p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · D7200 vs D500

you accept all that you can get

Apr 03, 2016 at 09:34 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · D7200 vs D500

gleephoto wrote:
Can I ask why you like that popup flash?

Now that they are building in the radio capabilities into the camera I just can't see any use for that pop-up flash. I've always found popup flashes that provide really harsh lighting unless you are using some sort of modifier.

Either way it's something pretty small that isn't a make it or break it. I guess that's what we get though for getting a pro grade DX camera. It's no different than what Canon has been doing with similar pro grade models for over a decade.

Hi

I use the popup flash as a quick fill flash. The point being that it is always there to just pop up and dump some fill light if I desire to.

Carrying around a pocket flash to have to remove from my pocket and slide onto the D500 hotshoe does not replace the convenience/quickness of what I have had with the popup flashes on the Nikon bodies.

Everyone is different. I like the popup flash. NO....I really like a popup flash. Some do not. I accept that. I hope that answers your question and does not open a debate by others on whether or not I should like a popup flash.

Apr 12, 2016 at 08:50 AM
chatcher
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · D7200 vs D500

bs kite wrote:
Hi

I use the popup flash as a quick fill flash. The point being that it is always there to just pop up and dump some fill light if I desire to.

Carrying around a pocket flash to have to remove from my pocket and slide onto the D500 hotshoe does not replace the convenience/quickness of what I have had with the popup flashes on the Nikon bodies.

Everyone is different. I like the popup flash. NO....I really like a popup flash. Some do not. I accept that. I hope that answers your question and does not open a debate by
...Show more

At first I was a little dismayed that the D500 didn't have a built-in flash. One more prosumer body missing one of the features that made the D700 so popular. But when I consider that I really only use an internal flash as a CLS commander - which means I have to have other equipment with me anyway - it's an omission I can live with. It would have been nice if it had a built-in RF commander, and the fact that it doesn't means I won't be buying any SB-5000's in the near future. I'll use an SU-800 on the camera and the "old" IR CLS system.

Let's stay positive here and celebrate the round eyepiece that the D300 was missing!

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM
scottish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · D7200 vs D500

I like having the pop-up flash available as a commander for my off-camera SB flashes. While I do have a set of TTL radio triggers, nothing beats the convenience and speed of setup. I have the DOF preview button on my D-750 call up the top item on My Menu, which is set to the Commander Mode menu. This lets me quickly adjust Groups A & B and is invaluable as I use speedlights a lot for portraiture.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · D7200 vs D500

Wasn't aware there was a flash that did 10 fps

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:19 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · D7200 vs D500

cvrle59 wrote:
I had a chance to play with D500 in my local store, but I couldn't find the way to get exposure preview (simulation) in Live View (still photography). Nikon rep tried too, and he couldn't find it either.
I went to another store and I played with D7200, unfortunately, I couldn't find it.
D750 has it as an option, once "i" button is pressed, I think D810 has the same sequence.
Is this available on D7200 at all?
If D7200 has it, I would think, D500 would have it too.
I find this very piratical when shooting in tough conditions.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

I questioned Nikon's support on this matter, so this is the answer,

"The D500 has exposure simulation. When in live view mode, pressing the OK button will bring up the exposure scale; once the exposure scale is visible in the screen the camera will actually show the simulated exposure in live view."

Apr 19, 2016 at 09:35 AM
cencored
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · D7200 vs D500

Right let's get this back to topic please.
Now with the D500 having been released and put through its paces by some, are we still in agreement that it's a camera for Sports/Wildlife shooters and that the D7200 is perfectly well suited for landscapes (i.e. me lol)?

Jun 20, 2016 at 06:11 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · D7200 vs D500

cencored wrote:
the D7200 is perfectly well suited for landscapes (i.e. me lol)?

Correct, it is perfectly well suited for landscapes, and more.
(As is the D500, which is a hell of a lot more camera!)

Jun 20, 2016 at 07:57 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · D7200 vs D500

cvrle59 wrote:
I questioned Nikon's support on this matter, so this is the answer,

"The D500 has exposure simulation. When in live view mode, pressing the OK button will bring up the exposure scale; once the exposure scale is visible in the screen the camera will actually show the simulated exposure in live view."

I am curious what this exposure simulation means. Am I right to think this adjusts the live view image brightness to match the selected exposure? As I understand it, the aperture can be adjusted in live view, and the result seen directly i.e. changed depth of field.

