FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              31       32       end

Archive 2016 · Canon Spring 2016

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon Spring 2016

The Sony folks are great, and it's nice to see a lot wider range of images then what tends to dominate here. Feel like a lot more shooting versus talking there.

molson wrote:
Perhaps you're thinking of the Sony forum... baiting the fanboys with their new "G Master" lenses?

Mar 10, 2016 at 07:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon Spring 2016

Yeah, the Sony images threads are more about photos and gear than squabbling about ideology. Not immune, but more pride in, "Look what this lens can do!"

Regardless, I'm still a floater between nations -- Canon, Nikon and Sony, with Canon the ancestral clan loyalty.

A "Summer" thread could even be a possibility for us So Cal shooters. We finally had a batch of rain, but that was following record setting temps in the upper 80s and 90s! Starting to warm up again, but not brutal summery conditions, now it's pleasant spring in the low 80s.

I got out today to do some A-B comparisons between the 5D2 with 45 TSE, and the D800e with the 45 PC-E. By and large I got more images in sharp focus with the Canon than the Nikon, which seems much fussier, but still has strong potential. Partly, I think the crappy LCD LV is to blame in daylight with the Nikon set-up. And the crummy construction of the T/S lens. We get spoiled here with Canon TSE lenses.

Here's a few to warm your hearts.

2-shot pano in landscape format

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    TS-E45mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

2-shot pano in landscape format

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    TS-E45mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/16.0    1/10s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 10, 2016 at 08:49 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon Spring 2016

adrianb wrote:
Didn't you have a 24L II ? and 1D IV ?

Well, the 1D Mark IV was the body behind all these lenses. The glass alone can't make a photo. Since I have no other body, I have omitted it from the description.
And there's no way I would've taken the 24L to that place - I was half expecting to return from there in more than one piece. Besides, it wasn't dark there, so there was no point in lugging the 24L there - I'm (mostly) saving it for shooting in challenging light. That's not to say that it doesn't excel in daylight shooting, stopped down... But I'm finding myself in a pretty ridiculous situation when my most expensive lens is also the least used because I'm either not needing it too much for every shoot, or plain afraid to take it on assignments.

how's the Sigma 14mm 2.8 ?

I have mixed feelings regarding this lens. It flares horribly in bright light (actually, it can catch flare spots even indoors). It isn't the sharpest along the edges (that looks like a field curvature issue to me, because in many cases there's an abrupt drop in sharpness when shot at large/medium apertures, while sometimes everything looks very nice at the very same aperture - guess it depends on the alignment of subjects WRT the curved plane of focus). The AF isn't 100% accurate in live view (but generally can be called very decent). At the same time, the lens is very sharp in the center, produces uniquely wide shots - I know there are alternatives that are as wide or wider, but each comes with a caveat of sorts anyway - and has a very short MFD of 18 cm that can be used to create unique perspectives. The focusing is fast and silent (although, as I've already said, it may not be QUITE as accurate as the 16-35/4L, which is not surprising). The build quality is great. All in all, I'm glad I've bought this lens... 6 full years ago, and counting.

(doesn't it overlap a bit with 16-35 F4L? I know there is a bit of difference in FOV between 14mm and 16, but it's worth owning both?

Hard to say because everyone has his/her own measuring stick. I'm not sure I would've kept the 14mm if I had been using a full frame body - 16mm on FF is wider than 14mm on APS-H so maybe the 16-35 would've been enough - but then there's no substitute for a wide lens except a wider one! I've bought it when the next widest lens I had was the 17-35/2.8L so there was a slightly wider gap, but even now I'm going to keep it... I guess on full frame I'd be getting much more "extreme" shots.
Besides, the two lenses have very different MFD (18cm on the 14 vs. 28cm on the 16-35) so the 14 can be used as a (funky) closeup lens.

Mar 10, 2016 at 08:59 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon Spring 2016

I finally had some time to go and shoot and I went to several places but barely saw anything at all. Both pics are heavily cropped due to the distance.

K White 2016

Eagle in sycamore tree top.

Canon EOS-1D X    EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

K White 2016

These usually are abundant at the lake I'm near but lately there haven't been many.

Canon EOS-1D X    EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 11, 2016 at 07:01 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon Spring 2016

Snopchenko wrote:
Well, the 1D Mark IV was the body behind all these lenses. The glass alone can't make a photo. Since I have no other body, I have omitted it from the description.
And there's no way I would've taken the 24L to that place - I was half expecting to return from there in more than one piece. Besides, it wasn't dark there, so there was no point in lugging the 24L there - I'm (mostly) saving it for shooting in challenging light. That's not to say that it doesn't excel in daylight shooting, stopped down... But I'm finding
...Show more

thanks for the response

i'm amused that you're not afraid to lug the 1D IV (which draws attention) and other lenses, but you were afraid with the 24L, which is pretty incognito

you should get a 5D3 (ditch the 1d IV and get a 5d3)

Mar 11, 2016 at 04:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon Spring 2016

First iris of the season in our front yard.

