Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bowens mount not working with Bowens mount?

KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bowens mount not working with Bowens mount?

I have a Rovelight 600 in the Bowens mount. I also recently picked up a bundle of photo equipment. In that bundle were a few sets of Bowens Traveller lights w/ packs, 3 Impact LiteTrek 400 monolights (with Bowens adapters), and a number of Bowens modifiers - beauty dish, softboxes (with speedrings), fresnel, universal spot, snoot, etc.

When trying to use either the Rovelight or the Lite Treks (w/ Bowens adapters) with several of the Bowens modifiers, I realized they absolutely do not attach correctly. (At all really...)

It turns out that several of these have the "lugs" made out of plastic and attached to a piece of metal (rather than formed out of the metal itself). Underneath the square "lug" is a round "rivet" that sticks out from the surface. (See the pics posted below.)

On the Bowens lights, the modifiers only basically go in as deep as the metal lug, so that round part doesn't go into the light at all, and therefore the modifier is able to twist in and lock in.

On the Rovelight and the Bowens adapter for the Litetrek, the modifier goes further in, so the round rivet prevents the modifier from twisting to lock into the light.

I have a few modifiers that just have the square lugs (formed out of the metal), so there is nothing to impede them from turning and locking into the Rovelight or the other lights.

Any suggestions on a workaround? Are there actually different versions of the Bowens mount, or are they just not truly universally compatible? I'm going to look through the Rovelight thread again to see if anyone else had any similar issues with any modifiers.

TIA for any suggestions.

Mar 09, 2016 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.