New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Alpha channel causing slight problems with image processor

Andrew Pece Photography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alpha channel causing slight problems with image processor

I searched this on the web and came up empty.

I've been running an action lately that produces a bunch of luminosity masks used for various purposes. when I run my sets through the image processor to output the jpgs, the processor is getting caught up a little and not able to close the image like it normally does. Although I believe the jpg output is unaffected? As I watch the image processor go through the process, it seems to be deleting all the alpha channels. I'm unclear why it thinks it would need to do that.

Anyway, any solution for this? Does it come down to having to manually delete the alpha channels myself after I use them?

Thanks.

Mar 04, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alpha channel causing slight problems with image processor

"As I watch the image processor go through the process, it seems to be deleting all the alpha channels. I'm unclear why it thinks it would need to do that."

Because jpeg does not support Alpha Channels.

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:04 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alpha channel causing slight problems with image processor

I thought it would essentially just flatten it and output though. The thing is, I know I have had alpha channels on many occasions, yet maybe not quite this many, and the image processor runs through without a hitch (ie the image windows dont remain open and I dont get an error message at the end). Not quite sure why the existence of more alpha channels would be a problem either.

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alpha channel causing slight problems with image processor

Flattening refers to layers, not additional channels. Jpegs don't support those either. Is is possible to introduce a step in your action to delete the alpha channel? If you manually try and save a flattened file as a jpeg that has an alpha channel, Ps will automatically Save A Copy of that file and strip the alpha channel for you, but still leave you to decide what to do with the version of the file with the extra channel.

Mar 05, 2016 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.