24/2.8 FDn with glassed adapter, f/2.8 on 5D2.

(X-posted on Phillip Reeve's "Under $99" thread on Alt forum)

Mar 11, 2016 at 05:02 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon Spring 2016

Looks like the poorly performing winter thread was ditched in favor of the according-to-calendar-not-yet-starter-spring-thread...

Anyway... winter is coming, so better stock that favorite wine of yours. I had a pretty nice time shooting these newly arrived bottles for my wine project. And since nobody will ever buy these, here are the photos...

Taken with a lowly 40D with 50 f1,8, 430 EX II bounced off the walls and ceilings.

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_5514-2.jpg

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_5481.jpg

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_5498-2.jpg

Mar 11, 2016 at 06:40 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon Spring 2016

adrianb wrote:
i'm amused that you're not afraid to lug the 1D IV (which draws attention) and other lenses, but you were afraid with the 24L, which is pretty incognito

Again, the 24L is a specialized low-light lens - it would've been a waste of bag space to take it on this present outing which was in daylight (I preferred to stuff the 14mm into the third available pocket). I had my 16-35/4 anyway which is the only lens that I never leave out of my kit so the 24mm would've been redundant.
On the other hand, the 1D Mark IV is my only camera so I kinda have little choice in this matter... (but see below)

you should get a 5D3 (ditch the 1d IV and get a 5d3)

No, I'll never part with the 1D IV willingly - it's a perfect camera in my opinion. Sometimes, when I'm too lazy to carry it (thankfully it's not happening very often yet) I'm borrowing my wife's 650D - which used to be mine anyway. That covers the "small, lightweight and inobtrusive" territory well, though I'm trying not to infringe on her ownership too much - she's fretting about it sometimes.

Anyway, here's some more shots I've done recently. I was shooting the Arsenal pavilion in the Tsarskoe Selo palace/park cluster. The building was badly damaged during the last war and has remained in a decrepit state since. Now it has been restored - many interior parts were made from scratch.
http://pp.vk.me/c628318/v628318358/37fff/xux3I2YTgOc.jpg
http://pp.vk.me/c633928/v633928358/17cca/yGaEdoFgxDc.jpg
I really should've taken the 14mm along - for some I didn't, preferring to stuff the flash into the third available pocket... Do I need to say that I never fired it once?
http://pp.vk.me/c633928/v633928358/17cd3/ekssD4t9IOM.jpg
Like I said, lots of stuff had to be done from scratch, including the heraldic shields. In summer the pavilion (built initially in mid-18th century and reconstructed to gothic style in 1817-34) will open to the public, hosting an exhibition of historic weapons.
http://pp.vk.me/c633928/v633928358/17cb8/p4iGeYorHFU.jpg
All was pretty well until a kind fellow photographer offered to let me use his fisheye lens... the 8-15/4L. And all hell broke loose. Note that this is maybe the third time in my life when I got a chance to use a fisheye lens, so my attempts must've been pretty clumsy. However, I admit it's been great fun. Actually the rightful owner of this lens can be seen in the top left corner... shooting with my 16-35/4 while I was abusing his lens.

Edited on Mar 11, 2016 at 09:23 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2016 at 09:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon Spring 2016

Snopchenko wrote:
No, I'll never part with the 1D IV willingly - ... Sometimes, ...I'm borrowing my wife's 650D - which used to be mine anyway. That covers the "small, lightweight and inobtrusive" territory well, though I'm trying not to infringe on her ownership too much - she's fretting about it sometimes.

Sounds like it's "6D time" for Ilya.

Mar 11, 2016 at 09:22 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon Spring 2016

jcolwell wrote:

I was thinking about that one but I can't justify owning a second camera anyway. Especially not in the current financial situation - the new job is roughly 40% less well paid and the financial cushion I got from getting sacked when the company was shutting down last October is now gone.
The prices for the electronic stuff like camera gear, however, have gone way up with the exchange rate (which is inching down again but surely won't get down to the pre-conflict levels). Every times I visit a gear store I'm in for a sticker shock because I'm so accustomed to the old prices. Used gear hasn't appreciated as dramatically but everything has become more expensive on the flea market as well - damn sure it would because the new gear has become so much dearer! However, someone coming in from the EU or US would have likely raked in a huge profit by buying used gear for roubles and shipping it back - one could've bought, say, a 17-40L for the equivalent of $300, a 24/1.4L II for $800 and, at one time, a 300/2.8L IS for $1850 (I was very tempted to get a loan from a bank and grab it while I could, but instead chose... to obtain a smaller loan and buy the 24/1.4L II with the last breath of pre-crisis prices). New gear, however, is firmly out of question (say, the 100-400L II or the Tamron 45/1.8).

Mar 11, 2016 at 09:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon Spring 2016

jcolwell wrote:

Snopchenko wrote:
I was thinking about that one but I can't justify ... Especially not in the current financial situation ...