Jun 21, 2016 at 06:10 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · D7200 vs D500

LeifG wrote:
I am curious what this exposure simulation means. Am I right to think this adjusts the live view image brightness to match the selected exposure? As I understand it, the aperture can be adjusted in live view, and the result seen directly i.e. changed depth of field.

Correct...it does help when you shoot in extreme situation using live view, so you get the feel what's gonna happen, once you press the button.
Some call it exposure preview, or whatever else.

Jun 21, 2016 at 07:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · D7200 vs D500

cencored wrote:
Right let's get this back to topic please.
Now with the D500 having been released and put through its paces by some, are we still in agreement that it's a camera for Sports/Wildlife shooters and that the D7200 is perfectly well suited for landscapes (i.e. me lol)?

I actually like the 100% crops of my D7200 files, better than those taken with the D500.

200-500

Jun 21, 2016 at 07:48 AM
cencored
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · D7200 vs D500

That's a good looking crop indeed.

Well I have made the decision to purchase the D7200. I believe it will be superior to my D300 in most aspects and I do not think I will get enough value out of a D500 to justify the higher cost.
I also have decided not to invest into FX just yet as it will be beyond my current budget and yield minimal improvements for my type of work (being 100% landscape).

Am I going from a professional body to an entry level body? Perhaps. Do I look like a beginner with that camera? Perhaps. I've got nothing to prove and have had my fair share of accolade in the past decade. I let my images do the talking.

Jun 21, 2016 at 06:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · D7200 vs D500

Am I going from a professional body to an entry level body?
Not at all, it was Nikon's DX flagship (until the D500's release)
The D7200 fixed everything that was wrong with the D7100
The D3xxx/5xxx are the "entry level" offerings. You'll love it.

Jun 21, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · D7200 vs D500

cencored wrote:
That's a good looking crop indeed.

Well I have made the decision to purchase the D7200. I believe it will be superior to my D300 in most aspects and I do not think I will get enough value out of a D500 to justify the higher cost.
I also have decided not to invest into FX just yet as it will be beyond my current budget and yield minimal improvements for my type of work (being 100% landscape).

Am I going from a professional body to an entry level body? Perhaps. Do I look like a beginner with that camera? Perhaps. I've got
...Show more

Exactly. I do this for a living and until the D500 come out was using a D7200. The people who shun you for having a "lesser" body tend to be the worst photographers anyway. Like you say, let the images do the talking.

Jun 21, 2016 at 07:06 PM
cencored
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · D7200 vs D500

Good to hear Steve.
ByThom summarises it really well in his D7200 review:

"Realistically, this is the DSLR that most serious shooters should be considering in the Nikon lineup. You have to have a very specific need above and beyond the D7200’s feature set and performance to really justify anything else. No, that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to see Nikon introduce a D300s replacement, only that the D7200 is one heck of a well-defined and refined camera that should satisfy a large majority of even the serious shooters. "

It's settled

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:42 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · D7200 vs D500

cencored wrote:
Good to hear Steve.
ByThom summarises it really well in his D7200 review:

"Realistically, this is the DSLR that most serious shooters should be considering in the Nikon lineup. You have to have a very specific need above and beyond the D7200’s feature set and performance to really justify anything else. No, that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to see Nikon introduce a D300s replacement, only that the D7200 is one heck of a well-defined and refined camera that should satisfy a large majority of even the serious shooters. "

It's settled

That'a great statement

The thing is, cameras, lenses, etc, they're all just tools to get the job done. Too often, people get wrapped up in where they camera lands in the manufacture's lineup and assume that the "higher end" it is, the better it is - and that's simply not the case. If I was just shooting landscapes and using DX, it would be D7200 for me as well.

Jun 22, 2016 at 06:59 AM
xelas
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · D7200 vs D500

@cencored, thank you for bringing back this thread. Myself I was in similar situation like you (with D7100) and have also decided for D7200. I love this camera! And for the difference in price I added a nice 200-500 to it (well, it was the other way around, but financially, it is true).
Will and Steve, while other people were reading and trying to make a qualified decision, I have put a couple of thousand frames on the clock :-))

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:13 AM
BFDStang

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · D7200 vs D500

I have been enjoying my D7100 for bird photography but I have been looking for a D7200 for the increased buffer. It must be a good camera because they are never on the BST board.

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:33 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · D7200 vs D500

BFDStang wrote:
I have been enjoying my D7100 for bird photography but I have been looking for a D7200 for the increased buffer. It must be a good camera because they are never on the BST board.

You might want to try for a refurb. then....Robert's and other eBay vendors usually have 'em.

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:59 AM
1       2       3              5      
       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.