New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

alexdi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

What's your favorite set of bags or attachments for an existing pack?

I've started doing trips that involve staying away from civilization for a week or more. I'm usually hiking ten or more miles a day with this internal-frame hiking pack:

https://www.rei.com/product/846410/osprey-aether-70-pack

While I'm on the trail, I like to keep camera and lenses accessible. I'm usually holding the camera, but sometimes need to put it down. I also frequently change lenses. My kit is an X-T1 with 3 or 4 lens, each about the size of Canon's 85/1.8.

When I last went out, I had a couple of Tamrac belt-clip lens pouches and a holster-style camera case that I finagled over the wide waist-strap of the hiking pack. This was problematic because the assembly was unstable, too low (and bounced constantly as a result) and required readjustment every time I took the pack off.

Is there perhaps a harness system that wouldn't interfere with the hiking pack if worn underneath? Or some clever way of attaching other accessories to the pack? I'm keen to hear anything interesting, this one has been vexing me for awhile.

Mar 04, 2016 at 05:20 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

there was a thread or two with questions on what to use when trekking or mountain biking. one of the suggestions is below:

https://www.peakdesign.com/capture/

I personally have not used the product, but it appears to be sufficient for camera + short focal length lenses combo as yours.

Mar 04, 2016 at 06:50 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I would think that 3-4 lenses is 1-2 too many to hike that far with, inc. a week of hiking gear.

Mar 04, 2016 at 07:27 AM
jiannazzone
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I add extension webbing with Fastex buckles to the adjustment straps at the top of the pack straps and attach something like a Lowepro Toploader. A webbing belt through the waist loop on the back of the bag goes around me chest to keep the bag from swinging. It keeps the weight off my neck and on the pack harness. Extra lenses are in pouches inside the pack.

Mar 04, 2016 at 07:28 AM
rustinm

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I have the Peak Design Capture that I use when the family goes hiking. I like it better than the old way I had of hanging the camera from the D rings on the straps of my pack. The nice thing with the peak design is that it stays in place not bouncing around. I've also used it when walking around vacations and having the capture connected to my belt.

Mar 04, 2016 at 08:44 AM
woutgeo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I regularly do backpacking trips with a setup that sounds somewhat similar to yours. I shoot with a canon 5D mk2 and my typical packing list is geared towards bringing lighter lenses that still cover a range of focal lengths: 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4 (or 24-70 f/2.8 if I care less about weight), 70-200 f/4 (or the Tamron 150-600 when I really don't care about weight), and a 50 1.4. I then strap a gitzo 1532 to the side of my pack. I also use the Peak Design Capture with all of these lenses attached (other than the tamron). It works well, especially once you get used to it. At first, I did find clipping and unclipping to be a little challenging and I still haven't gotten to the point where I trust the clip without having my shoulder strap clipped into my backpack chest strap as a backup. That said, I really like having access to my camera while I am hiking. After some time I can feel the weight on my hip (especially with the 24-70). This setup can also be a little annoying with zoom lenses that creep. I've hear rubber bands can be helpful, but I haven't tried this. One more important thing: I attach the Capture to a nylon strap that goes across my waist strap. It looks like the pack you linked to doesn't have a strap like this so you'd have to figure out a different setup.

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:08 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

jiannazzone-- My 'light' kit was a 5D II, 100/2, and 16-35/2.8. I used exactly the same bag, though wasn't as clever with the webbing. Good thought.

howardm4-- The full kit comprises the two above and a walkaround zoom (24-105/4 on FF, 18-135 on crop). If I leave something at home, that's it. I just bought a fisheye. Not sure if it'll be a regular thing yet. Seems promising for the outdoors.

I've actually got one of those Peak Design plates or one very similar. I found it was painful with a 5D II and a heavy pack. It dug into my chest. Haven't tried the X-T1 yet; maybe it improves?

The chest pack approach sounds promising. It really just needs to be big enough to hold four lenses and keep its shape. Minimal padding, minimal weight. Does anyone have a bag of this sort they like?

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:54 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

here is another option

http://sectionhiker.com/mystery-ranch-wet-ribs-the-hikers-office/

that is the successor company to the famed Dana Designs

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:01 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I strap a Think Tank digital holster to the outside of my Osprey, same one as your's.

