1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

ajamils wrote:
Hmmm, I've owned X-T1 before and granted that the RAW files are not as tweakable as the ones from A7rII, I never had any issue doing basic grading in RAW files. In fact, I found that even jpegs from Fuji are editable to a good degree (maybe that's why they are HUGE compared to jpegs from other cameras)

I don't like fuji jpegs because i shoot mainly people and when i get about 1600 iso and up the noise reduction from the camera smooths peoples faces lol.

Fuji isn't my thing and thats about it.

Jun 19, 2016 at 01:24 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Alexluu627 wrote:
Hmmm.... I bought a Fuji x100t and a xt1 to try it out and absolutely hated both of them. The lack of image quality was what got me really. The files fell apart when I did some basic color grading with curves in Photoshop. Also both bodies felt so cheap in my hands.

I'd love to see what you mean by the files 'falling apart' -- not trying to sound like a Fuji apologist (check my profile, i've shot pretty much all of it out there) and certainly Fuji isn't the most malleable, but perhaps you and I have vastly different ideas of file edit-ability (I'm not a street shooter either).

Before editing

After strong editing routines

Before

After simply color grading in PS CC

Jun 19, 2016 at 01:25 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Alexluu627 wrote:
I don't like fuji jpegs because i shoot mainly people and when i get about 1600 iso and up the noise reduction from the camera smooths peoples faces lol.

Yeah fair enough, actually Fuji has been hammered for that a lot. They seem to have gone too far in their NR with JPEGs and then they'll change the routine in another camera body. I shoot RAW so doesn't affect me, but I've tested it out before and yeah, not a fan of the waxy skin look in JPEG

Jun 19, 2016 at 01:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

cputeq wrote:
Yeah fair enough, actually Fuji has been hammered for that a lot. They seem to have gone too far in their NR with JPEGs and then they'll change the routine in another camera body. I shoot RAW so doesn't affect me, but I've tested it out before and yeah, not a fan of the waxy skin look in JPEG

I shoot raw with Fujifilm, and the X-Pro2 is doing quite well at high ISO up to 3200. (It goes higher, but I haven't tried it yet.) I'm using lower NR settings with the new files than what I typically used in similar situations with the 16MP sensor.

Dan

Jun 19, 2016 at 06:23 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Alexluu627 wrote:

In your previous post you said you spend about an hour per image in PS, so why would you even consider jpegs from any camera. Just use the raw file.

Jun 19, 2016 at 06:40 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Like many others I have shot across systems and at risk of sounding esoteric, there is something nice about a Fuji in the hand - despite menu quirks.

Never understood the love for Fuji jpegs the NR is insane even at lowest settings they smear details.

Have to shoot RAW.

Jun 19, 2016 at 08:11 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Moving from Sony A7RII to Fuji

Alexluu627 wrote:
Hmmm.... I bought a Fuji x100t and a xt1 to try it out and absolutely hated both of them. The lack of image quality was what got me really. The files fell apart when I did some basic color grading with curves in Photoshop. Also both bodies felt so cheap in my hands.

I am not a street photographer so that's probably why my experience isn't as great as a lot of people lol. I spend like an hour on photoshop per picture so I need a file that is absolutely flat and can be pushed. Everyone has there own
...Show more

I have an RX1 and there's definitely a difference compared to Fuji RAWs. With Fuji I will usually pick one of the camera profiles (which are pretty close to the film sims for jpgs) and start from there with some initial contrast and color tweaking. With Sony RAWs it's like starting from a completely blank slate, where everything needs to be thought out and decided upon by the image's author.

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.