Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · A7 Loose mount: has anyone been able to fix one?

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A7 Loose mount: has anyone been able to fix one?

UPDATE: One more reason why the Brass, "TOUGH E-Mount Signature Edition LT" from Fotodiox Pro, is the best option for the Mk 1 A7's

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd include this here, about my own A7's broken, loose, "wiggle" mount, and a cure using the above mount.

Just like uhoh7's example near the start of this thread,(his video below), I had a camera with a loose mount that can be pushed into the camera, though mine is to the base of the mount, not the side, and mine was caused through the impact of a fall.

On holiday, (first day!), I managed to knock over the tripod + camera, (turning round, my camera shoulder bag knocked into it), it landed with a dreadful crash, catching all the force "under the chin" with the OM Z 24mm mounted on it.
After clearing soil from the lens, (it landed on short cut lawn), I was delighted to find that the A7 was still taking pictures. However, on further investigation, I found that the mount was now only held firmly at the top, whilst the bottom edge was "free" and could be pushed into the body.

I fully expected that the images would be badly affected as the mount to sensor difference would be changing. However, on further examination I was delighted to find that the mount and sensor is obviously an integral unit and both were moving together equally! So no degradation of image! I imagine some inner casting that holds this unit was broken in the fall.

I then realised that the Fotodiox, Brass, "Signature"edition tough E Mount, (that was on my other A7), is larger than the native mount (also larger than the "normal" Fotodiox Tough E mount, and the Shoten mount that was on the damaged camera), with an outer "lip", that goes over the outer ring of the A7 mount that is part of the A7 body casting, pulling the loose mount back into position, so it cannot be pushed back again. Swapping over mounts, the Signature edition, does indeed hold the mount firmly in place again, without the slightest movement.

Here's the native Sony mount. The silver/grey ring being the loose part along the base.
A7 Native by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

Removing the mount, you can see that the outer(red) ring is a part of the camera body.
A7 Mount pillar by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

With the Fotodiox Pro Signature Edition mount in position, it covers the outer red ring and pulls the loose mount back into position and holds it firmly in place.
Signature Tough E by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

Not sure if there's any point sending in the broken body for repair now, as it seems to be holding as well as before the accident.

I've now ordered another Signature Edition mount from Fotodiox, to replace the Shoten mount on my second A7, which I will now sell on ebay. It still works perfectly, but without that extra rigidity that I've realised the Signature Edition provides.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A7 Loose mount: has anyone been able to fix one?

Nice work. I have the Shotun (which I am very happy with), but it is good to know the Fotodiox Signature Edition provide some extra rigidity. Not that I noticed I need it, even with my heavy lenses.

Jun 19, 2016 at 02:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.