New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

Which minimum required Monitor (except Mac) for a color calibrated environment, with specifications IPS, cost-effective brand etc.please...

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

what's your budget and how large a monitor?

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

It is not a thing to buy on budget I think, as a technical stuff. Anyway medium size is enough, even 21 inch will do....

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

there's *always* a budget.

24" NEC PA242W-SV

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

Almost any IPS screen will suffice if you have a color calibrator. If you don't, you'll want something pre-calibrated. Asus PA-series qualify.

Mar 16, 2016 at 02:41 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

First time hearing 'Pre-calibration'....
Will you please elaborate a little on this.

Mar 16, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

And what program VFM for calibration ?

Im into Limited Edition reprinting of Oil Paintings.

I capture the Painting, using my A7r mounted with a Minolta 50 f 2.8 Macro, and then edit the captured image.
Then print on my Epson 9900.
I am supposed to produce EXACTLY same color.

What Softwear for this?

Thanks for help...
Sunny Alan

Mar 16, 2016 at 02:52 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

I have heard that that (getting the colors exact) is quite difficult regardless of screen calibration. It has to do w/ the spectral response of the paint to the lighting etc.

Mar 16, 2016 at 03:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

I really can't tell you about the broad range of options, but you clearly new a tightly calibrated monitor as well as nailing the lighting and color temps in your shooting.Which you certainly know more than I do.
I also have the NEC PA241-W SV (built for and supplied with Spectravision software and calibration device). Multi modes to switch color spaces, emulate papers. Prices have been dropping. Zero problems. Super easy to calibrate.
Given your work and if cost is not crucial, I might stick with the series but go up a few inches in size.

Good luck. Sounds interesting.

Scott

Mar 16, 2016 at 08:14 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

Look at different screens - even iPads and such - to see how you like the different pixels per inch. Higher ppi gives you smaller images when viewed at 1:1 (image pixel for screen pixel) but they look great. You might like a larger size on screen but then you might find that seeing and noticing the pixel boundaries is distracting. For me, less than 130ppi is no good, 130-180 is good, 180-220 is very good, more than 220 makes the images look very good but usually too small for me to see the details.

Some monitors such as my Dell up2414Q (185ppi) offer pre-set sRGB and Adobe RGB colorspace but you can still mess it up by changing the brightness and contrast manually. Some, like NEC with SpectraView II, can do that too but can also be switched to different configurations that you create, and it will automatically set the brightness for you as well as the colours. This allows tweaking image edits suitable for different print-viewing conditions by setting the monitor to those conditions. The NECs typically process more bits per colour channel internally and externally than the Dell can, which is a very useful feature for getting colour uniformity all over the screen, but they also generally have lower ppi at around 90-110 (too low for me).

I assume that you have colour profiles for your printer ink/paper combinations too.

Once you have the ppi sorted out in your head, consider how big you want the screen to be, and why. It used to be that bigger was the only way to get extra pixels but now you can do the with higher ppi instead. You can use multiple screens instead of or as well as a bigger screen, but you'll want a graphics card that can cope with the overall pixel count.

Also make sure that you can get the resolution and refresh rate you want (60Hz is better than 30Hz) from the graphics card to your monitor. e.g. they might need compatible connectors such as DisplayPort 1.2 or higher, or HDMI 1.4 or higher.

I consider matte screens to be far better than glossy screens but some others disagree. You decide what you like before you buy because especially in the cheaper end of the market matte is unavailable or more expensive. The high-end monitors from NEC and Eizo are all matte screens.

I recommend that you avoid too many compromises because all of your photography and editing is managed through the monitor. You can get consistently good results from a slow computer but not from a poor quality monitor.

- Alan

Apr 04, 2016 at 11:42 AM
Coosguy

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monitor for color calibrated environment

BenQ SW2700PT. http://benqimage.blob.core.windows.net/driver-us-file/SW2700PT_datasheet_Aug2015.pdf
Cost effective 99% Adobe

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:16 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.