New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Wife and Child

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wife and Child

Congratulations to jeremy_clay for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 3 votes - View Previous Winners

Inspired by Annie, crosspost feom social medi. My lovely wife and daughter. This shot also stems from a conversation I've had with a few people recently about modern photography; especially how it pertains to current trends in family and children. For whatever reason, over-edited eyes, ridiculous sets and props, and airbrushed skin (..newborn children, mind you..!) seems to be what everyone else is selling. To me, this seems to defeat the purpose of the shoot - when a parent reflects on such a shot 10 years down the line, they won't see the baby they remember, because the baby never looked, dressed, or was anything like that.

http://i.imgur.com/bAVGYx3.jpg

Mar 09, 2016 at 04:33 AM
Jonathan Brady
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wife and Child

AMEN!

I really like this shot :-)

Not sure if it's a light reflection or what, but the area of her dress where the straw is has a different color to it.

Mar 09, 2016 at 11:05 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wife and Child

Lense flare. Cheers!

Jonathan Brady wrote:
AMEN!

I really like this shot :-)

Not sure if it's a light reflection or what, but the area of her dress where the straw is has a different color to it.

Mar 09, 2016 at 01:17 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wife and Child

I can't wait for this lens flare trend to go away.

Mar 09, 2016 at 02:40 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wife and Child

In all honesty though, the photo is very nice. The lighting is very nice and provides some dimension. For some reason it bothers me slightly that they are center and the fence ends in the center right behind them. It creates an uneasy balance in the image.

Mar 09, 2016 at 02:45 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wife and Child

eSchwab wrote:
In all honesty though, the photo is very nice. The lighting is very nice and provides some dimension. For some reason it bothers me slightly that they are center and the fence ends in the center right behind them. It creates an uneasy balance in the image.

My whole parenting experience thus far is an uneasy balance, thus the fencepost. #kidding #idontknow #fencepostsunited

Mar 09, 2016 at 04:16 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wife and Child

Even my unedited photos of my kid don't show the kid I remember, it's amazing how fast they change.

Lovely shot overall and I'm fine with the tension of the composition. Maybe it was intentional, the way your wife's shirt opens on her right seems to suggest breast feeding. Or maybe it's just the angle and design of the clothes.

Mar 09, 2016 at 04:38 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wife and Child

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Maybe it was intentional, the way your wife's shirt opens on her right seems to suggest breast feeding. Or maybe it's just the angle and design of the clothes.

Now that was intentional, thank you. I debated actually opening up the dress more in post, but that this suggestion was picked up as is reassures me.

Mar 09, 2016 at 05:00 PM
Daniel Moore
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wife and Child

This image is hardly about lens flare. You have to look to find it.

The post positioning is brilliant. At her feet it broadens her stance and gives a sense of her strength. At the top it frames the child's face, offsetting it from the similarly toned background. I would call this inspired photography.

Mar 10, 2016 at 04:31 AM
photogwannabe

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wife and Child

Very nice! Much prefer this to the swaddled babies stuff in a basket or propped and positioned unnaturally all the while asleep.

Mar 10, 2016 at 06:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wife and Child

High praise. Much thanks.

Daniel Moore wrote:
This image is hardly about lens flare. You have to look to find it.

The post positioning is brilliant. At her feet it broadens her stance and gives a sense of her strength. At the top it frames the child's face, offsetting it from the similarly toned background. I would call this inspired photography.

Mar 10, 2016 at 06:20 PM
Bob67

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wife and Child

Very nice capture, Jeremy. Has a real "Little House on the Prairie" look to it. Mother and daughter are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 12, 2016 at 04:18 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wife and Child

Interesting, another one I heard was someone was reminded of the scene from 300 where the wife and child see the main protagonist off to war.

Bob67 wrote:
Very nice capture, Jeremy. Has a real "Little House on the Prairie" look to it. Mother and daughter are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 12, 2016 at 06:15 PM
sasho_p
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wife and Child

I like it. No need for the huge watermark in the sky though.

Mar 12, 2016 at 07:18 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wife and Child

I love your wife's pose and she is the center of this beautiful image. I have been having this issue with the 'gaze away' thing that seems so popular but here it really works to reveal your wife's beauty. Your child humorously undercuts that by exposing the lie that this is a natural, candid image. Very cute. I might like to see a version of this with just your wife since she seems to excel at posing and has a very strong quality to her. This is the sort of image that defies compositional analysis as there is just too much feeling. It can take the viewer away.

Mar 13, 2016 at 01:18 AM
njjuliano
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wife and Child

jeremy_clay wrote:
My whole parenting experience thus far is an uneasy balance, thus the fencepost. #kidding #idontknow #fencepostsunited

I absolutely would've believed the uneasy balance explanation as I was trying to figure out the purpose of the framing. Loled.

Its an honest portrait. From her determined gaze, the child's carefree demeanor and the father's proud presentation.

Mar 13, 2016 at 02:18 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wife and Child

This is a beautiful capture, I like the the expression of your wife and the PP.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo

Mar 14, 2016 at 02:49 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wife and Child

Your first few sentences take potshots at other photographers for arranging unrealistic sets or portraying situations that are not typical of real life. To that end, is your family standing stoically in the middle of a wheat field an accurate depiction of your day to day?

The photograph is beautiful as are your wife and child, I am just trying to understand a bit better the context. I also think the post position is just fine although I might be inclined to try cropping some of the right side of the image to help balance your family into the right half of the image, but that's just me.

Keep sharing,
Mark

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:25 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wife and Child

I put together more then a few paragraphs in response but realized someone as smart as yourself could not misunderstand this post so much at least without some intention to do so on purpose. *edit* We live just behind here, whether she looks this 'stoic' on their walks is open to assessment, I guess.

lowside67 wrote:
Your first few sentences take potshots at other photographers for arranging unrealistic sets or portraying situations that are not typical of real life. To that end, is your family standing stoically in the middle of a wheat field an accurate depiction of your day to day?

The photograph is beautiful as are your wife and child, I am just trying to understand a bit better the context. I also think the post position is just fine although I might be inclined to try cropping some of the right side of the image to help balance your family into the right half
...Show more

Mar 15, 2016 at 01:10 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wife and Child

May I ask how (if?) it was lit please? There seems to be a stronger light to the right (sun?) and a soft light to the left.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password