New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tripod and Head recommendation

Pguts
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod and Head recommendation

I've been searching around for a good tripod/head and looking in the $1,200 price range, carbon fiber preferably since I do a good bit of hiking. Any recommendations would be fantastic! I'm 6'4" so having a tripod that is around my height would be nice, but I am thinking the more expensive tripods might be overkill for what I'm going to be mounting on them. Rather have a good tripod that will last though just in case I do decide to get a 500 or 600 prime lens. Also, I'm not opposed to giving a Gimbal head a look at.

Here is my current gear that will be mounted the most and some of the tripods I was looking at:
Gear: Nikon D810, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Nikon 70-200

Tripods:
Gitzo Mountaineer Series 3
Benro COM48CXL
Induro GIT404XL (Leaning towards Induro with a good ballhead)

Heads: Really Right Stuff Full Sized Ball Head
Benro B5 Ballhead

Tripod + Head Combo: Really Right Stuff TVC 34L Combo

Thank you in advance!

Mar 04, 2016 at 08:55 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod and Head recommendation

Pguts wrote:
I've been searching around for a good tripod/head and looking in the $1,200 price range, carbon fiber preferably since I do a good bit of hiking. Any recommendations would be fantastic! I'm 6'4" so having a tripod that is around my height would be nice, but I am thinking the more expensive tripods might be overkill for what I'm going to be mounting on them. Rather have a good tripod that will last though just in case I do decide to get a 500 or 600 prime lens. Also, I'm not opposed to giving a Gimbal head a look at.

Here
...Show more

If you don't plan to attach a center post or spider leveler, I would recommend the Jobu Algonquin. It would sure beat the Benro and Induro in quality. Its minimalistic design means that you get one of the highest performance/weight ratio tripods. For ballhead, my sunwayfoto xb-44 can handle any load you throw at it, though, a 500 or 600 would want a gimbal head instead.

Mar 04, 2016 at 11:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod and Head recommendation

on the other side of that coin going with a tripod like the induro allows you a considerable amount of versatility in you tripod usage.

going to the RRS is just the a better/best thought out/engineered with better materials upgrade. I've been there with the TVC33 since it came out.

Mar 04, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Pguts
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod and Head recommendation

Thank you two for your opinions and recommendations! I'll have to keep researching and try and figure out the best options.

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:05 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod and Head recommendation

While its not the tripod you are after (alloy, not CF) I've been using an Induro AT214 with a Vanguard BBH-100 head for a couple of years now. More than happy with both pieces, my only caveat is that with the Vanguard you have to be careful not to strip the threads from the magnesium body as the lever lock makes it very easy to over tighten. That said, it took me not even 5min to fix mine with a tap and a helicoil insert should you encounter the same problem. Haven't got a single negative thing to say about the Induro, I think it is an excellent value

Mar 05, 2016 at 01:25 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod and Head recommendation

The Gitzo you mentioned is an excellent tripod. I personally prefer the Systematic 354x series (I have a GT3541XLS and I think the 3542 is current). While the XLS tripods are a bit heavier and maybe a little more expensive than the Mountaineers, I use the long extensions more than I'd expected. For example, I sometimes shoot standing on a rock and need to place the tripod on the ground beneath the rock, or stand on a river bank and want to place a leg into the river. I don't use extension simply to enable me to stand at the tripod, but the extra versatility has enabled me to get a lot of shots that would have been 'uncomfortable' or impossible to get otherwise.

For heads: I've got the RRS BH-55 and BH-40. Both are very fine heads. However I recently had an opportunity to check out an Acratech GP and really liked it. If I had it to do over, I'd think hard about Acratech heads. For example, I liked the Acratech clamp mechanics better than RRS: the cam lever has a lock and the opposite side is adjustable via a screw:
http://www.acratech.net/quick-release-clamps/gp-gps-quick-release-locking-lever-clamp

This is useful if you have 'odd' Arca Swiss compatible mounting plates. For example, I bought an articulating arm who's "Arca compatible" dovetail is way too narrow for RRS's clamp mount, but would work fine on the Acratech.

If you've got a local camera club or meetup group, you might have an opportunity to handle various support bits, which I highly recommend before investing in a really good tripod/head setup.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:27 PM
Pguts
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod and Head recommendation

I was looking at the Series 3 Systematic XL version also. Must have forgotten to put it up there! Probably will end up going with the Gitzo Series 3 6X Systematic XL.

Still up in the air about the ballhead though. Not sure of any local Camera club or meetup groups around me, but haven't really searched. Might see if there is one around before making the purchase.

Thank you for your input Abbott!

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.