FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Surface Pro 4

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Surface Pro 4

Herb wrote:
perhaps their specification pages are incorrect?

yeah somethings not right about that listing . nowhere else can I find a SP4 listed with a nvidia GPU

if you go to the MS store and spec an SP4 with i7 16g 1TB its $2699 . then add the keyboard cover and the dock (which they have an offer on) and its $2928.98. the wireless display adapter is about 50 bucks .
so thats nowhere near the $3559 they say their discounting from . (you can pick up an SD card for pennies )

now even doing the same spec for the Surface book its $3199 . then add the $99 for the Dock and $50 for the wireless display adapter and your at $3350

Herb now you've ordered it I think you would be well within your rights in sending it back as incorrectly listed .
maybe you could argue some discount to be refunded back to you .

I mean if it was a camera I think we'd be suspecting the seller was doing some form of bait and switch

Apr 05, 2016 at 01:47 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Surface Pro 4

Why would you want to buy a SP4 with a large 1TB SSD? There's always the microSDXC slot where you can plug some cheap memory card if you need lots of storage. I use the built-in SSD only to hold my applications plus the data that I'll work on and move to external storage via the USB port or by swapping cards afterwards. Much cheaper approach.

-Phil

Apr 05, 2016 at 01:05 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Surface Pro 4

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
yeah somethings not right about that listing . nowhere else can I find a SP4 listed with a nvidia GPU

if you go to the MS store and spec an SP4 with i7 16g 1TB its $2699 . then add the keyboard cover and the dock (which they have an offer on) and its $2928.98. the wireless display adapter is about 50 bucks .
so thats nowhere near the $3559 they say their discounting from . (you can pick up an SD card for pennies )

now even doing the same spec for the Surface book its $3199 . then
...Show moreI will have to see what come of it........stay tuned...I will advise

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:28 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Surface Pro 4

PhilPDX wrote:
Why would you want to buy a SP4 with a large 1TB SSD? There's always the microSDXC slot where you can plug some cheap memory card if you need lots of storage. I use the built-in SSD only to hold my applications plus the data that I'll work on and move to external storage via the USB port or by swapping cards afterwards. Much cheaper approach.

-Phil

I always get maximum memory as I can never seem to have enough....while I appreciate your approach, mine has always been when it comes to tablets or laptops has been to get the most processor, memory and storage I can afford. I can afford this so I got what I wanted.

Your approach is something I had considered. But since I could afford the configuration that I purchased I didnt think twice about it.

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:35 PM
cipsaz
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Surface Pro 4

Holy cow, people are paying $3k for the Surface Pro? That is approaching a Mac Pro price. Would not do that imo. So much for portability and when the battery dies, there will be a small desktop on the desk.

Apr 05, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Surface Pro 4

cipsaz wrote:
Holy cow, people are paying $3k for the Surface Pro? That is approaching a Mac Pro price. Would not do that imo. So much for portability and when the battery dies, there will be a small desktop on the desk.

nah, wont be on my desk.....I will have the new Surface Pro 9

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:33 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Surface Pro 4

Herb wrote:
perhaps their specification pages are incorrect?

Yes
Some surface Book Keyboard had a second Nvidia GPU in the Display section there is an Intel Processor with Intel HD GPU graphics onboard.

Yes the surface Book is expensive and a Mac Book has better Processors more cores not HD Graphics

You need to make trade off designing mobile devices conserve battery Power The Processor in the mac book will give you more power and consume more power The mac book does not have a pen or touch screen. The keyboard does not detach so the placement of any GPU does not matter detaching the GPU is not a posibility.. Mobile devices have premium prices you get less for you money. Apple places a premium on their logo

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:56 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Surface Pro 4

cipsaz wrote:

Apple are worse than MS when it comes to pricing in Australia - what you'd buy for US$3900 (bottom end cpu and graphics, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) we'd have to pay A$6300. They must ship them first class in individual cabins.

Another problem is that like the Surface Pro, the cheaper Mac Pros are often worse value for money than the more expensive models. If you didn't need the extra features then you'd probably look at getting a very different product.

Apr 06, 2016 at 09:18 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Surface Pro 4

cipsaz wrote:

Its a unique tool. Expensive, but for those that need it or want it and can pay for it, well...it worth's it.

Same goes for the Mac Pro...the performance you get out of it at $3K, someone could argue you can get from a homebuilt Windows PC or even hackintosh for half the price. 1/3 even, much like the SP4 has raw performance that any $1K i7 laptop will probably surpass.

None of the two were meant to be a "Value" proposition.

Apr 06, 2016 at 10:27 AM
graycat
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Surface Pro 4

I have a SP3 i7 with Windows 10. I purchased it for a unique business need that I had at the time and it worked well for that purpose. I also loaded LR on it. LR runs fine with no issues except the heat as previously mentioned.

I usually process of batches of RAW files then output them in groups of 70 to 100 or so. While the images are processing I usually take a break and play solitaire. One time doing this the SP3 got so hot it shut down. The way I solved this was buying a small USB fan from Amazon and point to to the back of the SP. It works great. The machine runs very cool now and the fan is small enough it fits in the SP case. The only time I need the fan is with LR.

However, the SP also issues with it not recognizing the keyboard from time to time which is major PITA. When this happens I have to shut the machine down and restart it by holding the up volume key and the power switch together to restart the machine which apparently re-loads the drivers. PITA.

Other than the driver issue the SP is really works well. The heat issue with LR has occurred on every laptop that I have had and the SP is no different.

Apr 15, 2016 at 01:52 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Surface Pro 4

graycat wrote:
However, the SP also issues with it not recognizing the keyboard from time to time which is major PITA. When this happens I have to shut the machine down and restart it by holding the up volume key and the power switch together to restart the machine which apparently re-loads the drivers. PITA.

That sounds more like Windows is locking up on you. What version of windows are you using on your SP3. If windows is still running you should be able to shut it down with touch or power button. It sounds like your sp3 is locking up badly. I had Problems like that with my surface pro 3. They were caused by a combination of Window 10 Preview Builds and firmware update. When Microsoft updated the Firmware to support the SP4 pen the firmware update messed up te SP3 badly It would not shut down properly or restart properly and needed to be forced to boot up.

It sound like your system is not shutting down properly and you need to force it to boot.

Apr 15, 2016 at 03:44 PM
graycat
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Surface Pro 4

I don't know. I probably need to do a fresh install of Windows.

Apr 19, 2016 at 03:44 PM
graycat
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Surface Pro 4

I don't know. I probably need to do a fresh install of Windows.

Apr 19, 2016 at 03:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.