Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              32       33       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

TakenWild wrote:
Does anyone know if this adapter will atleast control aperture on the Canon TSE lenses? I have sigma lenses, so I will get this, but if it also works with my Canon TSEs it will be interesting looking its QC over the Metabones as well.

It's not made for canon branded lenses it's made for Sigma lenses in SA and EF mount. It's for Sigma lenses at least until someone uses a canon branded lens and it works. We won't know that until it's out in the field. I doubt it very highly. Zero reason for Sigma to support Canon branded lenses if anything they want to lock them out. The whole idea here is for Sigma lens sales. Second reason is Sigma does not want to build FE mount lenses as that is very costly for the R&D and all new production. So they want to sell the same lenses used for DSLR which they been making for years but throw in a after to pick up more lens sales to Sony users.

Mar 12, 2016 at 09:57 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

GMPhotography wrote:
I bought the Sigma 24-35 F2 for the zoom end over the GM 24-70 at least for now but it was a savings of 1200 with the adapter. I also got a sigma 35 1.4 art as well. Total price was about 1700 for both lenses and adapter. If the 24-70 turns out to be something very special than I may switch but that lens is not out and I need to work today. So I'll buy time until even the 24-70 drops in price. 2200 for a secondary lens for me is tough to spend. If it gets down
...Show more

I haven't really looked at the 24-35 f/2 much until recently when I saw you were thinking this way. I have the Batis 25 and I love it and also have the Loxia 35/2 so I've been really only focused on getting a zoom with a wider range for when I need flexibility and can't really change lenses. Once I compared the size and weight of the Sigma 24-105 to Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM and that Sigma announced the MC-11 I really started to think about the flexibility it could provide. I just need to evaluate its IQ. It has to be much better than my old Canon EF 24-105 for it to fit the mission. If not I will have to rethink and look at the GM. I can afford to wait for it since I can adapt the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II until then, Also I did do a pre-order so I'm expecting to get that about a month before I would see the MC-11. I could use the Sigma's with my Metabones adapter today but I don't know how well they perform. Have you been doing this with the 35/1.4 ART already? Do you already own the 25-35mm as well. How well does it adapt now?

Mar 13, 2016 at 06:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

I have the 35 1.4 right now and the 24-35 comes Wednesday so I'll be testing them both later this week on the Metabones. I pre ordered the Sigma adapter, maybe March 23 that will start to ship

Mar 13, 2016 at 06:55 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Just ordered the USB dock for canon. Ill update my lenses and software than see when we get these Sigma adapters. Folks anyone hearing anything on shipping please update us. Im anxious to get mine as i committed to two lenses. Living on the edge here.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM
sorney1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Bubble wrote:
@AGeoJO: there is adapter for Nikon to Sony E already. Commlite CM-ENF-E(1).

do any of these nikon to sony E converters work auto focus, etc.? reading the blurbs doesn't seem to indicate that they will.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

just got my reply from Sigma on potential for Nikon/E mount MC-11.
We looked at the Nikon F lens mount and due to its extremely antiquated design and the fact that lenses no longer have manual f/stop selector rings the chances of a successful result were minimal, I don’t think it will be happening. The MC-11 adaptor functions with all of Sigma’s “Global Vision” lenses which do have convertible lens mounts, you could convert the lenses to the Canon EF lens mount and use them on the Sony E mount cameras should you decide to abandon the Nikon.

I don't understand the conversion to canon EF mount as I could just buy the 18-250/300 in a sigma SA mount and SA/E MC-11 converter
Sincerely,

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:31 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

sorney1 wrote:
We looked at the Nikon F lens mount and due to its extremely antiquated design and the fact that lenses no longer have manual f/stop selector rings the chances of a successful result were minimal, I don’t think it will be happening. The MC-11 adaptor functions with all of Sigma’s “Global Vision” lenses which do have convertible lens mounts, you could convert the lenses to the Canon EF lens mount and use them on the Sony E mount cameras should you decide to abandon the
...Show more

Ouch, that's straight between the eyes!

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

sorney1 wrote:
do any of these nikon to sony E converters work auto focus, etc.? reading the blurbs doesn't seem to indicate that they will.

Yes. AF work but not many lens support now. Kinda like when metabones just came out.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:51 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

I placed a pre-order for the MC-11, but I mainly want it for Canon lenses. I emailed Sigma asking about compatibility and I'll cancel my order if it's negative. I'm not confident after watching the video describing it's use.

