FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8
The very popular Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 is now in stock at B&H Photo in very limited quantities.

Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E Mount

Main features:
  1. E Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
  2. Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
  3. Distagon Optical Design
  4. 4 Anomalous Partial Dispersion Elements
  5. 1 Aspherical Element
  6. Zeiss T* Anti-Reflective Coating
  7. Manual Focus Design
  8. Manual Aperture Ring Can Be De-Clicked
  9. All-Metal Barrel, Engraved Scales
  10. Weather-Resistant Lens Mount Gasket
  11. Filter Thread Front: 52 mm
  12. Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.44 x 2.83" (62.1 x 72 mm)
  13. Weight 13.90 oz (394 g)

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:12 PM
ecarlino
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

i have one arriving this afternoon that i grabbed when PopFlash had them earlier in the week.

i'm having second thoughts because i've never shot a MF lens before - so if someone wants a brand new, un-opened one, PM me before i send it back tomorrow.

subconsciously, i think i'm just trying to swap my lens lineup more than Guy :-)

(sorry if this is breaking the rules about listing things here, but i figured this is a service to the forum given it's still hard to get this lens)

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

ecarlino wrote:
i have one arriving this afternoon that i grabbed when PopFlash had them earlier in the week.

i'm having second thoughts because i've never shot a MF lens before - so if someone wants a brand new, un-opened one, PM me before i send it back tomorrow.

subconsciously, i think i'm just trying to swap my lens lineup more than Guy :-)

(sorry if this is breaking the rules about listing things here, but i figured this is a service to the forum given it's still hard to get this lens)

Lol

I'm really impressed by this lens. I shot it a lot in NY and just glancing at the images in C1 they just look really really good. It has a great look to it, nice contrast , saturation and a level of detail to write home about. Highly recommend it and I have a very nice copy of it. This one stays

Folks try some of the small shops too if the big boys got them my bet a shipment came in for everyone so call around. My bet a bunch of Batis glass came in too. Personally I had far better luck with smaller shops than the big guns when it comes to Zeiss. Sony seems the big guns get them first.

Not to forget FM does get a very small percentage if you use the links Fred provides so always nice to help these nice forums we visit.

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:46 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

looking fwd to your NYC shots - frankly, if i wasn't so in flux about the entire kit, i'd be more inclined to give this a try (but i'm interested in what the Batis 18 will be and would love a GM-labeled wide zoom)

but never having shot MF and now in my early 40s i just got glasses for the first time, i'm not sure my vision is up to par with my patience. i think i'm going to try with a used-cheap-adapted lens to see how i fare with MF before i take the plunge - i really want that look however that the Lox21 delivers!

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:55 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

I'm 59 and wear 2.75 readers. I can barely see the camera in my hand. Lol

Sonys are about the easiest to manual focus with zooming in and focus peaking. Either on LCD or directly in the EVF. You know there is a adjustment for the EVF for your eye. It may take a little time but you adjust.

If your shooting fast paced it's certainly harder but if your a landscape shooter it's not a issue.

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:59 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

ecarlino wrote:
looking fwd to your NYC shots - frankly, if i wasn't so in flux about the entire kit, i'd be more inclined to give this a try (but i'm interested in what the Batis 18 will be and would love a GM-labeled wide zoom)

but never having shot MF and now in my early 40s i just got glasses for the first time, i'm not sure my vision is up to par with my patience. i think i'm going to try with a used-cheap-adapted lens to see how i fare with MF before i take the plunge - i really want
...Show more

The focus peaking with the Sony is so good that I'm also thinking about trying a cheap adapted MF lens and see how I get on with it. Still trying to figure out what lens though....

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

What focal length do you need. Wide angles are a little easier until you get to super wide and it actually gets tougher but 28,35,50 are great

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:38 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Wider the better would get the most use. Kicking around a 12 or 15mm Voigtlander in M-mount, but wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking a less obvious but just as effective & cheaper option.

Or- I could just be patient and let Voigtlander come out with the 10,12, & 15mm E-mount versions and try one of those...

I was doing manual focusing with my FE 16-35 and found it easier than expected, Sony definitely did their homework when it comes to MF options.

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

gocolts wrote:
Wider the better would get the most use. Kicking around a 12 or 15mm Voigtlander in M-mount, but wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking a less obvious but just as effective & cheaper option.

Or- I could just be patient and let Voigtlander come out with the 10,12, & 15mm E-mount versions and try one of those...

I was doing manual focusing with my FE 16-35 and found it easier than expected, Sony definitely did their homework when it comes to MF options.

Well if your looking for a M mount 15 than you know who has one with no hood on it. Lol

I actually don't need it until I get a new one. So I could sell it anytime. I use the 21 much more

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

ecarlino wrote:

but never having shot MF and now in my early 40s i just got glasses for the first time, i'm not sure my vision is up to par with my patience. i think i'm going to try with a used-cheap-adapted lens to see how i fare with MF before i take the plunge - i really want
...Show more

Aw, don't give up on it just because it's MF. Focusing is a skill that can be learned with practice and it's a wide enough angle and slow enough aperture that even wide open you'll still be working with quite a bit of depth. And you've already found a lens that excites you to the point that you seem to feel a little intimidated by it. That's good. Let that drive you to learn what you're doing with it. Own it. Master it. Unless you can find a cheap alternative that excites you in the same way, you're probably just wasting money because you'll be more likely to use the fact that it's a "cheap lens" as an excuse not to use it. Besides, if it doesn't work out with the Distagon, you'll be able to offload it in a month without much or any loss. It's not like the floodgates are opening and retailers will have it sitting on shelves.