That's what counts most: situation awareness.

Anyway, you're in good hands with the 1DIV. It's my "Charlton Heston" camera.

Mar 11, 2016 at 09:38 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon Spring 2016

A few signs of spring here...
Jerry

Blooming ornamental trees...

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/9.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Does looking pregnant...

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Wildlife (nutria, I think) mating...too bad, these imports are taking over otter habitat...

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:35 PM
slee915
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon Spring 2016

https://hello-kitty.smugmug.com/Children/2016/i-tvwJdLP/0/L/421A4103-Edit-L.jpg

200f/2L, inspired by Lisa Holloway

Mar 12, 2016 at 02:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon Spring 2016

Mar 12, 2016 at 02:52 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon Spring 2016

Shot at a quiet strong back lite situation, tried the best to expose and PP

5DsR, 100-400LII, 1.4xIII, liveview shoot on tripod for very slow shutter speed, around 0.5 sec

No flash is allowed

1G5A1599 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

1G5A1533 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

1G5A1524 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

Mar 12, 2016 at 06:10 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon Spring 2016

Snopchenko wrote:
Again, the 24L is a specialized low-light lens - it would've been a waste of bag space to take it on this present outing which was in daylight (I preferred to stuff the 14mm into the third available pocket). I had my 16-35/4 anyway which is the only lens that I never leave out of my kit so the 24mm would've been redundant.
On the other hand, the 1D Mark IV is my only camera so I kinda have little choice in this matter... (but see below)

No, I'll never part with the 1D IV willingly - it's a perfect camera in
...Show more

I mentioned about using the 24L , I didn't bring 'light' into the equation , I just meant that you can't 'baby' that lens forever....lenses are made....and bought to be used...

As for 1D IV vs 5D3, it was just a suggestion ... (5D3 bests it in pretty much every aspect, and you'll benefit more from your lenses, in terms of FOV/framing) . Unless you shoot a lot in the rain or really need the advantages of the 1D IV sealing over the 5D3.

Mar 12, 2016 at 08:10 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon Spring 2016

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Wildlife (nutria, I think) mating...too bad, these imports are taking over otter habitat...

Jerry

I think it's Ondatra zibethicus (don't know the exact name in english) I photographed one last autumn,a couple of months ago and was unsure of what it was exactly...

Mar 12, 2016 at 08:16 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon Spring 2016

adrianb wrote:
I mentioned about using the 24L , I didn't bring 'light' into the equation , I just meant that you can't 'baby' that lens forever....lenses are made....and bought to be used...

Ah... sure but I'm not only cautious, but also pretty lazy. I don't usually want to drag along more stuff than I absolutely need. Besides, my bag of choice, the Newswear.com chestvest, can't carry more than 4 items (camera + 3 lenses or 2 lenses and a flash). I also need to store all the extra stuff somewhere - notepad/pens, voice recorder, batteries... Maybe I need to use that Sigma padded case I got with the 14/2.8 more.
Surely I'm using the 24 when the situation warrants it, taking it as the third lens alongside the 16-35 and the 70-200/70-300. It's a unique lens class, even though it may have been bettered by the Sigma 24/1.4 since it was released.

As for 1D IV vs 5D3, it was just a suggestion ... (5D3 bests it in pretty much every aspect, and you'll benefit more from your lenses, in terms of FOV/framing) . Unless you shoot a lot in the rain or really need the advantages of the 1D IV sealing over the 5D3.

Well, you're not the first man to suggest this! However, the 5D3 is (I'm gathering the points most important for me):
a) more expensive;
b) has no built-in vertical grip, and with an extra grip it's as big as a 1D (it used to be a big deal for me; not so anymore since I'm working in an online media outlet now that doesn't use vertical pictures, but I often shoot them for my own use);
c) full-frame - which means that I'll be seeing more of the ugly corners on my lenses. Though the existing lenses would become a tad wider, of course, I would be unable to use select APS-C lenses as I'm sometimes trying to do;
d) I'm not sure how big is the difference in sealing, build and AF, but these areas are the ones where I wouldn't want to skimp artificially.

Mar 12, 2016 at 08:44 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon Spring 2016

I've seen the Art releases...but I'll hang on to my 24L II I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to Sigma AF

As for the 1D IV, it's a great camera, but obviously we have different 'takes' on things that matter to us, in those bodies (5d3/1DIV)

Mar 12, 2016 at 09:02 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon Spring 2016

adrianb wrote:
I think it's Ondatra zibethicus (don't know the exact name in english) I photographed one last autumn,a couple of months ago and was unsure of what it was exactly...

After a little Google research, I believe you're right; nutria have smoother fur and a blunter, more rodent-like head. Ondatra zibethicus (locally known as "muskrat") is more likely, and more common as well. Many thanks, though this pair is denning in a rocky outcrop where a family of otters were last year, so I still don't like 'em!
Jerry

Muskrat

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/7.1    1/1600s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:47 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password