New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Surface Pro 4

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Surface Pro 4

Looking for feedback from those that have Surface Pro 4. I currently have an ipad pro and I am not really happy with the the implementation of Lightroom and the associated cloud. I was on an airplane and the guy across the isle from me had SP3 with LR on it and he also has the cloud. The implementation was just like my desktop.

So i am interested in SP4, but have read a number of instances where there were software issues with Windows.

So I am wondering about peoples experiences with the unit and the software and has it been squared away.

Mar 10, 2016 at 07:49 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Surface Pro 4

My SP3 gets uncomfortably warm when running Lr, and runs low on battery life pretty fast too. I expect that the SP4 will do better but this gives you something specific to ask about.

Apart from the small screen size it is very much like using a bigger computer but sometimes I want the optional keyboard and sometimes I don't. Ditto for the pen. If I'm using the tablet mode then I sometimes disable touch so that only the pen works. That prevents a lot of glitches caused by having my hand on the screen while I'm writing but occasionally it prevents me doing something and then I have to use the soft keyboard. Sometimes I want to shift-click or control-click with the pen but the pen does not have that option, so then I have to unfold the keyboard to get at the Shift button. The soft keyboard doesn't work so well when the touch has been turned off. You'll get a feel for all of this when you get stuck into it. Nothing that I have mentioned would stop me wanting the SP; they're just occasional annoyances that might even be not so bad on the SP4.

Also, to minimise SSD usage I use smart previews for any images that I take with me from home. That leaves more space on the SSD for new images while I'm traveling. Get the biggest SSD you can afford because using external storage can be a nuisance. I had a Lexar 128GB USB 3 module that went into read-only mode for no identifiable reason and that would have been extra bad if I was depending on it while traveling. Apparently it's not all that uncommon but it was a first for me.

- Alan

Mar 11, 2016 at 06:38 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Surface Pro 4

I bought a Surface Pro 4 recently (i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Win10) and so far haven't had any real issues. The touchscreen stopped responding once, but since a firmware and several OS updates, it hasn't happened again. No problems at all with overheating, constantly running fan, dropping WiFi connection or the like, so I'm a happy camper. The Surface is a great piece of equipment (albeit expensive) which runs the Office Suite, Lightroom and Photoshop without any hickups. Recommended.

-Phil

Mar 11, 2016 at 08:30 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Surface Pro 4

Lr on the iPad Pro is ridiculous; Surface 4 is far better. Surfaces are real computers, though unfortunately they run Windows, which I like far less than MacOS. That said, iPad has better battery life (unless you're talking about the Surface Book), and Apple Pencil is far better than the Surface Pen.

Since you already have the iPad Pro, have you considered connecting it to a MacBook Pro AstroPad? This solution gives you Cintiq-like functionality for a MacOS device, which I prefer. But it is also two devices, which I don't prefer.

I have a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 as well, but find that it has far more software and hardware glitches than my Macs and iPad, and also has terrible battery life compared to a MacBook Pro. If that thing ran MacOS and had better battery life, it would pretty much be perfect for me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 03:22 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Surface Pro 4

I can imagine Steve Jobs telling someone where to stick their Apple Pencil
He was dead set against the concept.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Surface Pro 4

Alan321 wrote:
I can imagine Steve Jobs telling someone where to stick their Apple Pencil
He was dead set against the concept.

Steve's vision on these issues would have evolved I think. I expect he'd love Apple pencil for what it is, but would be dead against something like pencil as a necessity for using an iPhone. It's hard to argue that he was wrong about the stylus in the early days of iOS device development. The company's focus on stylus-free interfacing with iPhone was essential to its success. But the appeal of the consumer tablet has diminished since the 2010 iPad, while the productivity tablet is on the rise (thanks to MS's Surface products). As such, the iPad Pro and pencil denote that the iPad is finally growing up from a consumption toy to a content creation tool.

Mar 30, 2016 at 05:44 PM
cipsaz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Surface Pro 4

Another vote for SP4. I have the i5/256gb/8gb model and it's smooth. I don't have any issues with the lightroom. Runs pretty fast.

Mar 30, 2016 at 06:18 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Surface Pro 4

I am sold on the SP4 with 16gb RAM and 1TB SSD.....just need to get comfortable with spending the money while I am also buying a new 1DxII.......that is a bunch of cash......

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Surface Pro 4

I am sold on the SP4 with 16gb RAM and 1TB SSD.....just need to get comfortable with spending the money while I am also buying a new 1DxII.......that is a bunch of cash......

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:04 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Surface Pro 4

Don't forget that the SP4 pen and keyboard/cover and docking station are all expensive optional accessories that are almost certainly must-haves.

Don't leave the wi-fi or bluetooth running unnecessarily or the battery will go flat a lot sooner than you might expect. You tend to forget about that when using a desktop computer.

