New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Carlosh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Never did I dream this concept would become a nightmare! All I wanted was the ability to shoot at least 2 flash attachments remotely at 1/2000 second at a large aperture opening to maximize the bokeh and darken the background. Sounds simple, huh?

First I got 3 Yongnuo receivers and 1 transmitter. They work just fine, they just don't do HSS even though they advertise that they do. Now, I've seen confirmation from other users that they don't do HSS.

I said OK, I'll buy some pocket wizards on eBay. Today I got all the pieces in and now I have the TT1, TT5, and AC3 controller in my hot little hands.

First I found that the AC3 controller is intermittent. Most of the time it doesn't work. That's probably why they sold it. I said OK, I'll take it off. Using the Nissin 386 flash, I am able to take pics with my Canon 60d up to 1/320th of a second. Faster than that, and I start to get the dark bar at the bottom and it gets worse as the shutter speed is increased.

I tried the same setup on my Canon 6d and it will work for 2 or 3 shots at 1/800 sec or faster and after that, the camera crashes and locks up. I have to turn it off and reinsert the battery to get it to recover. I couldn't imagine doing that at a wedding.

Finally, my question. What are my options? I'm tired of paying money and getting inferior equipment in return. Is there a better remote system that will do HSS without problems? Would it help if I upgrade the firmware on the Pocket Wizard modules? I have no idea what version is installed or if the firmware is only for interfacing with a pc.

Carlos

Mar 14, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Yes, you definitely need to make sure you upgrade the PW firmware first and then try agan. Also be sure to also shoot a first calibration shot at 1/125 second. Download the PW manual.

But, your issue may be that that you are trying to control a Nissin flash with Canon PW's. I could be wrong. Then you just may not get as good of results with Canon as with Nikon. You should rent a Canon flash and try that first.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Phottix Odin is rock solid with HSS and everything else for that matter. But I only use canon guns. Can't be sure if used with other brands.

Pete

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Yongnuo 622s do HSS just fine for me. I'm on Nikon though…

C

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM
cmyb

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Just tested my 2 Pixel Knight receivers and 1 transmitter in HSS on 2 Canon 580ex's firing at the same time and works fine at 1/8000.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remote HSS Nightmare

EBay stuff just might be part of the problem...

Mar 16, 2016 at 02:53 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Remote HSS Nightmare

What flash are you shooting with? The Yongnuo TTL triggers are known to work. I've shot HSS with my (manual, first-gen) Godox AD360 using the Yongnuo 622 in the hotshoe to enable the HSS pre-fire trigger and then triggered the AD360 with the Godox transmitter.

Mar 30, 2016 at 01:44 AM
Carlosh

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Daggah: I've tried using my Canon Di866 Mark II or my Yongnuo YN568EX II. Neither one will do HSS remotely. HSS will only work with either flash attachment hooked up directly. Carlos

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Carlosh

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Remote HSS Nightmare

Game Changer wrote:
EBay stuff just might be part of the problem...

I'm starting to think that's true.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.