New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First long exposures with filters

mxwizard1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First long exposures with filters

My Meet-Up Photo group did a walk about on Saturday with the topic of " Long Exposure " I bought my polarizer and 10 stop ND filter a few weeks ago and didn't really have good success with them...A little Googling and a cheat sheet helped me out a lot. The first image is the out of camera file...As I cropped these I heard the voice in my head of all of you and offer these 2 processed images. I have heard someone say that they are not into these kind of images as they are too busy ( don't recall who that was )..All suggestion really appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Mar 15, 2016 at 01:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First long exposures with filters

2nd one for me. Water features are often busy with down trees etc. This is not bad at all and I like the crop. I tend to prefer 1/5 to 1/10 second shutters to avoid an overly blurred look, and pure white water, but you have retained good texture in the white water.

Overall nice job.

Mar 15, 2016 at 03:41 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First long exposures with filters

I agree with Ben, I like the 2nd one the best. I also prefer a little more texture in the water.

Nice job

Walt

Mar 15, 2016 at 05:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First long exposures with filters

2nd for me.
I like the look of these. The silky water, with a hint of browns and greens, nicely sets itself apart from the textures of the forest. The hint of color provides a bit of integration of the disparate elements.
The BW works, but feels a bit less "rich" and welcoming.

Scott

Mar 15, 2016 at 06:46 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First long exposures with filters

First of all, nice shot, the smooth water works well and the composition is great. The diagonal lines of the creek and the perpendicular parallels of the lines of whitewater and downed trees provide great structure. The color processing in 2 is nice too, vibrant but still natural.

I'm not a fan of the cloned in greenery. It turns the forest into a flat backdrop instead of a three dimensional setting. I think the original bare moss covered branches catch the way the light filters down to the creek perfectly. Likewise the crop feels cut off at the top to me. Here's a 5x7 crop that I might go with. Notice how the top of the moss covered tree just right of center even has a similar form to the ferns on the bank. I also cloned out the bright spot of sky.

The black and white is nice, but all that beautiful green moss just cries out for a color treatment.

Cheers,
Heron

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:40 AM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First long exposures with filters

Thank-you for all your input on these. I have been here before and the moss just has this almost neon glow to it, almost an HDR appearance in real life. I did play with HSL sliders in Lightroom, by desaturating all the colors then bringing up each channel slowly and seeing what changed..

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First long exposures with filters

I'd suggest the composition may be stronger with a bit more room on the left. (As usual, not suggesting you create more image on the left in PP, but illustrating my composition suggestion.)

Mar 16, 2016 at 04:01 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First long exposures with filters

AuntiPode wrote:
I'd suggest the composition may be stronger with a bit more room on the left. (As usual, not suggesting you create more image on the left in PP, but illustrating my composition suggestion.)

Yes I would agree...And thanks for the incite.

Mar 16, 2016 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.