New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 7 Portraits

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7 Portraits

I usually only post one or two shots from a session because I find I get more specific feedback, and it also forces me to commit to one or two shots. But I figured for a change of pace I'd show a few more options from a session.

As I've explained in the past, my goal for these is to walk a line where I'm respecting the uniform and having some sense of decorum, but reflecting the subjects' personalities more than typical "I'm a steely-eyed killer" military portraits. Promoting a relaxed environment for a subject in a dress uniform can be a challenge, and I work very hard at modulating the conversation and environment to oscillate between "too loose" and "too formal."

All shots on my Hasselblad, using either FP4+ or Portra 160.

1. My overall top selection.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-001.jpg

2. An interesting out-take.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-002.jpg

3. Playing it fairly straight
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-003.jpg

4. This one was is a close second for me. More personality than #1, but also looser. I may change my mind.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-004.jpg

5. Similar expression to above but tighter
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-005.jpg

6. Expression a little flat, but not as flat as it looks compared to #5.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-006.jpg

7. I made him move his hat around constantly so he wouldn't be stiff, and it provoked some humor.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/trey-007.jpg

Mar 16, 2016 at 04:04 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7 Portraits

Great set Evan. Kinda fond of #2 myself.

Mar 16, 2016 at 05:43 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7 Portraits

Hey Evan, really enjoy these shots like usual from you. The lighting seems different here, from what I've been seeing from you in your recent military portraits. The main light seems stronger than usual. Or it may be that his facial tone reflected the light more. I really like the expression you caught in No. 1. Great job!

Mar 17, 2016 at 09:24 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7 Portraits

Thanks guys!

I light every shoot differently depending on how I view the subject. While there are some principles I try to keep consistent, I'm constantly experimenting with the best way to do these shoots.

Cheers!
-E

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7 Portraits

I think 2 is the best of the set, and if it were at all your goal to take a 'powerful' portrait as opposed to a formal one, I think you'd agree. There's a reason why an outtake made your selections.

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:24 PM
VilleK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7 Portraits

Very nice work Evan! As always I think my favourite here is #3.

What kind of setup you use for scanning your color negatives? I have been using Epson V550 with Epson's own software and I really struggle with the automatic color correction (which cannot be turned off). The color balance I'm getting really depends of the content of the image which makes the editing a really frustrating process. I really like taking pictures with my 500C/M which I'm not using as much as I'd like to because of the annoying computer work. Do you have any tips regarding this?

Thank you in advance!

Mar 18, 2016 at 03:38 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7 Portraits

Thanks all!

Jeremy: you are probably right.

Ville: I am terrible at scanning color so I let PhotoVision do it. I wish I could be more help. In my past experience, Silverfast is a much more flexible program for scanning, though.

Mar 18, 2016 at 03:54 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7 Portraits

I think these are too contrasty, poorly exposed or processed with blown whites and skin-tones and dark shadows with lost shadow detail. And, they have that grainy film look which was thought to be desirable back when it was more familiar, and we were all used to looking at poorer quality photographs, but now it just looks dated. The only arguable advantage of film is that it transitions more smoothly from dark to light areas and may have more dynamic range, yet these images do not take advantage of any of that.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:03 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7 Portraits

elliotkramer wrote:
I think these are too contrasty, poorly exposed or processed with blown whites and skin-tones and dark shadows with lost shadow detail. And, they have that grainy film look which was thought to be desirable back when it was more familiar, and we were all used to looking at poorer quality photographs, but now it just looks dated. The only arguable advantage of film is that it transitions more smoothly from dark to light areas and may have more dynamic range, yet these images do not take advantage of any of that.

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate the consistency with which you evaluate the images I post.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:11 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7 Portraits

I'll bet the prints are spectacular. Scanned 80 kb jpg on a forum probably compressed in the host is not something I judge to critically for technical issues.

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:23 PM
Statitica
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7 Portraits

These are cool. I like the variety between staunch and stern, and relaxed and jovial.

Good work.

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:03 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7 Portraits

I think the skin tones are a little too bright. The film seems to holds the highlight on them so they don't hit pure white, but they still seem a little harsh.
I liked #2 the first time I saw it, after reviewing it I think the others are much better.
I think 1 and 3 are the best. They both show personality and power very well.
#6 has a deer in the headlights look to it. Almost a hint of happiness and fear. It doesn't work for me. Also there is a giant hair on his jacket or the scan.
Your dedication to getting an authentic portrait is great. Keep it up and thanks for posting. I was actually surprised that you posted so many.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7 Portraits

I find the light on his face a little hot in #1 but it's good elsewhere in the frame.

I feel #1 probably best captures the hint of his personality via the smirk and accomplishes your goal.

Your intent of the portrait aside, #2 is the most engaging photo of the set -- it is the one where I see a man in dress uniform and wonder what he is thinking. If he were a cocktail, it seems he may be made of equal parts thankfulness, regret, and honoring veterans with a dash of "how did they make this hat"

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:31 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7 Portraits

These are just brilliant Evan! I love the candid expressions and not the typical stoic posture of a military person.
The sitting position can present a problem with what to do with the "headgear" but you solved that well. Unconventional(?) and complimentary.
Dan

Mar 23, 2016 at 08:55 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7 Portraits

Very nice shots Evan,

I really like the series but the first one is my favorite, I like the color version.

Marcelo

Mar 23, 2016 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.