Mar 04, 2016 at 04:40 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I have a Lowe Pro Toploader 75 with chest harness. It takes the DLSR with medium zoom attached, and underneath there is space for a wide angle. You can strap on additional lens cases to the side if you want, and it has a rain cover built in. The balance is good, and it's very convenient if you want to shoot handheld whilst you walk.

http://store.lowepro.com/shop/dslr?features_lowepro=189

Mar 04, 2016 at 04:47 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

F-Stop Navin on the chest, with a small lens barrel on each waist strap. They use the Molle attachment system, so there's very little bouncing around.

Mar 04, 2016 at 04:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

rw11 wrote:
here is another option

http://sectionhiker.com/mystery-ranch-wet-ribs-the-hikers-office/

that is the successor company to the famed Dana Designs

there was the Wet Rib and Dry Rib. at this point not available on the MR site. sent off an email to see if they are still have on or 2 around.

Mar 04, 2016 at 05:41 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

This looks pretty compelling:

No bag interference, no need to reclip or rearrange things if I want to leave the bag next to the trail an wander off. No lens protection either though, so might could add some neoprene pouches.

The F-Stop line looks well thought-out, though I'm not seeing an option designed to help manage multiple small lenses. A fallback possibility was an older Tamrac 515 with a couple of modular pouches or Lowepro's similar Off-Trail 1. Strange that neither brand has anything similar in their current line.

Mar 04, 2016 at 06:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I think i'll give it a go. thank you. don't really need more padding.

Mar 04, 2016 at 06:58 PM
pyro_

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I use a think tank digital holster or one of their mirorless movers for larger mirorless cameras. For smallers ones I use lowepro dashpoint bags

Mar 04, 2016 at 10:50 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

An update on this--

I ordered both the small and large Ribz. Both fit fine (6'1, V-build), but they're really designed for small or soft things that easily mold to your body. Lenses dig into my chest because there's no padding of any sort. With the small version, my Fuji kit was a very tight fit, I couldn't easily store the lenses upright, and the zipper design meant either safety and inaccessibility or a risk of dropping something. The large had more space, but still required too much fiddling in practice.

I'm still sold on the chest approach, though. The next thing on order is a set of Tamrac's Arc MOLLE-compatible lens pouches. They're among the only lens-sized padded pouches that will pair with the huge variety of 'tactical' chest harnesses ("rigs"). These look like they might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-OPS-Chest-Rig/dp/B0072KBJDS/
http://www.us-elitegear.com/high-ground-the-chest-rig

They'll all take the Tamrac pouches, flashlight cases, and whatever other random 'tactical' thing I can dream up. The latter four use a neoprene composite fabric instead of nylon. I've no idea which breathes better. Here's to hoping the cheap one solves the problem.

Edited on Jun 07, 2016 at 10:34 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2016 at 02:10 AM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

Here's another option along the same lines:

http://zehphotoblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/aarn-bodypack-review-with-photo-balance.html

I'm not sure I'd want to do much in the way of off-trail through a rhododendron "hell" here in the Southern Highlands with one, but for trails and the wide-open spaces out West it might fit your requirements.

Mar 08, 2016 at 08:57 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

I've been using Peak Design Capture Pro clip since their first kickstarter, and do a lot of hiking. Depending on the trip, what I might expect to photograph and difficulty of terrain I choose either a small daypack, F-Stop Loka or Clik Elite Contrejour 35. Regardless of gear, there's a Capture Pro attached to my left shoulder strap for quick access. Also, regardless of pack I have a spare Lowepro or Pearstone padded molle lens case attached to my belt strap with blower, lens cloth, spare battery and a place to put lens cover.

For short hikes in my woods I use a think tank pro speed belt, also with capture pro and a padded lens case or three.

This system works very well for me, I'm a big fan of the capture pro system.

Mar 08, 2016 at 10:54 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

Another nice bit of kit. I wonder if the extra pockets are specific to that bag? Interesting anyway.

I like the idea of the Peak Design, but I could never get comfortable with heavy gear. The backer plate isn't big enough on me to prevent the whole rig from tilting down into my chest.

Mar 08, 2016 at 11:03 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carrying a camera with a hiking pack in the backcountry

Obviously 5-6lbs of camera gear hanging from anything while mobile is going to be uncomfortable and unsafe. I wouldn't even try.

Mar 08, 2016 at 12:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.