Mar 04, 2016 at 05:42 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

freaklikeme wrote:
Aw, don't give up on it just because it's MF. Focusing is a skill that can be learned with practice and it's a wide enough angle and slow enough aperture that even wide open you'll still be working with quite a bit of depth. And you've already found a lens that excites you to the point that you seem to feel a little intimidated by it. That's good. Let that drive you to learn what you're doing with it. Own it. Master it. Unless you can find a cheap alternative that excites you in the same way, you're probably just
...Show more

well, the Lox21 and Bat85 arrived about 2 hrs ago and i just could not resist.

i have to say the FM community is far and away the most spot on with respect to feedback - far more so than any paid blogs, etc.

i simply can't get over how small the Lox21 is (in a good way) but was prepared for the focus ring being too close to the aperture ring. and peripheral focus shift / field curvature is something i'll look out for.

interestingly, however, given how small the lens is, my right hand was cramping for the first time using an a7x camera - b/c normally i have a larger lens and can sit it in my left hand for support. getting old.

i like your thoughts/motivation and think i need to give this a try for a few months.

whereas my concerns about the Lox21 were more user-interface things, the Batis85 is a great form factor (at least relative to the GM 85) but i think i'm going to keep that as well b/c (for now) i'd like to see if i can prioritize the size of my kit even though i far and away prefer the rendering of the GM85 (although from reviewing hundreds of Bat85 photos online, my main concerns are when there are trees/leaves/foliage in the background - the OOF areas get really nervous)

Mar 04, 2016 at 06:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Now in stock at B&H Photo:

Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E Mount

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:12 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Wow, I spent my budget already on the G Master lens . But I would go for the upcoming Batis 18mm f/2.8 though.

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:24 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

AGeoJO wrote:
Wow, I spent my budget already on the G Master lens . But I would go for the upcoming Batis 18mm f/2.8 though.

AGeoJO - i was literally about to PM you b/c you just took the trip i'm going to take in May (Italy) and your kit (B25, Z35, Z55, B85) is what i've ended up with now as well - but my pfd kit would have been B21, Z35, Z55, B85 (b/c then all would have been 150% steps in FoV)

my Q is will you replace the B25 with the B18 or just add the B18 ?
how is the zoom going to affect your configuration? just adding for when you want the convenience? or will it be replacing one or more primes?

originally i thought that the foc lens were too close (i.e. B25 & Z35) but they are such different renderings that i think they can all co-exist and find their uses (i see the B25 and Z55 as a pair and the Z35 and B85 as another).

i tried the L21 but am too lazy/stupid to manually focus, despite how easy the a7r2 makes it (actually, it's just that my subject matter and opportunities to shoot these days tend to revolve around travel and i don't have enough time these days to compose, etc)

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

ecarlino wrote:
AGeoJO - i was literally about to PM you b/c you just took the trip i'm going to take in May (Italy) and your kit (B25, Z35, Z55, B85) is what i've ended up with now as well - but my pfd kit would have been B21, Z35, Z55, B85 (b/c then all would have been 150% steps in FoV)

my Q is will you replace the B25 with the B18 or just add the B18 ?
how is the zoom going to affect your configuration? just adding for when you want the convenience? or will it be replacing one or more
...Show more

I just bought the 24-70mm G Master lens and in that FL range, the Batis 25mm is the most "vulnerable" to be sold. Don't get me wrong, I love the rendition and the close focus capability of that lens. But my lens lineup has become a tad unwieldy to be honest with the G Master lens. So, if Zeiss comes up with the Batis 18mm, I will sell my Batis 25mm

But as far as matching pairs of prime lenses concerned on two bodies, my favorite is as follows: B25 & Z55, Z35 & B85 and B25 & Canon 14. If Zeiss indeed comes up with B18 then both my B25 and Canon 14 will be sold. Now, that if the G Master lens delivers, of course and based on what I have seen so far, it would.

Edited on Mar 31, 2016 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

Joshua, Fred, and Everyone,

I am glad that everyone is enjoying their Loxia 21 and Batis 25 and are looking forward to all ot the potential 18mm Loxia or Batis lenses.

For, me, I am going to just stick with my Leica WATE and my Leica 24mm f3.8 Asph lenses with my A7rM. The WATE may not be quite as sharp as the Loxia 21 at 21mm, but it is smaller and lighter than the Loxia and offers in addition both 16mm and 18mm to boot. Add to that the small size and light weight of my Leica 24mm Asph and I have a very small, light, and very functional and flexible system which I can swap out for different needs.

Rich

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

AGeoJO wrote:

Okay someone is as sick as I am. I feel so much better having company.

I think Fred is going down fast too.

Seriously this is the fun stuff. Everything else is work

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:20 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

GMPhotography wrote:

"Misery" loves company . I am not as bad though, at least so I think. I still have my Sony Zeiss 35mm that we bought together, while you went through 3-4 of them, then you tried the Tamron 35mm f/1.8, and then you moved on to Sigma 35mm Art and Sigma 24-35mm Art. I hope you will settle down with the G Master lens this time around at least for a month or so .

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

I think this really is the lens that fits a lot of different shooting. Once things settle down after the 2 GM I may look for serious look lens for fun. I canceled my Sigma MC-11 so I'm out on that one

Edited on Mar 31, 2016 at 07:15 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Now In Stock: Loxia 21mm f/2.8

GMPhotography wrote:

Hey, I still have my Loxia 21/2.8, Loxia 50/2, RX1RII, FE 28/2, FE 55/1.8 and FE 70-200/4G lenses.
The only lens I sold was my 16-35/4 to make space for the CV 15/4.5 E-mount and FE 24-70/2.8GM lenses.

I do have a Canon 135/2L mainly used for portraits which will probably be replaced for the new FE 85/1.4GM.

Wait, I just bought a Zeiss 15/2.8 ZE for night shooting and a Sigma 150-600mm for wildlife. (both Canon mount)

That's it folks.

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.