-end APS-C glass is small. There's a real price vs. volume constraint, in part because most (not all) people shooting APS-C are doing so because of the cost, and size of the system. The higher end you want to go, the bigger, and more importantly, pricier lenses have to get. I assume the market for pricey APS-C lenses isn't all that huge.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

justruss wrote:
What worries me is that the post mentions E-Mount and m43... I wonder if these are APS-C lenses.

We need more FF options in the reasonable size/weight/cost category.

Yes, after you pointed it out . Oh, well .

Mar 17, 2016 at 01:02 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

We can always hold out hope for a few more days!

Mar 17, 2016 at 01:23 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I'd be happy for more options for either sensors. I shoot both.

Mar 17, 2016 at 01:28 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

justruss wrote:
That may be the case, but the envelope for high-end APS-C glass is small. There's a real price vs. volume constraint, in part because most (not all) people shooting APS-C are doing so because of the cost, and size of the system. The higher end you want to go, the bigger, and more importantly, pricier lenses have to get. I assume the market for pricey APS-C lenses isn't all that huge.

Small size doesn't have to mean lower quality or lower cost. Look at Leica M lenses, they are excellent, expensive and small.

There are three Zeiss Touit lenses, 12mm, 32mm and a 50mm. In addition there is the Sony/Ziess 24mm. A Zeiss 16mm for APS-C E mount would plug a hole in the 12mm, 24mm, 32mm and 50mm lineup.

There are those of us who want quality without bulk!

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:00 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

bjornthun wrote:
Small size doesn't have to mean lower quality or lower cost. Look at Leica M lenses, they are excellent, expensive and small.

There are three Zeiss Touit lenses, 12mm, 32mm and a 50mm. In addition there is the Sony/Ziess 24mm. A Zeiss 16mm for APS-C E mount would plug a hole in the 12mm, 24mm, 32mm and 50mm lineup.

There are those of us who want quality without bulk!

True, but the market for expensive, small, APS-C primes is pretty small. That's all.

I'm happy if you get the small, APS-C, high quality, expensive primes you're after. I really am. But like the Touits, which seemed like an experiment that never went anywhere... I can't see a big expansion in this direction. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:05 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

justruss wrote:
True, but the market for expensive, small, APS-C primes is pretty small. That's all.

I'm happy if you get the small, APS-C, high quality, expensive primes you're after. I really am. But like the Touits, which seemed like an experiment that never went anywhere... I can't see a big expansion in this direction. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.

I currently have both full frame and APS-C E mount cameras and lenses. The APS-C line is nice for travel or when space is at a premium and you still want quality. The fact that the lineup never was completed could also be a reason why it appears to go nowhere. It may even make me sell my APS-C E mount stuff, and use Sony for full frame only and investigate other posibilities for a small system. There is of course a limit to how long the APS-C line of lenses can be left unattended. Maybe the Loxia line is worth looking into + rf glass to supplement it? We'll see, I'm currently on the fence about the Sony APS-C E mount, whether to wait and keep it or selling it.

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

One hypothesis which is being mentioned is that it's a higher-end AF series involving Samyang.
Apparently the Spanish Samyang distributor is somehow involved in the media campaign in Spain - though admittedly that's weak evidence.

If that were true, and if they were a bit better built than Samyang on the inside, and as good as a good copy of Samyang and still cheaper than Zony, I'd be thrilled.

Mar 18, 2016 at 09:52 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

PREPARE FOR MORE

That's the tag line for the new Irix lenses.
I though I had heard it before.

I did a bit of googling: and it was the slogan Samyang were using back in 2014 in their Facebook campaign (and other places) when they announced new lenses (and at the time the speculation was that they were going to offer some AF lenses)

I guess I now think that this Irix business is indeed likely a new Samyang AF line. But what about the swiss precision business? Just a marketing line telling us "the optics of Samyang but the build of a swiss watch"
Or perhaps a branding tie-in with Alpa or someone so that they can more plausibly pretend there is a swiss connexion to give Euro-cred to the lenses?

In any case, if they get the AF working right, and the build quality is up there, I'd be thrilled. An AF Samyang 135 f2 for a bit over a thousand dollars would do me nicely -- probably a half to a third the price of any G-Master 135 f2.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM
bwcolor

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Rumor update indicates that there is a 15mm manual FF lens, which will be announced tomorrow. I've got a 15mm FE Heliar on order, so will be interested in this announcement.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-leaked-irix-15mm-f2-4-e-mount-lens/#disqus_thread

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:16 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

That 15mm f/2.5 lens looks basically like the Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 15mm f/2.8. While that lens is a great performer I barely used it because it is so huge and heavy. I ended up selling that lens....

Mar 18, 2016 at 09:15 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

justruss wrote:

Market for mid-range APS-C glass ($300-600) should be big and Sony doesn't offer much of that. Sony tends to focus on either $1K lenses or cheap lenses like slow consumer zooms / mediocre 16mm f2.8 etc. How about a fast standard zoom instead of the $1K f4 zoom from Sony (the DSLR 17-50mm f2.8 zooms from Tamron / Sigma are in the $500 range, the Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4 is also vert good for a very modest price). Similarly how about a 30mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4 lens, and a better portrait lens (the 50mm 1.8 at 75mm equivalent hardly qualifies) . In the DSLR world, you can get a very nice lens like Nikon 85mm 1.8G for just over $400, or a Tamron 60mm f2 for even less. You shouldn't need to to have to spend $1K on a FE 55mm 1.8 to get a basic portrait lens on APS-C. And there are many more such examples. Sony APS-C lens lineup is lacking severely in mid-range lenses which is why I gave up on building a system around my A6000. As it is, it is fine to use Sony E-mount APS-C as a secondary camera with a couple of primes but it is not at all rich enough to have it as your main system camera.

Mar 18, 2016 at 09:53 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I'm just impressed we finally have a lens with a focus lock, and a hyper focal infinity distance marker line. Both are brilliant for landscape shooting. I hope this lens is good and actually full frame, those are insane specs of true

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:55 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

does that really say neutrino coating? i lost all interest right there.

Mar 19, 2016 at 06:18 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Press release is out. Looks a bit interesting, but only it seems in Canon EF, Nikon F and Pentax K

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM
nntnam
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

sebboh wrote:
does that really say neutrino coating? i lost all interest right there.

Agree! As a physicist, I think it really sounds retarded.

Their home page looks nice though

http://irixlens.com/15mm.php

There will be two version: blackstone (best build quality) and firefly (light weight).

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

DavidBM wrote:
Press release is out. Looks a bit interesting, but only it seems in Canon EF, Nikon F and Pentax K

How could a new lens company dare to skip the currently high in demand FE mount ?

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password