With Mom...

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2016

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:51 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AAG @1

Looks like daughter won out here and is the star of the show!

It seems as if AAG caught your fill and may have blocked some meant for mom's face. Also appears as if AAG was your point of focus and mom might be slightly OOF in comparison. Could just be me though. Back of AAG's sweater looks like be borderline blown around the neck/shoulders.

Nit would be to clone the lint/fuzz on mom's top.

Really cool to be able to watch your grandchild grow up through your photos.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mar 14, 2016 at 01:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AAG @1

What a happy looking pair. I am sure this will be a family favorite over the years.

Mar 14, 2016 at 02:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AAG @1

Jeff, Ben
Thanks fort the input.
Jeff, you are right about the fill. Something I use too infrequently. I really have to learn more about flash.
And I agree Mom is a tad softer. Still trying to determine optimal fstop/DOF for these images. I probably should have shot at f6.7 since the background was plenty far away and would still be pleasantly blurred.

Scott

Mar 21, 2016 at 06:56 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AAG @1

Consider selective exposure, gamma, hue and saturation changes:

Mar 21, 2016 at 07:30 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AAG @1

sbeme wrote:
Still trying to determine optimal fstop/DOF for these images. I probably should have shot at f6.7 since the background was plenty far away and would still be pleasantly blurred.

I'm right there with ya, buddy. Something that is always going through my head.

Karen - any general rules of thumb when it comes to the right amount of DOF when dealing with portraiture?

Are the eyes *the* one part to make sure you hit?

Jeff

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:50 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AAG @1

Your subjects' eye contact and expressions, especially your grand daughter, are what makes the photo work for me. I like Karen's pp, but maybe darken some of the bright highlights in the background.

Steve

Mar 21, 2016 at 09:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AAG @1

Jeff, DOF depends upon what you are trying to say and the nature of your subjects. Some messages need long DOF. Some are better with short DOF and others in-between. It's generally best to keep all eyes in focus unless leaving one or more eyes not sharp somehow adds to the visual message of the image. Of course, if you want to direct attention away from a secondary subject, blur them a bit and the attention will naturally concentrate (focus) on the main, eyes-sharp sharp, subject.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:58 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AAG @1

AuntiPode wrote:
Jeff, DOF depends upon what you are trying to say and the nature of your subjects. Some messages need long DOF. Some are better with short DOF and others in-between. It's generally best to keep all eyes in focus unless leaving one or more eyes not sharp somehow adds to the visual message of the image. Of course, if you want to direct attention away from a secondary subject, blur them a bit and the attention will naturally concentrate (focus) on the main, eyes-sharp sharp, subject.

Many thanks Karen!

Mar 22, 2016 at 08:33 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AAG @1

Thought about skin degrunging but decided not too. Agree with Karen; need to address the exposure. My mind's eye try.

http://s19.postimg.org/6k0zixbar/1270418.jpg

Mar 24, 2016 at 08:52 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AAG @1

lylejk wrote:
Thought about skin degrunging but decided not too. Agree with Karen; need to address the exposure. My mind's eye try.

http://s19.postimg.org/6k0zixbar/1270418.jpg

Much more realistic complexions. Nice job! Can you explain how you did your magic?

Steve

Mar 24, 2016 at 09:42 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AAG @1

Contrast mask and did some selective de-emphathizing (though subtle) with the background. Also whitened the ladie's teeth just a bit (not overly so). Glad you liked the result.

Mar 27, 2016 at 02:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AAG @1

Very well sone, Lyle

Scott

Mar 27, 2016 at 05:00 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · AAG @1

Thanks, Scott.

Mar 27, 2016 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.