FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

bjornthun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

nntnam wrote:
Agree! As a physicist, I think it really sounds retarded.

Their home page looks nice though

http://irixlens.com/15mm.php

There will be two version: blackstone (best build quality) and firefly (light weight).

They talk about Swiss engineering, but that can't include anyone at CERN.

Mar 19, 2016 at 08:02 AM
nntnam
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

bjornthun wrote:
They talk about Swiss engineering, but that can't include anyone at CERN.

Or maybe we're misunderstanding them?! They're about to releasing a new neutrino camera with neutrino sensor. Combining with this lens, it can catch neutrinos (and photons too) ?!

Mar 19, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
How could a new lens company dare to skip the currently high in demand FE mount ?

It looks to be designed from the start for DSLR's. A mirrorless version would essentially have a built in adapter added to the rear, just like the Samyang FF FE lenses. Maybe those have not been so popular since they were not designed as FE lenses from the start? I don't know. Funny how the rumor was so off though. No mirrorless mounts:
"And as far as I heard those lenses will certainly be available for Sony E-mount and MFT too. Not sure about other mounts yet…"

Mar 19, 2016 at 08:11 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I like the focus calibration. Takes all the furor away from adapters (assuming they don't introduce decentering). The rear gel is good too considering the 95mm filter size. Would have been better to have E-mount though.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Samyang 14mm WO for stars...

Mar 19, 2016 at 08:49 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It looks to be designed from the start for DSLR's. A mirrorless version would essentially have a built in adapter added to the rear, just like the Samyang FF FE lenses. Maybe those have not been so popular since they were not designed as FE lenses from the start? I don't know. Funny how the rumor was so off though. No mirrorless mounts:
"And as far as I heard those lenses will certainly be available for Sony E-mount and MFT too. Not sure about other mounts yet…"

Yeah, talk about totally getting the direction of this thing wrong!

Mar 19, 2016 at 01:26 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
How could a new lens company dare to skip the currently high in demand FE mount ?

One possibility is that they plan to make some true native lenses for FE; this is a highly retrofocus DSLR lens in a focal length where considerable benefits could be got from designing natively to the flange distance (look at Loxia 21 vs. Milvus 21!). An FE version of this lens would just have a huge tube on the back.

They did say something about FE and M43, so let's wait...

Mar 19, 2016 at 03:15 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Lots to like about the lens, even if we haven't seen IQ tests or prices. Two versions with different ergonomic goals, AF confirm chip and looks like auto aperture, takes front and rear filters, Hyper focal scale marker for infinity, focus lock, and what seems to be weather sealed or at least mild weather sealing. This is raising the bar for modern manual focus lenses in this department, I only hope Samyang decides to learn a thing or two from this!

Mar 19, 2016 at 03:22 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Unless they bother to redesign that lens for FE mount and slim it down, I'm not particularly interested at this point, simply because I already have a decent copy of the 14 2.8. I'm still curious to see whether this lens gets close to the performance of the Distagon 15 2.8.

Talking about the Distagon, that's the one I'm waiting for (in FE mount). Like several others here, the Loxia 21 has become one of my favorite lenses and I really would like Zeiss to give the 15 2.8 the same treatment.

Mar 20, 2016 at 01:24 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I'm with the rest of you: Interesting for DSLR shooters, but no thanks for my A7. Too big, and probably too expensive compared to the known quantity that is the RokiYang 14.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

AGeoJO wrote:

From a size point of view, it would look even more ridiculous with a built in extension tube to make up for the extra sensor-to-flange registration distance needed to compensate the difference for any of the released mounts..

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:54 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

If the leaked price is right (~$600 for firefly, $780 for the blackstone), I might be interested in the firefly (not only it's cheaper, but it's also lighter). If street price is not significantly higher than the Samyang 14mm, I'd be happy to pay a bit more if QC is better than the Samyang(it's not too easy to get a refund/exchange unless the lens is showing something terribly wrong here, and last time I checked, I can't find a Samyang office here in Hong Kong). And the Samyang is 2.8 and the Iris is f2.4, that might be good for night landscape/astro photos. (if I don't need speed, I 'd rather carry a voigtlander 15mm)

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

There's a lot to like about this lens. Two options, metal or plastic, infinity click, hyperfocal scale, self-calibration, WR, f2.4, 9 rounded blades, rear filters, bulbous primary element but an extended filter ring to enable use of round filters .... let's hope the most important feature, IQ, is also very good. Pentax users will be happy too with a model for their new FF camera.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

This sounds like samyang 2.0 with double the price. Let me predict the outcome:

-infinity click is far from accurate which is a real showstopper (you know exactly why...)
-it takes only 1 slim filter without hard vignette
-25% of units in the 1st shipment is properly centered

Made in Korea and "Prepare for More" tells enough.

Mar 22, 2016 at 02:54 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

MJKoski wrote:
-infinity click is far from accurate which is a real showstopper (you know exactly why...)

That's where the 'self calibration' comes in. A positive feature - I had to have 4 of my seven Zeiss/Contax calibrated for an infinity hard stop so it's nice to know you can DIY it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 04:50 AM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I understand DIY when guarantees are gone. But mechanical adjustments to a new lens, sounds like a fail.

Just imagine an infinity click which is not infinity. Then try to adjust the real infinity around the dent.

Mar 22, 2016 at 05:17 AM
r.gil
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

I wonder were they got the neutrinos to do the coating?

Mar 22, 2016 at 09:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

It looks like the new IRIX 11mm f/4 an 15/2.4 will indeed be available for the Sony E-mount.
Check out this video (Also added to the first post)

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

MJKoski wrote:
I understand DIY when guarantees are gone. But mechanical adjustments to a new lens, sounds like a fail.

Just imagine an infinity click which is not infinity. Then try to adjust the real infinity around the dent.

Well a) there's obviously no loss of guarantee this way and b) it seems it will be no different to the Sigma Dock that works very well - even that is trial & error.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

r.gil wrote:
I wonder were they got the neutrinos to do the coating?

Yes, not just capturing those pesky neutrinos but getting the glass thick enough for them not to just slip thru, neutrinos being so small and everything.

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4 lenses

Reminds me of the Willy -Wonka Chocolate Factory movie with those Oompa-loompas guys running around.

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.