Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple of portraits

Thoughts welcome.

Mar 04, 2016 at 07:56 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple of portraits

Anurag, the second is stronger in most areas IMO. Perhaps lose some off the left and retouch the skin around the nose/mouth.

The is quite flat, noisy and lacks contrast - doesn't have the pop. Although the connection with the eyes seems more intimate in the first. There is mystery in the shot, especially with no [significant] catchlights in the eyes.

I don't know - maybe I should be thinking more before I reply.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 04, 2016 at 08:25 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple of portraits

Agree with Jeff's observations.

Pretty lady in first photo, with a becoming pose. However, I suspect this was shot at high ISO? and considerable post processing as lighting seems unnatural and unflattering.

Second portrait, far better, although posing someone straight on creates broad shoulders. In portrait photograhy, effective and creative posing is the biggest challenge.

Steve

Mar 04, 2016 at 09:49 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple of portraits

Better pose in one.
Re-processed below

Scott

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple of portraits

I'd say the first portrait is a quite nice one let down by the rendition. The direct glance over her shoulder and half smile shows her with an appealing attitude. On the down side, I confess I personally find the current fad for Instagram type filter effects distasteful. So if the underexposed, washed-out and strange color was an artistic choice, ...well ... it's one I don't "get", but that doesn't mean much if it appeals to you or to folks more photo fashion conscious than I.

The second is technically fine, but as a portrait isn't flattering and doesn't have much to say about the subject, except, "here's what she looks like".

If the objective is to show a subject to her or his best, one of the first things I suggest is to carefully examine the shape of the subject's face. How symmetrical is it? Is one side fat and the other thin? Is one masculine and the other more feminine? Are the eyes asymmetric? Is one more appealing than the other? How is the nose shaped? Does it point to the side slightly off-center? How is the chin shaped? What features about the subject's face add to her/his appeal? Does the subject have a "best side"? (You can ask the subject if she or he has a favorite side.) If the subject has a small nose and a fat face, get closer and use a shorter lens. That will make the nose seem stronger and the face thinner, assuming you want a more flattering image. Thin face and long nose, shoot from further away with a longer lens. Try different angles and views. In general, try to pose the subject to flatter or emphasize desirable aspects and minimize less appealing aspects. A direct frontal pose can make a subject look heavier and more massive. Good for a fullback. Not so good for most women who aren't so thin everyone nags them to eat more. In addition to considerations of how to show the subject most appealingly, does the portrait need to say something else or in addition? The best portraits often have something to say about the subject.

Here's a stab at rendering the first more conventionally while trying to keep some of what I suspect may be you color preference. The others illustrate the asymmetry you usually find in a typical subject's face, using your second subject. People instinctively find symmetrical faces more appealing than asymmetric ones. Since most people have a face that's to some degree asymmetric, that's why most good portraits of ordinary folks usually look better if the subject has a pose and is shot from an angle that wouldn't be allowed on a passport. That's why she'd be better served with lighting and a pose chosen to flatter her.

Revised post processing (extensive)

Combined face with subject's right side mirrored as the left side.

Combines face with the subject's left side mirrored as the right side.

Edited on Mar 04, 2016 at 03:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple of portraits

Great summary Karen. Bookmark-worthy.
As should be clear, I elected to reprocess the first image along a more natural white balance and with more a traditional contrast.

Scott

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:03 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple of portraits

Wow Karen - fantastic post!

Jeff

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:29 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple of portraits

Oh, and missing a catch-light? Consider adding one in post.

In my old Kodachrome days, I occasionally had to add catch-lights with a pin to dig away a spot of emulsion.

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:55 PM
mitchrice

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A couple of portraits

I really like the mood and pose on the first shot.
I think any issues with the image can be fixed in post production.
If you are looking to improve your image as you are shooting then the addition of a fill card to bounce some light into the eyes would have been a nice touch. The flip in the hair was distracting to me so I made sure to adjust the crop tighter.

The second image feels static in both pose and lighting. Karen has given some amazing insights on that. Heed her wonderful advice!

Here are my edits of the first image...

Trying to keep the color pallette from your image.

A black and white edit...

Mar 04, 2016 at 08:07 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A couple of portraits

I'll be interested to hear from Anurag if the processing in the first was intentional. The only thing I'll say until then is the pose and expression of the first is far better.

Mar 05, 2016 at 08:32 AM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A couple of portraits

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful input. I shall read it again later today once I've had my coffee.

As Mr. Macmillan suspected, the post processing in the first image was intentional and upon request (from Ryki). I don't dislike it perhaps as much as others. I actually thought the image conveyed a sense of mystery. As to the lack of catchlights...it was the cloudiest of days so there wasn't much I could do about that. I have loathed the results I've gotten from the sb910 flash most likely due to my inability to use it correctly. I also was thinking of the tv show 'the killing' when I took the picture. Wanted to edit it to look like something from there.

If anyone is interested, I have shared some more pictures of Michelle (#2) here ... http://manyfacesof.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-female-steph-curry-michelle.html

Mar 05, 2016 at 09:33 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A couple of portraits

I see I was correct in my assumption. That's why I don't normally "correct" the work of others before checking. The other responders tend to be more traditional and technical, I'm not surprised by their reaction to your treatment.

Even though it may be a fad, I like it. I might use slightly different settings if it were my photo, but that's just a difference in taste.

Next time you have a dreary day like that, try getting a catchlight with a flash with the exposure on the flash dialed way down, say -2 or -3. If done right, you it won't be obvious.

Mar 05, 2016 at 10:44 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A couple of portraits

Can see the killing allusion now that you pointed it out.

Mar 07, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A couple of portraits

Anurag. Got to give it to you, you are perseverant.

I will comment on a broader base for your photography of women which you post here and in the People thread.

Photography of Beauty is multifaceted. Leaving aside the technical part which is a subject on it's own. Your Posing and Composing should be more developed.

I do not intend to cover posing or composing as these cannot be covered in one post or one dedicated website to that matter.

What I like to point out based on all your published pictures is your go easy attitude towards the models. People need to be directed and not left to their own whims.....inspite that, there will always be a couple of good shots within the laws of probability. You have to impose your own model direction and learn how to asses a face and a body and determine what would be the best angle/comp/perspective for them.

Either super talented amateurs or seasoned professionals can get away with shooting only a dozen shots. Everybody else shoots 300+ pictures to end up with half a dozen.

This is a technical and personal style aspect which should be learned in the former and developed in the later.

Either you are too kind to them while taking the shots or you are not concentrating on the objective and result. It is a common situation when male photographers are somehow inhibited in presence of ladies. Some have the shakes or sweating or just want to get the shots and correct in post. Any beautiful face will deliver a nice picture even if shot with a Lego camera. There is good and there is outstanding. Forget the good and try to reach for the outstanding.
Why a shutter speed of 1/800s? Is it for the Bokeh at a f2.5 as you in aperture priority mode! In which case and as you are using the 85/1,8, her face should be tack sharp. Softness added in post?

Karen does provide some good advice to be printed on a paper and placed at your bedside table. Thousand of Youtube provide a ton of posing and direction tips.

You want to photograph a lady, you have to fall in love with her during the shoot.

Mar 08, 2016 at 01:47 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.