New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lee adaptor

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee adaptor

My zeiss 77mm won't detach from the lee 77mm adaptor. Ended up cutting my self trying to get it off . Now I don't have filter for my otus 55mm. Anyone had this problem and was able to fix it?

Mar 07, 2016 at 05:53 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee adaptor

here is a fine example of when a filter wrench or thin strap wrench make a day.

Edited on Mar 07, 2016 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2016 at 07:11 PM
Mike_Lee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee adaptor

Have you tried putting it in the freezer then trying to undo? Alternatively could put it under hot water for a short while and trying. The temperature differential may cause enough expansion / contraction to allow you to separate the two parts.

Mar 07, 2016 at 10:22 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee adaptor

The zeiss filter is made in Japan.

sjms wrote:
here is a fine example of when a filter wrench or thin strap wrench make a day.

Mar 07, 2016 at 10:42 PM
redford01
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee adaptor

2 suggestions: Get a piece of thin rubber for gripping the Lee adapter (I cut out a piece from a rug hardwood floor gripper) which gives extra grip.

In terms of lens wrenches, I have found that these are the best out there-- larger than others but much more useful in term of gripping--Neewer rubber coated lens wrench.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Rubber-coated-Remover-Fujifilm-Panasonic/dp/B018I848Q2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1457460580&sr=8-5&keywords=neewer+lens+wrench

Mar 08, 2016 at 01:11 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee adaptor

Just ordered it! Thanks will update you if it works

redford01 wrote:
2 suggestions: Get a piece of thin rubber for gripping the Lee adapter (I cut out a piece from a rug hardwood floor gripper) which gives extra grip.

In terms of lens wrenches, I have found that these are the best out there-- larger than others but much more useful in term of gripping--Neewer rubber coated lens wrench.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Rubber-coated-Remover-Fujifilm-Panasonic/dp/B018I848Q2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1457460580&sr=8-5&keywords=neewer+lens+wrench

Mar 08, 2016 at 02:15 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee adaptor

You might want to use a lubricant but before you opt for using something like WD40, consider that that will damage the filter coating. If you are fine with that, try flushing some lubricant and wait patiently. If you are lucky there is some imperfection in the thread for the lubricant to penetrate and relieve some of the resistance.

Mar 08, 2016 at 04:37 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee adaptor

An elastic band has worked for me before.

Mar 09, 2016 at 11:12 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee adaptor

Alexluu627 wrote:
The zeiss filter is made in Japan.

Yes, and I'm very pleased with mine and it's T* coating.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:55 AM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee adaptor

Lee adapters are made out of very light and ductile aluminum so they're very susceptible to temperature extremes. I'd recommend trying to find some way of heating up the adapter. Try one of those electric coffee cup warmers. If that doesn't work at least you've got something to keep your coffee warm while you come up with some other brilliant strategy.

Lee adapters are notorious for getting locked on lenses when used in cold weather. I've since learned not to put mine on too tightly. Once I get my lens inside, the adapter will come off without much trouble, but I can't deny that the first time mine did this, it induced a little panic in me too.

Hey, at least it's not stuck on your Otus!

Mar 10, 2016 at 01:24 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lee adaptor

alright i tried the rubber remover and it didnt work lol!!! i guess its just permanently have a zeiss t filter on it for the rest of its life.

Mar 18, 2016 at 02:28 PM
kota
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lee adaptor

I would try the freezer tip Mike_Lee suggested...then use the filter wrench when you take it out of the freezer...contraction.

Mar 18, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lee adaptor

I am gonna leave it in the freezer for 3 hours and try it!

Mar 18, 2016 at 07:07 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lee adaptor

No luck

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lee adaptor

The last time I had a stuck filter setup like this...I used one of those plastic filter wrench sets
I placed one on the threads of the adapter...the other on the thin mount of the filter....it worked

Mar 21, 2016 at 08:48 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lee adaptor

I use thermal dynamics a fair amount in my line of work, and I can tell you putting the entire assembly in the freezer does not help, as there would be no temperature differential between the filter and holder, and therefore they would contract equally.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.