Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       end

Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

GabrielPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Nima,
The MC-11 is fast and accurate with the 200/1.8. Lovely set-up (heavy too
I'm sure Metabones will be just as good.

I am more than happy to test it for him if he loans it to me for a week

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:36 AM
Nima M
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Thanks for the input, Gabriel, and Fred! Gabriel, if you're in Edmonton feel free to PM me and I'll let you test it to your heart's content!

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:29 AM
dannyer

p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Updates.
I just bought MB mark 5 with FW0.57. Tested with my lenses and result as below.

Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART.
Does not perform well. Always hunting. 7/10 chance of hunting. Wonder if this lens able work well with MC-11? How fast is the focusing speed? Did email to Metabones support team. No feedback yet.

Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART.
Performed well. Immediate focusing speed.

Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 ART.
Perform well. Immediate focusing speed.

( All lens tested in green mode for still image.)

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Micha El

p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

I had the same dilemma in choosing which lenses to adapt, so I tested the MC-11 and Metabones V, both with the latest firmware, at a store recently with the following lenses:

Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85mm f/1.2L II, Sigma ART 50mm f/1.4, Sigma ART 85mm f/1.4

I also tested Sony's native 55mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8, for comparison versus the adapted glass.

The Metabones V performed better on all lenses except for the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, where the MC-11 was more consistent in locking on to focus. The Sigma 85mm ART was definitely faster to focus on my A7II with the Metabones than the MC-11, not by much, but it was faster and confirmed by the store rep too (who presently only sells the MC-11). Perhaps you may have different results with a different camera model, but for me the Metabones V was an easy choice to make.

After my test, I purchased a used Canon 200mm f/2.8L II to try out and it works extremely well on the Metabones V and also does Eye-AF okay too.

Edited on Sep 09, 2017 at 05:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:20 PM
dannyer

p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Thank you Micha El for your feedback.

This mean there is no issue with your camera A7II with 85mm 1.4 art.

Until now metabones support team has no feedback yet. So I cant not do anything since there is a latest firmware updated in my MB5. Hopefully the next firmware able to solve this issue.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:36 PM
Micha El

p.25 #6 · p.25 #6 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

My experience with the Metabones V and Sigma ART 85mm 1.4 has been exceptional. In some ways, it performs better than the native FE 85mm 1.8. Even in "Advanced" mode it was focusing more consistently than the FE 85mm while using in less well lit scenarios. Though I will say I wasn't overly impressed with either of the adapters on the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Perhaps my opinion would be different if I had the A7RII and not my lowly A7II.

I am a little surprised that there aren't more direct comparisons between the two adapters using the most popular and highly regarded Canon mount glass. I'm blown away how well my Sigma 85mm ART and Canon 200MM II are working with the Metabones V. I'm now considering getting rid of my Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 and going to Canon's 35mm f/1.4L II, and possibly swapping out the Sigma 85mm ART for the upcoming Canon 85mm f/1.4L IS.

Another benefit I saw in the Metabones adapter was the tripod mount that can be removed as needed. The Sigma 85mm ART is an absolute beast, and I haven't seen a working tripod collar/mount for it, so I'm no longer concerned about straining the mount on my camera body (if I were to have opted for the MC-11).

dannyer, which mode are you using your Sigma 85mm ART in on the Metabones? I've had good results with both Advanced and Green modes, depending on the circumstances. For general shooting I prefer Green mode with AF-C and Small to Medium Flexible focus area. Perhaps you could re-try downloading the latest firmware to see if that helps at all? Just my suggestion, from someone with very little experience using adapted Canon mount glass on their Metabones V.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password