Before you get around to buying it you might want to figure out how to manage emails/notes/tasks on two computers at once (SP4 and desktop), and how to manage the Windows scaling of dpi and various windows elements for best overall effect with your software on the high-ppi SP4 screen.

Have fun.

- Alan

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Surface Pro 4

Alan makes a couple of valid points .
I think the pen is included in the higher end SP4's but the Type cover isn't so add another 150 bucks (ish) for a keyboard that while is better than previous still isn't great .

also can you order a 1tb SSD in the surface 4 ? from the microsoft site it looks like its 512 max (maybe thats just here in the UK )

EDIT :

OK yeah I see now that the US site can configure the SP4 to your spec which can't be done here in the UK .

that said the SP4 i7 16gig 1TB is a $2700 !!! and they still don't give you the keyboard which is $130 . HOLY CR@P !! .

Had you considered the surface Book ? slightly more expensive (at your spec) but you would get a much better keyboard that gives you a machine thats a lot more 'lapable' with a dedicated GPU in it .

Apr 01, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Surface Pro 4

I ordered today the SP4 with nvidia GeForce graphics....got a pretty good deal from what I can find on the internet through Newegg. Got the upgraded graphics, i7, 1 TB, 16 GB ram, docking station, keyboard cover, 32 GB micro SD card, wireless display bundle, two day shipping for $3052, saving about 15% off normal prices.....I thought long and hard about spending this much money on a tablet, but decided I only live once and since I am retired (60 years old now, retired when I was 59) just go for it....I worked 35 years at the same company (2 years at another company prior to that) in an engineering related capacity...that was long enough...now to enjoy the fruits of my labor.....

Apr 03, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Surface Pro 4

ok i didn't know you could get nvidia geforce gfx in the SP4. i thought the GFX upgrade was the part of the selling point of the Surface Book .

Certainly isn't in the configure page of the microsoft store

Apr 04, 2016 at 01:34 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Surface Pro 4

Herb, it's very hard to beat "I just want one" as a sound justification for buying more goodies

When you've played with - I mean, used - that SP4 for a while please let us know how well it worked out for you.

I doubt that I'll ever buy another Surface Pro because they're just too expensive here in Oz - about $3500 with type cover but no options for separate graphics card, 1TB SSD or 32GB RAM. Obviously MS are afraid of what the price tag would be for a top end model down under. The same money would buy a very high-end gaming laptop with much more processing power and only a (very big) tad bigger, or it'll buy a pretty good tower PC. Now that I already have an SP3 even "I just want one" doesn't cut it for justifying an upgrade to SP4.

- Alan

Apr 04, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Surface Pro 4

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
ok i didn't know you could get nvidia geforce gfx in the SP4. i thought the GFX upgrade was the part of the selling point of the Surface Book .

Certainly isn't in the configure page of the microsoft store

There are Problems sometime using Photoshop on machines with two different GPU. Adobe has the user disable one. In the case of the surface book that would mean disabling the Nivida GPU since its in the keyboard and not available when the keyboard is not attached to the tablet section.

http://www.cnet.com/news/gaming-on-the-surface-book-what-you-need-to-know/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-book/392233-surface-book-photoshop-uncheck-check-use-graphics-processor.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3qhjvc/surface_book_and_adobe_cc_there_is_a_total_lack/

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/3/12/tweak-nvidia-surface-book-photoshop

http://windowsreport.com/lags-photoshop-illustrator-surface-book/

Photoshop Runs better using the HD Graphics than the Nvidia GPU

Apr 04, 2016 at 01:56 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Surface Pro 4

Herb wrote:
I ordered today the SP4 with nvidia GeForce graphics..

The Surface Book has an option for a Nvidia Geforce in some model Keyboards. There are Problems use that Nvidia adaptor with Photoshop.

Apr 04, 2016 at 02:48 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Surface Pro 4

Thats all fine Mr Mouse but the OP was talking about the Surface PRO 4 . thats where I'm confused . is it possible to get an SP4 with the Geforce GPU?

Apr 04, 2016 at 06:08 PM
Henry Lydecker
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Surface Pro 4

The Surface book can have a geforce GPU, the Surface Pro 4 can't from looking at the Microsoft store. The model naming might be confusing people. I own and use a surface pro 3 for work and for travel editing. Lightroom works great, and so does photoshop for simple retouching. I love the screen, it really looks wonderful. Battery life could be a problem, but thankfully the better airlines have options for charging your stuff now. I have come to realize I mostly use laptops some where that has power, so it isn't too big of an issue for me.

Apr 04, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Surface Pro 4

SP4 w/nvidia GeForce

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V63KC4505&cm_re=surface_pro_4-_-9SIA6V63KC4505-_-Product

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:20 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Surface Pro 4

Herb wrote:
SP4 w/nvidia GeForce

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V63KC4505&cm_re=surface_pro_4-_-9SIA6V63KC4505-_-Product

perhaps their specification pages are incorrect?

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.