FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Nordic wildlife

the_norwegian

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nordic wildlife

Congratulations to the_norwegian for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 18 votes - View Previous Winners

Hello everyone, hope the new year has been treating you good so far! Some of my pictures from last summer/early fall to no man`s land, the border area between Finland and Russia, where these animals roam free and proud. Hope you like the pictures! All the shots are taken with a mix of Nikon D750&D4s, tamron 150-600, Sigma 120-300S, Nikon 600 f/4.

_RSB6387 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_RSB6330 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW3581 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW3563 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW3451 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW3429versjon3 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

The boys are back in town.. by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

Mirror mirror by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW3111 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

a lots of sparrowhawk-action also, i love sparrowhawk as you may know from my former postings ;-)
_ASW2719 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

_ASW2237 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

Just because it`s night, doesn`t mean we can`t take pictures, right?
_ASW1893 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

This picture is perhaps not very special amongst all wolf-pictures out there, but to me, it`s very special. This is my first frame of my first wild wolf, it appeared out of the woods just as the light couldn`t be better. I`m not sure if my heart was racing at this moment, or if i almost had no puls at all, but my god, the adrenalin-rush after this session.. Almost get goose-bumps just thinking about it. This is the oldest son of the alpha-couple.
_ASW0368 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

And this is the alpha-couple. A truly great evening and night, the icing on the cake was the whole pack of 6 surrounding the hide at around 200-300 meters, giving us 2 houling-concerts.. Under a full moon! Goose-bumps doesn`t start to describe it, it was more like the hairs on my arms and neck started popping out by themselves.
_ASW0983 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

A determined bear is nothing to mess with, unless you have the strengt of the pack on your side, and right here, he didn`t..

_ASW1030 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

That`s it for now, hope you enjoyed the pictures!

Mar 06, 2016 at 01:17 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nordic wildlife

These are all just marvelous, Asgeir! The feel of the wilderness really comes through in these images. The top of the set, 1 through 6, are each beautiful, and 12 is as haunting a wildlife image as I can recall seeing. The wild wolves are an extra special bonus. Fantastic work and look forward to seeing more!

Mar 06, 2016 at 01:35 PM
kdacharya
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nordic wildlife

I could not agree more with Mitesh. Loved the light, so smooth in the higher latitudes.
thanks for sharing.

Mar 06, 2016 at 01:47 PM
skseet
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nordic wildlife

Wonderful images. Loved them all.

Mar 06, 2016 at 01:50 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nordic wildlife

This is a special set of photos Asgeir! Always a thrill to see European wildlife. The animals look like they are in great condition.
Douglas

Mar 06, 2016 at 03:09 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nordic wildlife

An outstanding set Asgeir. It's very seldom that I think "WOW!" when I see a photo because I have seen so many photos over the years. 1 and 3 made me think "WOW!" ~ Ron

Mar 06, 2016 at 03:12 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nordic wildlife

Beautiful series Asgeir.

Morris

Mar 06, 2016 at 04:34 PM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nordic wildlife

Excellent work. Some great images of both the bears and the wolves, but the first image is truly spectacular.

Mar 06, 2016 at 04:40 PM
Dieps
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nordic wildlife

Fantastic. I really like the lighting off the fur of the bears and the sparrow hawk.

Mar 06, 2016 at 04:57 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nordic wildlife

Those bears are extremely well fed! They look huge. Excellent images, with gleaming guard hairs, good poses, and interesting environment. And excellent light. The whole set provided very enjoyable viewing.

Mar 06, 2016 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

the_norwegian

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nordic wildlife

Thank you everyone, i`m glad you likes my pictures! I have plenty more, i might make another post a later day Yes, these bears are well fed, i don`t think they come out of their den before they need to ;-) summer is coming to an end when these picures were taken, so they are almost as good and fat as they should be. Truly amazing animals! Not going there this year though, i`m saving up to my first african safari later this year! I can`t hardly wait!

Mar 06, 2016 at 05:39 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nordic wildlife

they are all fantastic. 8 is my favorite of the bunch.

Mar 06, 2016 at 06:16 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nordic wildlife

awesome images Asgeir

Mar 06, 2016 at 06:53 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nordic wildlife

What a wonderful collection of photos! Well done! Especially love the bear climbing the tree, and running through the water.

Mar 06, 2016 at 06:55 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nordic wildlife

What a wonderful set of images! The images with animal reflections are outstanding!
Keith W.

Mar 06, 2016 at 09:21 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nordic wildlife

these are just beautiful shots - is this area like a national park or just wild country -

Mar 06, 2016 at 10:47 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nordic wildlife

Love em!......especially #4. I have to look at that region tonight on the net. Seem to recall seeing Finnish grizzly images from other Nordic photographers in the past. And there was water in those images too. Very exciting place!

Sparrowhawk, Gray wolves, grizzlies. Ravens too ?

If I may ask.....what is the carcass that they are all drawn to ? Thank you. I want to go there one day

Mar 06, 2016 at 11:15 PM
the_norwegian

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nordic wildlife

sure, lots and lots of ravens as well as wolverines, golden and white tailed eagles, goshawk, great grey owls, buzzards, kites, lynx, although not right here, they of course avoid areas with lots of bears and wolves. Mostly moose-carcass, but also selfdead farm-animals. Check out this webpage : http://www.articmedia.fi/ for more info :-)

Mar 07, 2016 at 10:50 AM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nordic wildlife

wonderful set of images, thanks for posting

Vic

Mar 07, 2016 at 12:05 PM
buzzard
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nordic wildlife