Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              21       22       end

Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Let's set this up for as and when reports trickle in. 10/3/2016 they're in stock locally for 10,990 baht, or US $310.00.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Pre-production but it shows what it does...

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

It is a mount converter without any optics and the performance relies 100% on the lens itself. I tried it out at the Sigma booth and yes, basically, it converts any of those 18 Sigma lenses to a native lens. It works also for "older" Sony bodies, like A7, A7r and A6000, even NEX bodies. While I like the idea but those Sigma lenses are fairly big and heavy, even without the converter. On the flip side, the prices are definitely more attractive than the Sony counterparts and there are lenses out there that are absent in the Sony lens lineup as of now.

Too bad that it works only with those Sigma lenses . If it would work with Canon EF lenses, it would be very well, even more so received by a lot of Canon lens owners, including myself. Frankly, I would imagine an independent lens manufacturer, like Sigma, would come up with something like this, well, they did but I seriously doubt that Canon would do the same although I am more than convinced that they could do the same technically but that would indicate a sign of "defeat".... .

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:28 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

AGeoJO wrote:
It works also for "older" Sony bodies, like A7, A7r and A6000, even NEX bodies. .

Does it work like native lenses as well in, say, an A7r?

Edited on Mar 10, 2016 at 05:55 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:55 PM
drjs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

AGeoJO wrote:
It works also for "older" Sony bodies, like A7, A7r and A6000, even NEX bodies. While I like the idea but those Sigma lenses are fairly big and heavy, even without the converter. .

I am just curious if there is a source you are quoting for this. I looked around but couldn't find definitive information that fast AF is supported by Sigma MC-11 on older A7. As we know, SONY hasn't been kind enough to update A7 on this front.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:55 PM
drjs
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Javier Munoz wrote:

Since the original A7R is contrast based AF only, not sure how MC-11 can support it.... Maybe it means MC-11 can support it in contrast AF mode only??

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:56 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

drjs wrote:
Since the original A7R is contrast based AF only, not sure how MC-11 can support it.... Maybe it means MC-11 can support it in contrast AF mode only??

I mean if it does CDAF as any other sony lens would do in those bodies. I am not asking if it does magic and makes the A7R have PDAF or if it makes a canon mount lens behave in an A7R the same than in a Canon camera .
PS I just saw your edited post.

Mar 10, 2016 at 05:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

drjs wrote:
I am just curious if there is a source you are quoting for this. I looked around but couldn't find definitive information that fast AF is supported by Sigma MC-11 on older A7. As we know, SONY hasn't been kind enough to update A7 on this front.

Thanks!

The Sigma people told me that but I couldn't verify what they said. It should work as well as any other FE lens on an older Sony body. Too bad, there was not a single older Sony body on the floor. Of course, the AF on the "old" body won't be as good as that on the A7r II.

Mar 10, 2016 at 06:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Javier Munoz wrote:

Yes, but again, that's according to two Sigma employees that I talked to at their booth. I asked that particular question and not that it came up during the conversation. I couldn't verify that nor could they since there was not a single older A7 series body on the floor but that sounds plausible. The more it is adaptable the more converters and the more lenses Sigma will sell. I noticed that FF Sigma lenses in Canon mount are fewer offered for sale now than let's say, Nikon mount on the B&S board .

Mar 10, 2016 at 06:18 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

AGeoJO wrote:
Yes, but again, that's according to two Sigma employees that I talked to at their booth. I asked that particular question and not that it came up during the conversation. I couldn't verify that nor could they since there was not a single older A7 series body on the floor but that sounds plausible. The more it is adaptable the more converters and the more lenses Sigma will sell. I noticed that FF Sigma lenses in Canon mount are fewer offered for sale now than let's say, Nikon mount on the B&S board .

Thanks for the info.
Regarding the Sigma EF lack of lenses I noticed that too.
I have Nikon versions and if everything works as it seems for the MC11, I would probably complete my jump to sony and have my ART nikons go through mount-change surgery. It is either that or keep waiting for a valid nikon-E-mount adapter.

Mar 10, 2016 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Duckysaysquack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Can someone explain what sorcery is being used in these adapters? I have an A7ii which I figure should work since it has PDAF with adapted lenses like the A7rii. But I also have an A7s which is contrast detect only. Hoping release date will come soon so people can test them out! If so, definitely looking at the 23-35 f2 and 20mm f1.4!

Mar 11, 2016 at 04:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Basically when mounted on one of the 18 Sigma lenses in Canon mount, the firmware of the adapter takes over that of the lens. The lens becomes virtually an FE lens and it can be used as if it was a native lens with any of the A7 series bodies, regardless whether it has (hybrid) PDAF and just CDAF. So far it looks like it works as specified. I tried it myself the other day on the A7r II and yes, the Eye AF is enabled, for example but I couldn't compare the actual performance or speed.

When the adapter is available, I am sure folks will test and compare the actual AF performance with a real native lens. Maybe there is a difference in AF speed in either direction but there is no way of saying that at this point. So, you can jump in right now by pre-ordering or just wait until the claim is proven before putting the charge on your card.

Mar 11, 2016 at 04:58 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Thank you gents for sharing the big news. Look like sigma know how to crack the "EF/A to E" protocol. With firmware upgradable, I can only see thing getting better in the long run. My wish is sigma makes the canon option available for native EF lenses users.

Mar 11, 2016 at 06:14 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

now sigma only need to update their 300mm f/2.8, and 800mm f/5.6 to ART level. Pair up with Sony camera....heaven.

Mar 11, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

mttran wrote:
My wish is sigma makes the canon option available for native EF lenses users.

The motivation being....

Mar 11, 2016 at 09:21 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Now that Sigma has shown *how* to convert lens protocols such that the lenses are presented to Sony cameras as 'native', I wonder if Metabones will be able to duplicate this functionality (and if it will ever reach Nikon-mount lenses...).

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

johnctharp wrote:
Now that Sigma has shown *how* to convert lens protocols such that the lenses are presented to Sony cameras as 'native', I wonder if Metabones will be able to duplicate this functionality (and if it will ever reach Nikon-mount lenses...).

I venture to say that Metabones is working on it as we speak. And, I am sure Sony is in the process of upgrading their LA-EAs adapters as well. The current LA-EA3 doesn't take full advantage of the A7r II's AF capability and the AF module of the LA-EA4 is dated a few years back.

Unlike Canon EF lenses, Nikon lenses are not 100% electronic. So, the development of a fully functioning mount converter may take a while longer.

Edited on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

@AGeoJO: there is adapter for Nikon to Sony E already. Commlite CM-ENF-E(1).

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

AGeoJO wrote:
Unlike Canon EF lenses, Nikon lenses are not 100% electronic. So, the development of a fully functioning adapter may take a while longer.

We've seen stories posted about companies developing adapters that can actuate the aperture tab on 'G' and older lenses, and the newer 'E' lenses with electromagnetic diaphragms (welcome to the 21st century Nikon!) should be fairly straightforward. So soon, maybe? Maybe Metabones will partner up/otherwise acquire this functionality for Nikon folks. Hell, maybe they'll source/build an adapter with a lens motor!

Shoot, if they did that for non-AF-S Nikon lenses, maybe they could do that for Sony/Minolta motorless lenses too .

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Again, I am referring to mount converters similar to that of Sigma MC-11 that can convert lenses as if they were native FE lenses and NOT adapters. I better change the terminology I used in the previous post .

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password