FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Focus Settings for a7rII

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus Settings for a7rII

At the risk of causing Zach to go totally ballistic, here is yet another Sony question. One that is more specific to wedding shooting and one that I have not been able to get totally satisfying answer to in the Sony forum. So bear with me Zach.

I love back button focus. I have my a7rII set to back button focus with the AF/MF button. My question, when having back button focus set up like this, is there a way to keep the focus box activated so that you can change it's location any time that you want? I'm just trying to find a way to keep the focus box activated when set to Flexible Spot. For example, if I activate the focus box move it to where I want and then touch the shutter button to take a photo it deactivates the focus box and now it is a two step process to reactivate the focus box so that I can move it again. Pushing the AF/MF button focuses but it does not allow me to move the focus box. I have to get the Focus Area menu back up. To do that I have to push the center button once to bring up the Focus Area Menu and then a 2nd time to actually bring up the focus box which now allows me to move it. It's workable but cumbersome.

Or have you found a better way to do this?

Firmware version 3.10

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus Settings for a7rII

I add a question here:

I only have the A7 and A7s (yet) and here I only use single point, central AF with bach button focus.

At Mystic Seminars I played a couple of times with a A7rII and got a mixed impression with the face (eye) following AF capabilities.

You can set up the A7rII to lock onto a face (or even an eye) and it will following that face when you move the camera or the person moves.

Initial quite impressive in moderately dim light, indoors, large basement room in a hotel. Ny impression was, that if you keep on following the subject this way the focus starts to jump after a few seconds and make it unusable...

So you may follow the bride while cake-cutting, wait for the perfect moment and just as it happens, the focus point might jump to her shoulder...

Anyone has experience with this?

heiko

Mar 15, 2016 at 02:41 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus Settings for a7rII

In short, no. I have the AF selection at factory, which is the C1 button near the shutter. Press once and you can move the box with the rear controller or change the size with the wheels.

I wish there was a quicker way as well.

Heiko.

I've only tested the eye AF in good light and it's ridiculous. It was uncanny how well it found the eye. But it's not something I've really used hard.

Gordon

Mar 15, 2016 at 02:54 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus Settings for a7rII

flash wrote:
In short, no. I have the AF selection at factory, which is the C1 button near the shutter. Press once and you can move the box with the rear controller or change the size with the wheels.

Gordon

This is a tad bit better than what I had. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2016 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.