New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Maineguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

I recently posted a Wanted To Buy (WTB) on FM. I had a person contact me with a Canon 6D and grip that I am wanting to purchase. He is NEW Fred Miranda member as of October 2015 and does NOT have any "feedback" for sales. His price is a little under what I expected. I am a little hesitant of buying from a new FM member who has not bought or sold anything on the Buy & Sell. I am thinking of asking him for his phone number so that we can have a conversation so that I can get a gut feeling about the buyer. Any other suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Peter Urbanski wrote:
... Any other suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Don't use PayPal gift payment.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:17 AM
jancohen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

^ +1 to the nth power.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

What is PayPal gift payment? Am I covered through regular PayPal if I get scammed?

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

FWIW, Peter WTB ads are a prime source of folks who intend less than honorable purchases. While not inclusive, those Sellers who have turned out to be scammers have been those w/o feedback, among other things. So.... not only would I ask for a Tel #, I'd ask for a hard street address, city and state, a full complete name, as well as links to sites where Seller has feedback for sales of items of similar $ amount. I would demand photographs of the 6D in each of which was a 3x5 card on which Seller had put his name and the then current date and as well post his photos with EXIF data retained. Other folks may show up here to add their own requirements. As <jcolwell> has said DO NOT USE PP GIFT!!!!!, and if the Seller even suggests you do that, let alone require it, get of Dodge forthwith.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

PP gift is that means of payment intended for persons who are family, or, for folks who would like it for you to give up Buyer Protection.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:19 AM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Anthony & jcolwell,
Great words of advice and wisdom. I figured that this was probably a SCAM and needed more information as to how to "flush-out" the scammer. I have made a screen shot of your post for future reference.
Thanks,
Peter

Mar 15, 2016 at 08:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Peter Urbanski wrote:
Anthony & jcolwell,
Great words of advice and wisdom. I figured that this was probably a SCAM and needed more information as to how to "flush-out" the scammer. I have made a screen shot of your post for future reference.
Thanks,
Peter

In case you don't know, it is possible to select Share and then Print to create a print file, pdf, etc. of the thread depending on your OS and apps.

EBH

Mar 15, 2016 at 08:46 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Just keep in mind that each and every one of us was at one point a 'New FMer' with no feedback.
Exercise due diligence with any transaction, but don't discount someone purely on the basis of them being new to the forum or having no feedback

Mar 15, 2016 at 09:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

D.Hussey wrote:
Just keep in mind that each and every one of us was at one point a 'New FMer' with no feedback.

Not every one. I was a second-round draft pick from PDML, with a +2048 likes bonus for time-served on photo.net.

D.Hussey wrote:
Exercise due diligence with any transaction, but don't discount someone purely on the basis of them being new to the forum or having no feedback

+1

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

In addition to all mentioned above, if he has been a member since last Oct. See what posts he has made. If he has made some posts over a period of time it at least shows he has been active here. Some people have been here for years and just haven't used the B&S board. Like was said, you've got to start somewhere.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

Excellent advice and thoughts from everyone. I have been "burned" before (not on FM) and have to assume that the person who is responding to a WTB ad may be dishonest and therefore have to protect myself from possibly losing $1000. Last evening, I wrote the person who responded to my WTB and I included everything that should be asked of the seller that Anthony Semone suggested. Maybe its too early to tell, but the seller has not responded to me as of this time and I have assume he is a scammer. As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" is the lesson learned. I hope this topic and all the advice and suggestions may help others protect themselves from people who are dishonest.

Mar 16, 2016 at 07:34 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

It's unfortunate that our mind-set is "he must be a scammer". Not all WTB adds are placed by dishonest members and certainlly not all potential sellers who don't respond to pm's are scammers.

From the responses, the common points are check past posts from the seller. Get photos of what is being sold with the sellers FM handle in the pictures. Don't pay with PP Gift. Finally, get a Facebook page, Flickr site or feedback from past ebay sales to substantiate the potential seller.

If after doing all this, PayPal has a dispute mechanism and if you paid through PP using a credit card, then you are protected by your credit card company.

Good luck.

To the OP, beautiful website and photographs.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bey & Sell: Question about a new FM seller

When I made my first sales offering on Fredmiranda I was able to direct people to my sales record on eBay so they had a good idea of my honesty and accuracy in describing items for sale.

With items like cameras there are usually many for sale from a variety of sources and no need to go with someone without a track record. If doing this the safest place I believe is Amazon.com as if there is a problem you have a much better chance of getting your money credited back to your bank card than if using eBay and Paypal. I only use Paypal to buy items that are only available from overseas sellers and where the cost is under $75 so I can write it off if it turns out to be a problem.

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.