New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Maine beaches in WInter

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maine beaches in WInter

I was in Maine a few weeks ago visiting my family. My return flight was cancelled due to an ice storm on the eastern seaboard so I took the time to visit a couple of my favorite Maine beaches. I'm looking for comments on composition and processing mostly, but all comments are welcomed!

The first shot is of the beach access to Ferry Beach in Saco, Maine, and was the beach I frequented as I could walk there.

The second shot is at Biddeford Pool. This is where I went to watch the waves roll in during storms.

Diane

Mar 07, 2016 at 06:17 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maine beaches in WInter

Hi Diane!

IMO the first shot has must more potential for interest than the second. I don't doubt for a second that image two captures some very fond memories for you, but as a bystander it seems snapshotty to me. The scene overall is pretty anemic.

But the first has this great dreary mystery to it, with the pathway taking us right into the ether. I'd look to tighten the crop to remove any distractions in the peripheral. I also set black and white points in Levels and slightly tweaked the midtones. A little USM was applied to the foreground to add more separation as things fade off.

As always, just my coupla pennies.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mar 07, 2016 at 06:41 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maine beaches in WInter

Your tweaks do help the eye stay on the path. I struggled with the blacks and whites...couldn't decide how to play it out. I was attempting to help the viewer feel the fog and misty rain coming down. I can see where I left the image looking a bit too flat though.

What I was liking about the second shot was the tree and the tips of the waves mimicking it's tilt in the wind. When I shrunk the image to post it I was not so happy with it. The tree seems crunchy and the waves don't seem to have the movement to them that they do when the shot is large.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jeff. As always, feedback is always appreciated!

Mar 08, 2016 at 09:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maine beaches in WInter

That first is very moody and quite pleasant, I like Jeff's rework. I fully understand the effect of viewing an image at a small size.

Mar 08, 2016 at 11:21 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maine beaches in WInter

The first image is quite nice. Love the mood created by the softness of the fog. As others have said, it does feel a little flat but that is very subjective with a shot like this IMHO. I do like Jeff's crop suggestion in his edit. That far right object does pull the eyes over there.

I wonder what a little Orton effect would look like on this image. I would think it would/could make the fog/mist even stronger?

Nice job Diane and kudos for taking advantage of a bad situation and turning into something rewarding!

Dave

Mar 08, 2016 at 02:33 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maine beaches in WInter

Diane:

I think the second image would be stronger if you cropped off the bottom snow bank. That gets you closer to the "drama" in the scene which is considerable.

I used to have a friend who lived in Maine. He used to say there were 2 seasons: August and Winter.

Steve

Mar 08, 2016 at 10:43 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maine beaches in WInter

Glad you enjoyed the first image, Ben. I appreciate your commenting.

Dave, I was not familiar with the Orton effect so had to look it up. I will attempt to reprocess this and see what I can get using it! I've got to do a bit more reading first though. I utilized the oil paint effect very lightly applied already attempting to create a bit of a dreamy feel. It added a slight movement to the scene, but not much.

Cropping the bottom tighter does bring the wave action in a bit closer. I regret not crawling out on the rocks a bit further to get closer, but I was trying to stay off ice and not get blown over by the high winds at the time.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Diane

Mar 09, 2016 at 02:53 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maine beaches in WInter

Diane, I just joined the forum a few minutes ago, and as I'm originally from Maine, I had to take a peek! Love your shots, love the constructive feedback. Looks like a terrific forum!

Mar 09, 2016 at 05:09 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maine beaches in WInter

Linda Shorey wrote:
Diane, I just joined the forum a few minutes ago, and as I'm originally from Maine, I had to take a peek! Love your shots, love the constructive feedback. Looks like a terrific forum!

Welcome, Linda! Now it's time to start posting yourself.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 10, 2016 at 08:16 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maine beaches in WInter

Welcome Linda! Yes this is a very good place to come for solid constructive critique. I've learned a lot from reading the posts and posting myself from time to time. As Jeff suggests, it's time to post some of your images!

BTW, what part of Maine are you from? I'm a southern coastal girl who lived in the Biddeford/Saco area for much of my life. I'm now in the Twin Cities Metro in Minnesota.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maine beaches in WInter

DianeinCR wrote:
Welcome Linda! Yes this is a very good place to come for solid constructive critique. I've learned a lot from reading the posts and posting myself from time to time. As Jeff suggests, it's time to post some of your images!

BTW, what part of Maine are you from? I'm a southern coastal girl who lived in the Biddeford/Saco area for much of my life. I'm now in the Twin Cities Metro in Minnesota.

Thanks for both of your welcomes. I will post something within a few days; want to comment and view a bunch more first

Diane, I'm originally from Bangor area.

Mar 10, 2016 at 03:26 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Maine beaches in WInter

The cropping Steve did helped in adding impact to #2. You might also want to consider b&w which would allow you to work on the textures in the sky more and bring them out. Yes, there is texture there....

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:39 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Maine beaches in WInter

Thanks Steve, for the suggestion to try b&w. I hadn't considered that at all. I do also agree that the crop works much better to keep the eye focused.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.