Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

So when I bought my 5k imac, I had one 16gb installed, knowing I would upgrade in the future.

It's slowing down in PS/LR more than I want it to, so I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge.

Would it be okay to add another 16gb stick, possibly from a different brand with different specs, or is it much better to just start over with two fresh identical 16gb sticks?

Or is it no difference at all?

Mar 02, 2016 at 02:40 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

dunno if there would be a problem if you match specs

OWC seems to be THE place for memory

Mar 02, 2016 at 02:42 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

Interesting, didn't know you could use just one stick. You sure its one stick vs 2-8gb sticks?

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:17 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

Hi thebeginning

According to everything I have read, the best performance is when there are pairs of memory cards (no doubt with overlapped accessing between the cards for performance).

Most likely if you purchased the iMac through Apple or an authorized seller it is probably two of the four memory slots are being used with each being 8G.

In that case you could add 2x8G in the remaining slots to double the memory. They need to be specific memory cards and I suggest going with a well know memory provider. Already mention was OWC at www.macsales.com

Here is the link to the memory support page for Apple iMacs to help you select the correct memory: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

Note that there are multiple 5K apple machines and the late 2015 model uses a different memory that the 2014 and mid 2015 5K models. That is important.

If you actually have a single 16G card (doubtful and probably not from an authorized dealer) then you would have to verify that the memory installed is the correct model type and you could add a single memory card to match. The specs of the cards would have to be correct and identical for there not to be performance issues.

Hope this info is helpful.

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:59 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

My bad on that, it's 2x8gb (not sure why i thought otherwise).

I guess my main question now is, would 2x16gb be better in any other way (vs. 4x8gb) aside from possible future expansion room?

Mar 02, 2016 at 04:54 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

I will assume that you have a late 2015 5K iMac which supports up to 64G total. If you do not, then added 2x8G to max out at 32G is the way to go.

Given my assumption of max 64G late 2015 5K iMac, I have a different suggestion keeping in mind expansion. Yes go for the 2x16G yet also leave the 2x8G in the iMac yielding 48G system. Then if and when you expand to 64G, all your throwing away is the 2x8G original set and replace with another pair of 2x16G

If you are more cost sensitive right now, just add the 2x8G, then in upgrading you could through the first pair of 2x8G away replacing with 2x16G for total of 48G and then if needed another upgraded throwing out the last 2x8G and replacing with another 2x16G for a total of 64G. You end up throwing away four 8G cards yet later on the 16G cards will have down in price as well.

I think those are all the options and the best depends on your needs. Hope this helsp.

Mar 02, 2016 at 05:30 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

Which ever way you decide you may want to consider keeping the original Apple supplied memory. If you ever need service from Apple, especially under warranty they want the Apple supplied RAM in the machine.
I believe I have read that if you send it to them with third part RAM installed they may hold things up.

Mar 02, 2016 at 05:34 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

I would advise you to go the Crucial Technology site and follow the path they provide to specify your Mac model and then get four 8GB DIMMS to replace the 4s you have.They have good prices on sets of DIMMs. I have never had a problem in getting a Mac serviced by Apple with RAM installed from Crucial. I did make a mistake years ago when I ordered DIMMS from another vendor for the 'sunflower' iMac - it was incorrect, ditto their replacement memory, and the machine went crazy. I finally went to Crucial and got the right DIMMS. I learned a lesson. You have to be careful about where you get memory sticks.

PS: I haver no connection or stock in Crucial, just find them reliable and economical.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:22 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading iMac Memory: One new stick, or two identical?

pjbishop wrote:
I would advise you to go the Crucial Technology site and follow the path they provide to specify your Mac model and then get four 8GB DIMMS to replace the 4s you have.They have good prices on sets of DIMMs. I have never had a problem in getting a Mac serviced by Apple with RAM installed from Crucial. I did make a mistake years ago when I ordered DIMMS from another vendor for the 'sunflower' iMac - it was incorrect, ditto their replacement memory, and the machine went crazy. I finally went to Crucial and got the right DIMMS. I
...Show more

You could substitute OWC for Crucial Technology in your comment and the statement would be just as accurate.

I have been buying RAM for Apple computers there for nearly 25 years ... never had an issue with warranty service by Apple ... never had a bad customer service issue with OWC. Only ever had one stick of RAM that had issues in all that time and they replaced it without question, without waiting to receive the faulty stick.

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.