New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Patagonia Advice

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Patagonia Advice

Hello,
I am not sure if American Airlines go to Patagonia area but I have some large miles to burn.
If you can give me some advice on where to fly, when is the best time, which countries to fly to, etc I would very much appreciate it. I am most interested in landscapes.
Thanks,
Kee

Mar 06, 2016 at 10:15 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Patagonia Advice

Check this forum out for lots of info.

Mar 06, 2016 at 12:48 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Patagonia Advice

Dustin Gent wrote:
Check this forum out for lots of info.

Thanks Dustin for the link. I will check the information thoroughly.

Mar 07, 2016 at 11:25 AM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Patagonia Advice

I did this a few years ago. Their autumn begins in April so May through September is probably not the best time. In Argentina you can fly to El Calafate from Buenos Aires. From there you can rent a car and go to El Chalten (Mt. Fitz Roy and Glaciers) and Perito Moreno Glacier. El Calafate has a lot of lodging but you probably need to book ahead for El Cheltan. You can also fly to Ushaia and rent a car down there. From El Calafate you can drive to Chile Torres del Paine Park probably best to book hotel ahead of time. Puerto Natales in Chile is a good staging area I would skip Punta Arenas. You need a pricey visa if you fly into either Chile or Argentina but not if cross by ship or car so plan accordingly.

Mar 07, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Patagonia Advice

JohnC wrote:
I did this a few years ago. Their autumn begins in April so May through September is probably not the best time. In Argentina you can fly to El Calafate from Buenos Aires. From there you can rent a car and go to El Chalten (Mt. Fitz Roy and Glaciers) and Perito Moreno Glacier. El Calafate has a lot of lodging but you probably need to book ahead for El Cheltan. You can also fly to Ushaia and rent a car down there. From El Calafate you can drive to Chile Torres del Paine Park probably best to book hotel
...Show more

Hello John,

Now I am going somewhere in the planning. Would March or April be good? I am trying to book for next year's agenda. I love the fall season there in Patagonia. I have been pretty much going around for the winter scene for the past two years for photography work.

Now.. how long would you recommend for me to going around there? I am flexible in time.. Perhaps 2 weeks there?

Mar 07, 2016 at 02:05 PM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Patagonia Advice

We were there in late March, early April and the weather was perfect. Some snow on the mountaintops. I think two weeks would be plenty as we also spent some time in Santiago and Buenos Aires and on an expedition ship between Ushaia and Punta Arenas. Make sure you have a rental car lined up before because we did not do that and ended up on a bus tour because we had no car. Also if you are comfortable carrying cash Argentina was way cheaper if you told them you were paying in US dollars. But you have to bring it with you because the ATM rate is the lousy official rate.

Mar 07, 2016 at 03:23 PM
msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Patagonia Advice

tag for ref

Mar 07, 2016 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.