Mar 14, 2016 at 01:13 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

sorney1 wrote:
We looked at the Nikon F lens mount and due to its extremely antiquated design and the fact that lenses no longer have manual f/stop selector rings the chances of a successful result were minimal, I don’t think it will be happening. The MC-11 adaptor functions with all of Sigma’s “Global Vision” lenses which do have convertible lens mounts, you could convert the lenses to the Canon EF lens mount and use them on the Sony E mount cameras should you decide to abandon the
...Show more

I wonder why Metabones hasn't made an AF adapter for Nikon lenses. Could this be some of the reason?

Mar 14, 2016 at 01:40 PM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Just heard back from Sigma asking about the sigma 18-250 + MC 11 adapter and since that lens is not a Global Vision one it won't work tried to find out which sigma lenses were global vision and ran into a dead end. I "assume" that those that indicate eligible for mount conversion are the GV ones?

Mar 14, 2016 at 02:52 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

sorney1 wrote:
Just heard back from Sigma asking about the sigma 18-250 + MC 11 adapter and since that lens is not a Global Vision one it won't work tried to find out which sigma lenses were global vision and ran into a dead end. I "assume" that those that indicate eligible for mount conversion are the GV ones?

Here is the link: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/. If you hover over "Lenses", the drop down menu showing the global vision lenses will appear.

Mar 14, 2016 at 03:05 PM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

thanks, I guess my choice then in Sigma is either the 18-200 or 18-300 lens. at least that clears things up.
now I need to check out the possibility of a Sony A mount lens with sony adapter.

Mar 14, 2016 at 03:20 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

mcbroomf wrote:
I placed a pre-order for the MC-11, but I mainly want it for Canon lenses. I emailed Sigma asking about compatibility and I'll cancel my order if it's negative. I'm not confident after watching the video describing it's use.

Seriously? It is design for sigma art lens only man. You didn't check the info on sigma? There is a list of 18 or 19 lenses (all sigma) that will work and benefit from it.

Mar 14, 2016 at 03:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

sorney1 wrote:
thanks, I guess my choice then in Sigma is either the 18-200 or 18-300 lens. at least that clears things up.
now I need to check out the possibility of a Sony A mount lens with sony adapter.

If you are confident that you will keep that lens for life, well, at least for a long time to come, then yes, it doesn't matter which mount you buy, Canon EF or Sigma SA. But personally, if there is a likelihood of your selling that lens in your lifetime, I would go for the Canon EF mount of that lens. The potential buyer may not use the lens on any of the Sony A7 series bodies but they may use it on their DSLR bodies. How many people you know own a Sigma and how many of them own a Canon body? I rest my case .

Mar 14, 2016 at 03:31 PM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

this is getting way to "messy". I'm back to a 18-200 or 24-240 Sony or a tamron 18-200.
I appreciate the comment on resale but it'll probably be underfoot for life.

Mar 14, 2016 at 05:23 PM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Bubble wrote:
Seriously? It is design for sigma art lens only man. You didn't check the info on sigma? There is a list of 18 or 19 lenses (all sigma) that will work and benefit from it.

they show a MC-11 for canon mounts but don't give a chart as to which ones will work.,

Mar 14, 2016 at 05:25 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Bubble wrote:

sorney1 wrote:
they show a MC-11 for canon mounts but don't give a chart as to which ones will work.,

Sure they did...

SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER | Universal Accessories | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION:
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/accessories/mount-converter/

Mar 14, 2016 at 05:44 PM
sorney1
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

SIGMA QUALITY MEETS SONY CAPABILITIES
Category: Accessories, Mount Converter
Adapt Sigma Canon Mount or Sigma mount to Sony FE system
Easy to use interface, updatable with USB Dock
Accessories Included: Front and Rear cap

Mar 14, 2016 at 06:23 PM
TBjork

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

I have waited that Sigma comes with E-mount for the Art line lenses. This way there should be given the possibility to change mount on Art lens to E-mount, instead to use a adapter... I have the Sigma 35 Art with Nikon Mount. But now with the release of MC-11 I guess E-mount to Art lenses is not going to happen... Hmmmm...

Mar 14, 2016 at 06:28 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.