New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

Hey guys it's me again. f5.0, 18.3mm (DX sensor), 1/125s ISO 400. Cropped a little bit from the left.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/455/19476327433_58dc36a008_b.jpg

Mar 15, 2016 at 06:03 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

I like it, Pixle!

Looks like you've got some wonky perspective distortion going on, most noticeably in the buildings. I took at stab at a quick rework below (one streetlight still needs to be fixed) as food for thought.

The perspective in terms of the shot really works here by looking over the girl's shoulder (just as she's doing) and peering into the busy crowd below. What really sells this one for me are the tiny details in the girl's lean, her fingers gripping the edge and the angle of her eyes looking down. The eye-grabbing clothing and flower are really working for me as well.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mar 15, 2016 at 07:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

The message is pretty clear @ the story line of the girl looking to see the activities below. The selective focus does a nice job of keeping the relevance on her and retarding the pull of below from competing too hard ... yet in play with asymmetric mass for balance.

The leading line of her position gives a conduit to and fro, as well.

Nice job.

Mar 15, 2016 at 08:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

I beg to disagree.
The image does not work for me. With so much real estate out of focus there is competition with the scene below and beyond and the girl. And I find my eye drawn to the scene below by size, position in the frame, and following her gaze. If the image is more about the girl viewing the scene below, showing a bit more of her expression, gaze would strengthen the image.
I think this would work better both with more of her expression and more DOF.
Scott

Mar 15, 2016 at 09:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

sbeme wrote:
I beg to disagree.
The image does not work for me. With so much real estate out of focus there is competition with the scene below and beyond and the girl. And I find my eye drawn to the scene below by size, position in the frame, and following her gaze. If the image is more about the girl viewing the scene below, showing a bit more of her expression, gaze would strengthen the image.
Scott

I agree, first thing I noticed. But then shallow dof almost never works for me unless the background is nearly blank.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

sbeme wrote:
I beg to disagree.
Scott

That is the wonderful thing about art - two totally different opinions and yet no one is right or wrong.

To me, the image isn't so much about crowd other than to impart the sense of mass and curiosity from the girl's perspective. The angle is engaging enough to where we're not just looking at her entire back.

Normally I'm not for a shot that only a portion is in focus, but the lack of detail in the crowd is ancillary to the message that I'm receiving. It doesn't really matter *what* they are doing or *who* they are - just that they are *there* and this girl wants to get a better look at the commotion.

My $0.02!

Jeff

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

beavens wrote:
That is the wonderful thing about art - two totally different opinions and yet no one is right or wrong.

To me, the image isn't so much about crowd other than to impart the sense of mass and curiosity from the girl's perspective. The angle is engaging enough to where we're not just looking at her entire back.

Normally I'm not for a shot that only a portion is in focus, but the lack of detail in the crowd is ancillary to the message that I'm receiving. It doesn't really matter *what* they are doing or *who* they are - just
...Show more

Couldn't have said it any better. And your crop edit helps direct the viewers attention even more towards the girl.

I also have a hard time with interesting things being oof but in this image I think it works very well. I want to look at the crowd below but because there is no detail my eyes immediately go back to the young girl. Which I think is a very clever way to deliver the message.

Dave

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

lighthound wrote:
Couldn't have said it any better. And your crop edit helps direct the viewers attention even more towards the girl.

I also have a hard time with interesting things being oof but in this image I think it works very well. I want to look at the crowd below but because there is no detail my eyes immediately go back to the young girl. Which I think is a very clever way to deliver the message.

Dave

+1 @ crowd detail is inconsequential

Also, the diff @ focus conveys additional disconnect between girl and crowd ... which she is trying to overcome ... adding a bit of passive / dynamic tension.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:39 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

Thank you guys. I agree with sbeme that showing a bit more of the girl's face would make a better photo although that would not have been so easy to pull out.

I didn't motice the distortion in the buildings!

Mar 18, 2016 at 03:59 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Street candid atop Spanish Steps

When did you take this? We were at the Spanish Steps in December and they were still being renovated.

Mar 19, 2016 at 07:23 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.