New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Linda Shorey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Adams in the Distance

I'm interested in your general comments about shooting vast expanse landscapes, without anything in the foreground for scale. Do you feel there are times it works? Examples (discuss or post a pic)? Any specific comments for this pic? (other than "soft" - lol). Thank you!

Mar 16, 2016 at 04:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Adams in the Distance

This is Ben's expertise, although others also do more landscapes than I do and may offer more.
Of course the answer is, "it depends". Your image is a bit busy in the foreground, but I think it adds to the interest. A "purer" landscape here wouldn't hold as much interest for me.
In addition to the context and interest of the foreground, much of the image is low contrast and fairly flat, reducing its visual draw. The foreground adds some needed intensity.

What about no obvious scale, foreground context? (before your time) here is an image I posted that I think works partly because others haven't been there, but mostly because of play of shape and light.
Second image adds a bit of scale, but without much foreground.

Scott

Mar 16, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Adams in the Distance

sbeme wrote:
This is Ben's expertise, although others also do more landscapes than I do and may offer more.
Of course the answer is, "it depends". Your image is a bit busy in the foreground, but I think it adds to the interest. A "purer" landscape here wouldn't hold as much interest for me.
In addition to the context and interest of the foreground, much of the image is low contrast and fairly flat, reducing its visual draw. The foreground adds some needed intensity.

What about no obvious scale, foreground context? (before your time) here is an image I posted that I think works
...Show more

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply and these stunning images, Scott. I do love when light is the star of the show; however, there were aspects of my Mt Adams shot that appealed to me so I thought I'd toss it in here for a bit of feedback. Your time and opinion are greatly appreciated!

Mar 16, 2016 at 07:42 PM
Henry Lydecker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Hi Linda,

I think in this case you do have some interesting objects in the "foreground", particularly the building with its plume of smoke rising. For capturing landscapes like this I personally like using telephoto lenses to let me "extract" scenes or compositions from the grand expanse.

This photo looks like it was during a day with pretty nice for humans weather, which isn't always ideal for dramatic lighting (I always feel the most dramatic light is right before the weather becomes awful). I think a circular polariser could have helped you get some more contrast and drama in the image by darkening the sky.

Also you should look into how you turn your images black and white, as that will give you more control over how dramatic you want it to be. To me this image is somewhat flat and a bit "blue" from pure black and white.

I hope all of that helps!

Mar 17, 2016 at 06:28 AM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Henry Lydecker wrote:
Hi Linda,

I think in this case you do have some interesting objects in the "foreground", particularly the building with its plume of smoke rising. For capturing landscapes like this I personally like using telephoto lenses to let me "extract" scenes or compositions from the grand expanse.

This photo looks like it was during a day with pretty nice for humans weather, which isn't always ideal for dramatic lighting (I always feel the most dramatic light is right before the weather becomes awful). I think a circular polariser could have helped you get some more contrast and drama in the
...Show more

Thank you very much, Henry! This was at sunrise with the sun kind of behind me, a bit to left. There is a slight bit of color on the mountain top and sky, but the rest of the valley is in shadow. I'm thinking I should have stuck with a color image here I used the selenium toning in Silver Efex pro, but it doesn't seem to translate well to most monitors (on my editing computer I can see silvery blue more than here).

I read a terrific article last year on "telephoto landscapes" and have done one or two (only have the 70 -300 mm on APS-C camera). We have so many wide open views around central WA, it's hard to resist - especially when there is Mt Adams frequently wanting to be in the composition

Thank you again! Greatly appreciate your time and feedback.

Mar 17, 2016 at 08:12 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Adams in the Distance

I generally prefer no man made stuff in my landscapes with old barns, bridges or rail fences the occasional exception. But an image of Rainier, Adams or Hood with a skyline of Seattle, Vancouver or Portland works for me as long as it is a classic skyline of sky scrapers and not an industrial area.

I shoot very wide, up to 11mm FF. I seldom worry about scale. Most time I crop some top or bottom because UWA is mostly about the landform not the sky. This is an example of one where I did not crop.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Adams in the Distance

ben egbert wrote:
I generally prefer no man made stuff in my landscapes with old barns, bridges or rail fences the occasional exception. But an image of Rainier, Adams or Hood with a skyline of Seattle, Vancouver or Portland works for me as long as it is a classic skyline of sky scrapers and not an industrial area.

I shoot very wide, up to 11mm FF. I seldom worry about scale. Most time I crop some top or bottom because UWA is mostly about the landform not the sky. This is an example of one where I did not crop.

Thank you so much, Ben! And also for offering this awesome example of ultra-wide. Your comment about being about landform, not sky, was most interesting. Appreciate your time!

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Henry Lydecker wrote:
To me this image is somewhat flat and a bit "blue" from pure black and white.

+1 @ flat. I don't have any issues with the busier foreground - I dig seeing towns outside these giant beauties of nature. My problem is that the image lacks depth. No issues with the toning - the coolness works for me.

Take a look at your white and black points and your gamma and you should find a shot with more pop.

I applied some USM and recropped into a more pano look (tightening up the shot and removing some of the bald sky that wasn't really adding any interest).

Cheers!

Jeff

.edit Hell, my rework doesn't really improve on the flatness that much. Look to push/pull your tones in the fore/mid/background in order to play this up more.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Jeff, thanks so much for your time and suggestions!

Mar 18, 2016 at 01:17 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Linda Shorey wrote:
Jeff, thanks so much for your time and suggestions!

No prob! I know that the tighter crop kinda goes against the "big expanse" feel, but that mountain is pretty dang big compared to the town below it.

Jeff

Mar 18, 2016 at 01:21 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mount Adams in the Distance

beavens wrote:
... but that mountain is pretty dang big compared to the town below it.

Jeff

that is kind of the point

Mar 18, 2016 at 01:23 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mount Adams in the Distance

I like Jeff's rework.
Wanna share the SOOC or a downsized color version to play with for BW conversions?
Scott

Mar 18, 2016 at 06:29 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mount Adams in the Distance

sbeme wrote:
I like Jeff's rework.
Wanna share the SOOC or a downsized color version to play with for BW conversions?
Scott

Thanks for your interest, Scott! Here is a jpg from raw with just a few ACR edits, via PS Elements. I actually have a "slightly" color version (with a lot of edits ) as 8x12 print. Lighting: shot at sunrise, with the valley still in shadow. (site said max size I could upload is 1.4 mb)

Mar 18, 2016 at 06:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Linda
took a look at the larger file but I have to say I couldn't do much with it. I think the contrast is just too low and too little color separation to pull apart in BW conversion.
Scott

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mount Adams in the Distance

Decided to play a little.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mount Adams in the Distance

sbeme wrote:
Linda
took a look at the larger file but I have to say I couldn't do much with it. I think the contrast is just too low and too little color separation to pull apart in BW conversion.
Scott

Thanks very much, Scott.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mount Adams in the Distance

beavens wrote:
Decided to play a little.

Thank you!

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.