New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Storing 11x14 photos

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing 11x14 photos

Hi all,

I'm trying to store 11x14 photos ... do any of you know if there are binders or photo holders that can accommodate such large photos? (These photos are printed out)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing 11x14 photos

I use the Century Box for bulk print storage. Make sure whatever you use is made from archive grade materials.

EBH

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:16 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing 11x14 photos

Yes, something like that. Move up a category (breadcrumb) and you'll see that thousands of products are available. Drop-front boxes etc etc.

Also get some appropriately sized interleaving tissue or pkg of clearbags (I just slice the flap off the bag when I'm using them way..

Mar 04, 2016 at 07:25 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing 11x14 photos

That Century Box looks great! I think I'll get one for my exhibition photos! Thanks for the suggestion!

Has anyone tried a Pioneer 12 by 16 for more of a family photo album?

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:03 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing 11x14 photos

Also check out Light Impressions, they haven been around for years and are quality company. I have film, slides, and prints stored in their products that are still fine after 40+ years.

Mar 04, 2016 at 10:21 PM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing 11x14 photos

Has anyone used Itoya?

Mar 08, 2016 at 10:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing 11x14 photos

I have a couple of their large format presentation portfolios or whatever they are called, but that was purchased many years ago. I think you will be fine with any of the long-established companies that sell archival products.

EBH

Mar 09, 2016 at 01:46 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storing 11x14 photos

AFC168 wrote:
Has anyone used Itoya?

I have one Itoya binder and don't like it. They use plastic pages to hold your photos. The plastic reflects the light and makes it hard to see the photo. I use Clamshell type of boxes with tissue between the photos. This allows people to actually hold and feel the paper and see the print surface without having to look through a piece of shiny plastic.

Mar 09, 2016 at 08:12 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storing 11x14 photos

Thanks for suggestions!

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:03 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storing 11x14 photos

See my response earlier in the thread. I was using a box w/ either interleaving tissue and/or clearbags. I recently got an Itoya 13x19 and I certainly 'get' what Chez is talking about. A big piece of the print experience is in the tactile feel of the paper and surface. You can really lose that w/ an Itoya or similar (or clearbag) although most people don't appreciate that part of it. They know that something is 'different' about those prints (ie. matte or cotton rag) but can't verbalize what it is.

The Itoya is convenient but I'm still debating on whether to continue using it or go back. It's very hard to add or resequence the prints in the Itoya and a 13x19 book w/ 48 pages is pretty big already. I would think it's better if you tend to show the book/prints a lot to customers or teachers etc. In a box, the prints would inevitably get oils and damaged etc.

Each system has its pros and cons but having both, I think I'm leaning toward the box.

Apr 14, 2016 at 05:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.